decoying pigeons?

lee m

I have had bags up to 30 with my airgun , I normally set up near a sitty tree and put a few decoys out in the field , the majority are normally shot out of the tree with the odd one from the decoys.

A good hide is essential especially this time of year as the pigeon can drop into the tree in large numbers and that a awful lot of beady eyes looking out for danger.

That's the idea ... Find the trees they like and position yourself a about 15 yards from them! Try not to sit directly under them!! This can create a lot of hold over and hold under problems??

Same rules apply as for shot gunning but,, you must be more concealed and above all sit real still so they come in with confidence an not jitter about.

Have done in by sitty tree's or earlier this year, went out for a couple of hours, small pattern of 10, two crows, had a bag of 20. As long as you have a relative amount of cover and you can squeeze a shot of relatively sharpish then you should be okay. There seems to be an awful lot of people who are wrong in thinking and telling that pigeons wont decoy in to decoys even if they are full bodied. What a lot of ****! If a pigeon takes note of a pattern and commits to coming in (where many are shot if shotgunning) then they will 9/10 land in your pattern and present a shot for an air rifle.

I decoy pigeons to my airgun, sadly though I haven't found a suitable sitty tree where I go and have to batch up in a hedge and set out a pattern on a field or wherever I've seen them graze about in the past and at what time. I started off using just 6 shells facing into wind in a loose 'U' shape and had enough action to make it interesting. My biggest bag in sessions a few hours long though has been only 6, but there was fairly regular interest. I then bought some full bodied decoys earlier in the year and painted them up myself with matt enamels lightly washed on but haven't had a chance to give them a good go yet as rabbits and crows took over my priorities so can't compare but they look more realistic than the shells so I'm hoping they'll be fine.. http://www.whistlingwings.co.uk/acatalog/1-EAPD1.html (I got 3 head up and 3 head down feeding decoys). Some people swear by flocked full bodied decoys but mine are matt now I painted them and should be ok as long as they stay fairly dry...

It all depends on what you expect as being a good day really, I wouldn't particularly want to shoot 20-30 pigeons for the pot in one sitting and have found taking half a dozen or so really rewarding and showing me that I must be doing something right.. Set your furthest bird in the pattern out as a marker to your furthest shooting range and when they land, wait for them to feel a bit uneasy and freeze holding their head still, then take the shot..... :good:

I used to decoy with flock shells. My most successful spot was in the corner of a field, with an ivy covered dead tree upwind to the west on one side and a hedge covered ditch opposite about 20 yards away. The pigeons would often fly down to the decoys set close to the tree, with a few upwind, but usually settled just above in the ivy, where I could pick them off with my Webley Viper. I always wore a mask and lay prone under a camo net, resting on the lip of the ditch.

It was very much a waiting game, I think four was the most in two hours, although the occasional rabbit would poke it's nose out too. Stopped doing it when the tree eventually blew down. I prefer roost shooting them now with my FAC Career 707 .22.

• 4 weeks later...

It's just about the best sport you can have with an air rifle, especially when the birds start showing an interest in wheat or barley, even better when the combine has been round. My best bag this year was 26, my average about 10 so decoying can put plenty of good meat on the table. I use a mixture of full bodied deeks and fuds, have hides built into hedges all round my permissions so I can take advantage of the wind direction. Winter shooting is a bit more difficult so I don't bother too much, the birds are feeding in the woods mostly and aren't causing a problem.

Give it a go, get some decoys, netting and poles, try building some hides, try and identify any feeding pattern or flightlines and keep an eye out for pigeon poo under trees, a sure sign that they use that tree regularly.

Good luck!

A springer too?

U.

Yes, .177 Prosport, my favourite for static / hide shooting. Shooting off padded sticks it's as accurate as a PCP but when it's quiet I can do unlimited plinking to keep my eye in. I have used my S200 in a hide but it hasn't got the same appeal or satisfaction. The S200 is for walking with and covering ground.

Regards

Tim

• 1 month later...

Yea give it a go lee it's not easy but you will get better at it we had a few successful trips, doing exactly what has already been mentioned. Decoy them into a sitty tree or the like. I used to find if I waited until the birds head slumped into it's shoulders you could make a little more movement than when they first land and are still on the look out. There beads are up and looking around, after 5-10mins they will relax and you can get into position without spooking them the same.

KR