Not stopping any more

Jonny Durham

I am bringing my oldest bitch (5 years old) out on Saturday 50-80 bird day. I'm a bit apprehensive as she has been a bit wild in the past since I had pups off her 2 1/2 years ago, it's just sent her doolaly!! Even all the lads I beat with have said this saying she was hard hunting but really steady dog. However since then she's been a right b**ch, I think it is a number of factors i.e. Me not putting her back to basics as much in the summer and possible being short of game in the area so not getting the flushes so I can get her on the stop whistle as much on game (on the dummy she stops no bother). I did a bit of walked up grouse a few weeks ago and she was stopping to the flush (on the nose) but if I shot it and she seen it came down she was straight after it even though I was blowing the stop whistle like mad!! I've tried using a dummy launcher and hunting her up and letting the dummy launcher go and she's fine with that but when it comes to the real thing she just isn't as steady. My mate said I should retire her but just to prove him wrong I want to get her back to what she used to be. I have started rough shooting during the week and just so I can get her on the real thing and get on top of her. What would you do?

A friend of mine said the same about a bitch he once owned. Steady as a rock until the hormones and pups came along.

He was sure it was the hormonal thing that kicked the behavior off. Minstrel tension he said it was. Who knows?

He did say the yellow ones are nuttier than the black ones though and to stay well away from the chocolate ones.

Personally, I'm not sure it's as black and white as all that.

Edited by Rupert10

If you could get a friend to do the shooting for you so you have total concentration on your dog and like perce says zero tolerance don't let him get away with anything even a shuffle is not acceptable it might sound harsh but he thinks it's ok to ignore you. My own cocker did this for a while as she came from very good trialling back ground you can't give her a inch

Dogs can turn of to your voice, whistle etc little trick I use is to just stop talking to them no whistling etc if it understand hand signal just use then for a bit then when you whistle / yell most dogs think wow wot was that not always but thats part of the training process find wot works for you and your dog

Just had her on some pheasants this morning. When she flushed put her on the stop whistle (as normal), if she moved I would put her back on the spot where I blew the stop whistle, scaulded her abit and after a couple of times she got the message. Started sitting her **** straight down after she flushed. I'm out on wednesday with just some of the lads so I will se how I get on when they start dropping them (pheasants) infront of her.