Packing it in .

fenboy

Carp fishing that is .

I almost gave up last year but decided to have another trip to france to see if I was making the right decision .

Turns out I was .

I just do not get the same buzz out of it as I once did so after 30 odd years it is time to call it a day .

I advertised my gear as a job lot yesterday and someone is collecting tomorrow .

I will still continue to beach fish as I do enjoy that , and of course my shooting .

Anyone else fell out of love with something they have done for years ?

I have a bit of hobby mania. Over the years I have possibly sampled every hobby known to man. I seem to get really enthusiastic, buy all the gear, end up with no idea. Then get bored with it and move onto something else. The only thing that has been everlasting is my shooting but even with this there has been times in my life when it has taken a back seat, such as when the kids were young and I worked every hour I could.

I wonder if you may regret selling all your gear and in a couple of years time get the urge to go sleep in a bivvy again.

I have a bit of hobby mania. Over the years I have possibly sampled every hobby known to man. I seem to get really enthusiastic, buy all the gear, end up with no idea. Then get bored with it and move onto something else. The only thing that has been everlasting is my shooting but even with this there has been times in my life when it has taken a back seat, such as when the kids were young and I worked every hour I could.

I wonder if you may regret selling all your gear and in a couple of years time get the urge to go sleep in a bivvy again.

I dont think I will miss it to be honest , my carp fishing has been limited to just a week in france for the last three years , so its not like I was out every week , there is also a new hobby on the horizon .

I dont think I will miss it to be honest , my carp fishing has been limited to just a week in france for the last three years , so its not like I was out every week , there is also a new hobby on the horizon .

No not another hobby maniac in the making!! The retailers love the likes of us. LOL

Edited by birdsallpl

It's true about the hobby mania, I started shooting by buying an airgun just to dispatch birds inside buildings as I was a pest controller and the airguns we had at work weren't any good, and then stumbled accross a lady wanting some rabbits shot and decided to buy a guy.
I promised my concerned-that-this-was-another-odd-hobby girlfriend that that one gun would be allllll i need for many years.... weeks later my FAC and SGC were in the post. Then the HMR was brought, then the shotgun then the FAC Airgun... then the other multitude of other equipment and taking up an entire cupboard, then a second car, just for shooting....

These things consume us!

Glad you have made a decision, and maybe many years later you'll fancy another go. Gives you some more cash for shooting?

I stopped fishing in the UK about 14 years ago, as I lost interest in what was being offered locally and no longer wanted to drive miles for quality fishing.

I still own 30 fishing rods and probably the same amount of reels, covering trout, all coarse and sea fishing.

On overseas trips I fish and enjoy it, but its not the same here.

Most of my time is spent shooting now, but I have kept all my fishing gear just in case I change my mind (or move).

I too used to be mad keen on carp fishing and had all the gear in the 90's. I haven't sold it but have replaced the modern gear with more traditional rods ( glass fibre Bruce and Walker) and reels ( Mitchell 300's) and now just go now and again using supermarket baits with silver paper indicators. The more modern tackle is stuffed in the loft.

I must say I enjoy this type of fishing along with strolling along a local river having a cast here, then a cast there.

I think you might want to go carp fishing again sometime in the future Fenboy......if you do just get the absolute basics and hopefully you will enjoy it as you obviously used to.

Yes and all these hobbys are expensive , have you seen the price of decent wool nowdays :lol:

have you thought about metal detecting ,you are in one of the best areas in the country,we call it dirt fishing. its like fishing when you get a good signal its like the first buzz when a fish takes.

it also gets you interested in history to.

Guest rimotu66

It's true about the hobby mania, I started shooting by buying an airgun just to dispatch birds inside buildings as I was a pest controller and the airguns we had at work weren't any good, and then stumbled accross a lady wanting some rabbits shot and decided to buy a guy.

Do you really want to admit to that and what did you both do with the rabbits ???:lol:

Well the gear has all gone , I must admit I did feel a little sad as I had gradually upgraded over many years until I had exactly what I desired and it was all very well looked after.

The big wedge of cash the guy left behind did ease my pain somewhat though :yes:

Edited by fenboy

Guest rimotu66

I hope you do not regret it Fenboy, I still regret selling my last TZ race bike (1998) although the circumstances where different, injury, divorce and impending redundancy forced the end of that hobby for me after 9 years breaking bones. :cry1:

Yep, fishing in general, just can't drum up the enthusiasm any more and has been like this for about 4 years and going less and less.

(I did enjoy two days piking on Chew last week though - I had a scraper double whilst my boat partner lost a 38 plus fish round the anchor rope on Wednesday and had a 30 3/4 on Friday. But it's only 'special' occasions like that get any interest now).

Carp fishing that is .

I almost gave up last year but decided to have another trip to france to see if I was making the right decision .

Turns out I was .

I just do not get the same buzz out of it as I once did so after 30 odd years it is time to call it a day .

I advertised my gear as a job lot yesterday and someone is collecting tomorrow .

I will still continue to beach fish as I do enjoy that , and of course my shooting .

Anyone else fell out of love with something they have done for years ?

Photography, buy all the gear, learn and eventually produce some very good photos. They then rest forever in the depths of your hard drive,

you look occasionally at them, (nobody else ever does), you then forget them and never look again until you eventually delete them.

Pointless what!!! :no:

Not fished for a couple of years now sort of lost interest in it somewhat that is all types of fishing i did from boat and beach carp pike and cat that"s 15 rods plus then my fly fishing.

I keep saying that i am going to sell all my gear but then think about when nephew and and grand-kids and god sons come cos that"s all they want to do fish or shoot and pick my little brain about the sports. But i am going pike fishing with my step son next week to see if its brain numbing lol

I gave 13 years of volunteer work for St. John Ambulance, I had loads of quallifactions and saw some incredible things and had some absolute screams and met some great people and a few celbs. The first 9 years were great then our unit leader left and one of the other members (a so called mate) took over the reins. Sadly his only interest one way or another was/is himself and that along with a restructure killed it for me. All the enjoyment had gone and they took advantage of peoples good will.

Early this year I had put up with enough and sacked it off which was very sad and difficult to do at the time. I had bought loads of my own gear and most years given 500 - 700 hours to them.

For the knowledge and life skills I learnt I am greatefull, as for some of the members including the leader who was a mate, I couldnt care if I never saw them again but do not wish ill of them. I also wouldnt ever encourage anyone to give them there time.

Onwards and upwards though, I sold my kit and spent it on shooting kit and now shoot far more and spend far more time with the wife. Oddly I thought I would miss it or regrett it, but 8/9 months on I dont and couldnt be happier.

ATB

Matt

Yes and all these hobbys are expensive , have you seen the price of decent wool nowdays :lol:

Have you quit fishing to start knitting? :lol:

i gave up bikes i had cbr1000 zx12 zx6r zx10r ducati honda blackbird gsx 750 one at a time over the years.rode since i was 16.used the funds for a custom rifle with nice glass.i have not looked back.i miss it and apreciate it from afar but know i made the right decision.when your led on the tank pushing 180 and you try to find another gear you have lost the buzz normal speed gave and was living on borrowed time.

good luck