From Africa to the UK...we require some much needed help and advice.

Iain&Sons

Hi there...we've (self, 3 young Sons and my wife) recently arrived in the UK from Zimbabwe after having lost our family farm during the Government sponsored land invasions, having never been compensated. We are based down in West Sussex and are adamant about rebuilding our lives over here, along a similar rural lifestyle to what we led back home, which included hunting, fishing and shooting....more shooting than hunting. We are a friendly down to earth family with some exciting tales to tell about our lives growing up in Africa and would like to establish coms with folk in this region who'd be prepared to advise / guide us or point us in the right direction with regards to where we can do some pigeon and rabbit shooting, including who to chat to and how to go about doing so. Our Sons, ages 13, 15 and 17 are desperate to shoot Pigeons, Rabbits, Crows and Rats in exchange for any work required by the farmer on his or her farm. All 3 of them have got themselves 7 day a week 5h30 pre school "paper rounds" and are more than willing to pay their way. We have no intentions of standing on toes or upsetting syndicates in our endevour to get started. I've been very fortunate in having hunted all my life back in Zimbabwe as well as up in the Eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo and I'd like my 3 Sons to follow suit, although on a revised scale. I am more than willing to advise any folk who'd be interested in going on a "plains game hunt" or bird shooting safari to Southern Africa in return for us being able to shoot over here. All 3 are looking at starting from scratch by purchasing Air Rifles Decoys etc. etc. and need some advice re which makes would be their best options and why.... Thanks. Iain

HI Iain and welcome hope you find yourselves some sport. The BASC website is a great place to start the maze that is UK firearms law it has changed recently regarding air rifles and under 18's so you should read up on this as your lads are under 18. I am sure coming from africa the concepts of british firearms legislation will probably be baffling.

Have a look here http://basc.org.uk/youngshots/there are young shots events held around the country and there may well be one near to you in sussex.

Welcome Iain and family, that was one of the best introductions I've read for a while. Hope it all goes well for you here in all aspects of life. BASC as HDAV says is a great first place to read up and this will prove important otherwise it is too easy to assume the old habits.

I am no where near your part of the country so can offer little or no help unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...