4 fox's

Dougy

Started out at 19.00 after fox's on my new bit :-) on the way up to the keeper's house I stopped off as normal to get the NV gear sorted, mod on rifle and mag loaded all ready. Drove a little further and stopped in a gap in the hedge for a quick scan with the archer, Nice ;-) a pair of eye's around 170yds out, rifle out NV on a little squeak then a cough, fox stopped and took the vmax head on. Number 1

I thought this is going to be a short night, After picking up the Fox i drove round to park up and once I stopped I scanned the field and spotted another squatted in the stubble about 100yds out, wind in my face it had little idea what was going to happen next, a head shot sorted that one. Number2

A short walk to the next field and a little climb onto a bank gave me a good vantage point to over 300 yards of open if a little hilly field, I poured myself a coffee and began to call using the best fox call, left it for a few minute's then scanned and called again, a fox appeared from the wood from my far left, I gave a few small calls with a wam and it committed itself, I coughed so halt it then sent the vmax on its way, another head shot at 80yds. Number 3

I heard the village clock strike 10 and thought not bad really for a few hours, a decent result, the keeper will be pleased I'll treat myself to a pint non the way home and have an early night.

Got back to the pickup and dropped the fox's off and thought I'd have a quick look down the track along side the keeper's house, well, shiny eye's or what, the wind was going straight to it, it went straight through the hedge, gone!!! nothing to loose I gave a few squeaks with the wam whilst getting a good rest on a gate

post, it was worthwhile, the fox appeared in the track, another vmax sorted that one, front bib shot. Number 4.

post-2987-0-70624400-1415666473_thumb.jpg

I sometimes carry sticks, and a tall bi-pod :yes: that was attached at the time, but i needed to be quick with the last one as it actually went through the hedge and into the field a few yards, and then i lost it.It must have winded me.

I put the rifle on a gate post ( 8x8 size) and gave a few squeaks with a wam, thinking it had done a runner i sort of gave up, put as you do, had one last look back before i packed up, and it was there just looking at me :oops:

I have not seen that many on there before, but i did shoot a great chunky dog fox a while ago, maybe he was keeping the rest away ??? Just off up there now he's got a couple of hundred Pheasants that need a home. :good: I can see some Pheasant sausages, and burgers coming up soon :good::yes:

this time of year when birds are roosting well they don't cause too much damage, not like young poults when they can wipe out huge numbers, that said the keeper will no doubt be well pleased.

They still try bud and can ruin a drive. Birds won't go somewhere they can not get some peace. In my experience Fox's and pheasants never mix.

I also know keepers nowadays that believe someone waiting for a fox on a shoot will disturb the birds more than a fox who takes a regular bombing run through them lol. These keepers usually have lots of foxes lol.

U.

On one of the first drives around 200 birds were put up before the guns were in place by a Fox that came out in front of the beaters, so that drive was not as good as it should have been. And it didn't go down too well with the guns that had paid a substantial amount of money for the days shoot.

thanks chaps, :good:

To be honest after getting that one the other week that must have been the skittiest Fox i have ever come across, i was starting to doubt my abilities :lol: but they seem to be dropping quite well now :yes::)

Yes 3 dogs and a Vixen it does look like there showing interest. And as for the one that thought it was doing itself a favor by hiding behind some stubble I think it certainly did have something else on its mind other that its self preservation :)

A cracking result there :yes: good shooting..gotta love these Archers :good:

freezing fog put pay to my night :/

John went up to the penthouse last night, i was just getting ready to go when he rang me to say it was pea soup fog so i did not go.

He decided to stay for a short while.. Spoke to him this morning he said he was just packing up to go home and the fog started to lift so he hung on for a while

the fog kept dropping and then lifting he ended up with a small vixen at 7-45pm then came home as it started to rain..

Great result Dougy .....looks like they are all a good size. Pairing up soon .....get the vixen call going on the FoxPro :yes:

We had a couple last night :good:

Not got a FoxPro but I am sure i can find something to entice them in.

Yes its certainly showing signs that they are pairing up or should say showing an interest, with 3 Dogs and just the 1 Vixen

You're getting the hang of this Dougy.

Well done my friend. Wish we had some gateposts around here. I have to carry some sort of rest with me wherever I go.

Yes :yes: I must admit i do seem to be improving a little :lol::good:

Grandalf send me your address and ill send you the bit's of the post that i use for a rest, you can use them anywhere, :)

On the top of a stone wall, place them on the ground or just pop one on the roof of your landy :yes::lol:

Take care Grandalf :beer:

Not got a FoxPro but I am sure i can find something to entice them in.

Yes its certainly showing signs that they are pairing up or should say showing an interest, with 3 Dogs and just the 1 Vixen

Yes :yes: I must admit i do seem to be improving a little :lol::good:

Grandalf send me your address and ill send you the bit's of the post that i use for a rest, you can use them anywhere, :)

On the top of a stone wall, place them on the ground or just pop one on the roof of your landy :yes::lol:

Take care Grandalf :beer:

The only rest is I use is a triple set of sticks or, much more often, the rack on the top of my land rover truck.

No fences or walls and precious few hedges. Fields of 2/300+ acres are the norm.

All this great excitement over four in a night...

End of September me and Charlie, no pun intended, got seven and I didn't think it worth while posting.

(Actually I couldn't get the photo to upload)!

Local keeper got ten one night a few years back - He and his son started at dusk for a quick whip round the shoot and finished at 7am!

My first shoot is next Friday so I will then know how many Charlies I have really got.

For me Grandalf it was the difference i found from my first visits on this new patch, they were very very lamp shy,(probably how i got asked in the first place ??? ) i mean even the faint glow from IR illumination would cause them to bolt, they would bolt if you tried squeaking them in too. And this would all be with them having the wind coming from behind so not a "they smelt me" excuse. So it looks as if those have been sorted now and different ones are moving in from around the area.

I would love to drive round this bit but unfortunately the keeper wont allow it so its "shank's pony"

I can still have an enjoyable night if i see B all Fox's, for me anyway. I just enjoy the peace and quiet, not from the Mrs but from work :lol: honest :yes:

Have a good one next Friday :yes::good:

Well done

they won't make nice sausage's though,

did you get yourself a muntjac?

Colin

Sausage,,, your kidding they stink to the core. I skinned one for a member on PW from way back and by heck they stink :sick::sick: .

No Munty's from that perm,Its a def NO ! :no: but intend on getting out these coming days on another bit now the brambles and nettles have died back a bit :good: