Recommendations on Abbey and/or Robin Hood in Kent

Doc Holliday

After what must be somewhere near a two year absence from clay shooting Mrs H & I are getting back in to it (have been working on the house, etc.). We went to Keston last weekend and both shot abysmally. I wasn't that good a shot beforehand but I certainly need to get my rear end in to gear and hit the stands regularly to get my average back up.

We were thinking of going to either Abbey or Robin Hood this weekend but can't find any recent comments on either. 2009 was the last post where either were mentioned. Mrs H has a thing about people watching her and, from what I can make out, Abbey is pretty open where the layout is concerned but it seems to get higher praise than Robin Hood. Having said that, Robin Hood went under new management/ownership from 2010 so the 209 post will be out of date I reckon. That aside, RH seems a smaller venue and finishes earlier than Abbey, not sure if that has any bearing on anything.

I have also read that Abbey run a shoot up in the downs from Snodland. Can anyone give any more info on that? I have googled but it comes up with now't.

I'd like to hear reports about either, good or bad, so we can make a decision.

Oh, and somewhere to park where I can't get bogged down again like at Keston last week would be advantageous :yes:

Robin Hood used to be good (I haven't shot there in 5 years). They have a bit of ground at the back of the Robin Hood pub off Bluebell Hill. Space is limited, so most targets are incomers/going away - Not hard, but not overly easy.

I've never shot Abbey but it's where the showground is on Detling Hill and it does seem to get a better write up as a "competitive" ground.

You've also got clay shooting at Harty (by the Ferryhouse Inn) on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month - 50 bird sporting overlooking the Swale

Robinhood is a totally different shoot these days Phil and his team set a good course with a few tricky stands well worth a visit abbey is the same with a good variety of targets so both sure worth a trip and try them Andy :)

Ps the ground abbey used to have near snodland was shut a few years a go and is now a campsite hope this helps

Shouldn't get bogged down at Abbey. Good variety of targets many stands some in the open, some in the woods. It can get pretty busy though, particularly the 100 birders. Luckily tomorrow is a 70 birder so shouldn't take all day. The Compaq is also pretty challenging but great fun. Highly recommended for the fun factor.

Edited by stevewall968

• 2 weeks later...