velocity and air guns

lee m

i tried to ask earlier on a different topic, so thought id start a new one, is it velocity that counts rather than foot pounds when hunting,iv done a hell of a lot of shooting, all my life, but i seem to get better results with faster ammo, .20 seems to be better than .22, also why

do pnumatic airguns seem to fire the pellet faster than springers, its bugged me for years, is this all just in my head?

hi lee,,can I just say that judging by the amount of new topics you have started the best advice I can give you is if you need to know about air rifles,speeds,pellets,and basically anything else then on the top right hand side of the pigeon watch page there is a search bar,,enter what your looking for there and click on search, if you get no joy there then my advice is enter it in the google search bar and it will come up with a list click on them and have a good read because its amazing what you can find about velocities and pellets and also basically anything to do with air rifles,

with regards velocity and airguns I would remove that from your head and concentrate on being accurate with whatever calibre you decide to buy,

.177 is a faster pellet than .22 due to it being lighter .177 also has a flatter trajectory but BOTH will do the same job at the end of the day also a pcp is easier to use than a springer due to there being less recoil, I could go on for hours and hours so my advice would be have a look on the net and have a good read, I,m sure you will find the answer to all your questions out there,

please don't think I,m being funny because I,m not I,m just trying to help,

atb Evo

Here's an interesting question that might help you:

Why is the limit set at an energy limit (ft/lb) and not a velocity limit?

If speed is key, surely it'd make more sense to have a speed limit, not an energy limit?

The reason is that it makes the actual impact a pellet can have much more constant. If you had an speed cap at the level of a .177 - say 780fps, as my R10 does - some dangerous clown could have a .25 and be generating over three times the energy. Under the current law, you'd need a fire arms certificate for power levels like that and with good reason - it's energy and not speed that does the damage. Having a ft/lb standardises everything based on the energy it can transmit. .177 need to be going faster to hit the target with broadly the same amount of energy as a .22. The effect is the same (actually, the heavier rounds retain their energy a little better at long range, so the impact energy can be a little higher in a .22 than a .177).

The result is that as evo said, you get different characteristics for the different calibres and it's up to the shooter to decide which ones fit his shooting better. But as the dangerous, brick hurling maniac that is Falcon Fn ( :P ) said, it's meaningless if you miss! get your accuracy sorted first, then worry about loopy trajectories, instability in wind, over penetration, under penetration, availability of pellet types and all other variables that affect calibre choice afterwards.

Edited by chrisjpainter

as usual, very well put by chrispainter,

couldn,t have put it better myself :good::good: by the way chris, have you seen how accurate FalconFN can throw a brick, I,ve heard on the grapevine he can hit a binlid 9/10 at 35yrds :lol::lol:

have to say falconFN it was a very well explained view, nice one

atb Evo