Things that could go wrong on the first day of a new shoot.

hifly

Thought I would start this for Kennet as he has his first day on Friday as keeper and is already having sleepless nights so if any of you wise gentlemen could put his mind at rest or (more funny) turn him in to a total wreck with horror stories please feel free to comment.

Make sure the beaters really know where they are supposed to be.

On the shoot before last we were undergoing a long wait whilst the guns walked through part of a wood and onto their pegs. This had the effect of pushing birds out of the wood into a cover between us and them. We would then beat them back in again over the guns.

We always placed a lone beater out to the right whose job was to walk in a small cover then stand out to the right with a flag to flank in that side between the beating line and the guns, The chap who normally did this job was not on the shoot that week so a stand in was briefed.

The beater standing in was told by me not to move until the shoot captain called him in.

I heard the shoot captain tell him over the radio to stay where he was until he called him in.

While we were waiting I heard a shot from the wood but didn't pay much attention.

The drive started and we bagan to walk in a narrow tree-line. As we got to the main cover I could see the beater who should be on my right was standing with his flag up on the left flank. ???

We completed the drive and only one cock bird came out of the cover and went over the guns which was missed.

When the drive finished I was able to ask this beater how the hell he'd managed to end up on my left when he should be on my right.

His reply was that he heard a shot and assumed that the drive must be underway and he'd missed it :no: He'd walked all the way in and right through the main cover pushing the birds back into the wood. :eh::oops::mad::shout:

The only thing that redeemed him was that, while they were walking through the wood, a gun had shot at a Crow which set the birds flying in all directions instead of running in front of them and three guns had somehow got lost in the wood and ended up in front of their line which pushed any remaining birds back into the wood.

Result was that this final drive of the day which should yield thirty birds ended up a blank. :(

I was glad the guns mucked up too because that saved me from a right old roasting :/

Give him my best wishes, it'll all be over soon :lol:

It will be ok, something is always gets forgotten, or goes slightly wrong on a shoot day just take it in your stride, all those that can do better step forward. if its yours and the guns first time nothing can go wrong cos no one knows what to expect.

atb full report expected.

I know the feeling well the first shoot of any season makes me nervous I have been doing it for 35 years now and still worry about things that could go wrong but generally speaking it usually turns out ok and the main thing is everybody seems to enjoy themselves, well they come back year after year so I suppose they must do.

Have a great day and many more to come. :good:

As I started this topic and have been with Kennett beating all day I will be the first to report back, even with torrential rain for the first 3 hours of the day ! all I will say is the boy done good he run the day very well, the shoot captain on the other hand has not got a clue totally cocked up the first drive by over ruling him and driving the birds the wrong way, and then at the end of the day wanting to do the same drive again in the right direction but Kennett stood his ground and wouldnt do it again as it was the first time through. 55 head at the end of his first day the guns were looking for 60 head, I think he is well happy !! well done again.