Helping out a new starter!

7daysinaweek

Took a lad out today who has brought his first air rifle a couple of months ago, he is a friend of my next door neighbour, he is a nice and sensible lad who i have spoke to many times briefly in the past. he has been into fishing for many years but has no experience hunting, he secured some permission recently but has had no joy after taking sevral frustrating shots on sevral different occassions and was getting a bit downheartened due to lack of experience and fieldcraft.

i usually go it alone most of the time but have taken him out today, onto ground and within 2 minutes he had shot a myxy rabbit (poor thing) no sooner had it keeled over a maggie came down to it and he had that also both out of vehicle window. moved further down field and because of the rain decided to sit and shoot out of the 4x4, he had 4 more shots accounting for 2 other maggies, total bag 3 maggies and one bunter. rifle was a s410 22 air rifle. he was chuffed and says it has given him confidence to continue. am going down to his permission soon in an advisory mentoring capacity, very enjoyable.

We all had to start somewhere! Does anyone else remember struggling to get going?

I think it's something to do with confidence, its helpful having a more experienced shot with you jut presiding over things and makes you feel more comfortable to a degree.

Oh and welldone, its nice to help out. I have found lately that taking my friend out who has hit been donated a kidney an is keener than ever to get out that I find myself enjoying shooting even without taking a shot just advising him with my HMR or airgun

Edited by Mentalmac

Dear all,

Firstly Dave G thanks ever so much for posting and thank you others for the kind comments.

If anyone else wants to nominate (genuinely) any other PW member who have gone over and above as it were, then let me know -

I have a 'Shooters pack' that has loads of info and bits in them that you can pass to anyone you take out shooting, so don't be afraid to ask for these, they are free. Please tell me if they are going to young people as I will put another few bits in the pack especially for youngsters.

Maybe in 2015 we could run a joint Pigeon Watch BASC Take a Mate Shooting project. PW members take out newbies and pass the address onto me, I post out the pack to the newbie, and for every person a PW member takes out, you get 1 point.

At the beginning of December next year every PW member registered on the scheme gets a gift and the one with the most points gets a bigger gift- what do you think? And if you are a BASC member too you get entered into a draw for a Browning Shotgun

David

I would be more than happy to take people with me once I get setup early next year.

I think as a community we should share our experience and ability as it will further improve our interests and also potentially bring a new light to our average day.

Knowledge is power going by what I have seen so far in my brief time here and people won't get that knowledge unless we offer it to them.

Very good offer from you David and basc,

for me just seeing the look on their faces is more than rewarding

i have taken kids and adults for their 1st time,

introduced air rifle shooters to fac,

and accomplished shot for their 1st deer and there all the same in their appreciation

more than payment for me

Colin

im currently teaching my godson to shoot. bought him a little slavia youth rifle last year and its was in a bit of a state.

spent a few hours bringing it back up to scratch and then painted the stock with a textured paint and finished the barrel in a grass cammo. his dad (my best friend) was away in afghan at the time so he was in to his sniper rifles like his dad used.

i'll see if i can get some pictures up tomorrow.

looks really good! reece loves it!

David, that is a fantastic offer. I have had my certificate for just over a year now, and I have to say that the generosity of the shooting community has been the biggest surprise of all, and a massive help. With free lessons (courtesy of Bakerboy on PW) and lots of tips and advice.

I am now doing my first season beating at a local shoot, and loving every minute of it. My girlfriend was meant to be beating as well, but fell off her horse and broke her leg + collar bone. She is on the mend (cast is now off) but the guns have all taken it upon themselves to look after her, and she goes off and stands with them, still learning lots from spending time with them.

Fantastic community of people, and proud to be a part of it.

Posted on my phone, so please excuse the grammar