your favourite pheasant recipe

martindd

I would go and check they have not walked off , its been fairly mild to be leaving them a week .

I either pan fry the breasts with bacon and mushrooms or do them in a large pan slowly in stock with all the veg etc chucked in .

Edited by fenboy

I would go and check they have not walked off , its been fairly mild to be leaving them a week .

I either pan fry the breasts with bacon and mushrooms or do them in a large pan slowlt in stock with all the veg etc chucked in .

Is that a Lincolnshire word I must learn to use?

Your recipe is similar to mine. I cut the breasts into very thin strips.

If your trying to convert someone to pheasant I wouldn't hang them that long, especially with the mild weather we've had recently. I usually hang them for a day or two at most and those of my family who are a little wary don't know the difference between pheasant and chicken, when done in a sauce. And , I don't tell them.

Casseroled.

Serves: 4

oil for browning

1 pheasant, fat removed

2 carrots, sliced

2 shallots, sliced

110g (4 oz) mushrooms, sliced

2 pinches mixed herbs

300ml (1/2 pt) chicken stock

300ml (1/2 pt) cider

1 pinch salt

1 pinch black pepper

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Method

Prep:20min › Cook:2hr › Ready in:2hr20min

1.Preheat oven to 150 C / Gas 2.

2.In a casserole dish, heat a drizzle of oil over medium high heat. Add the pheasant and brown on all sides. Once browned, add all remaining ingredients and stir up any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.

3.Transfer the covered dish to the oven and cook for 2 hours.

Ingredients

Serves: 8

2 pheasants, cleaned and jointed

60g seasoned flour

110g butter

400g mushrooms, sliced

1 onion, chopped

2 chicken stock cubes

225ml hot water

juice of 1/2 a lemon

1 teaspoon salt, or to taste

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Method

Prep:30min › Cook:1hr › Ready in:1hr30min

1.Dredge the pheasant pieces in the seasoned flour. Heat the butter in a casserole, and brown the pheasant pieces on all sides. Remove from casserole and set aside.

2.Saute mushrooms and onions in the casserole until browned. Add pheasant back to pan, along with the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook over low heat about 1 hour or until tender.

Note

You can season plain flour with simply salt and pepper to coat the pheasant, or you can add your favourite dried herbs. You can also use plain flour without seasonings.