geese carts and choke

hodge911

The problem in Scotland is.... what do you determin inland , is Wetlands, Thats the GREY AREA, I know what you mean about pheasant shoots, or other, but how would it you try and police that ?

And that is the biggest problem , on the foreshore ( in England ) the clubs can police it to a extent but inland it is impossible , what is the point of putting legislation in place if it cannot be policed.

What is the point of having a law that allows me to go and shoot 100 cartridges straight into a pond if I so wish , but then could prosecute me if I fired one at a duck flying over that same pond .

The people who thought that up must be half wits.

Edited by fenboy

And that is the biggest problem , on the foreshore ( in England ) the clubs can police it to a extent but inland it is impossible , what is the point of putting legislation in place if it cannot be policed.

What is the point of having a law that allows me to go and shoot 100 cartridges straight into a pond if I so wish , but then could prosecute me if I fired one at a duck flying over that same pond .

The people who thought that up must be half wits.

fenboy,I was,nt having a dig at you, I totally agree with you,

I didnt think you was having a dig mate, sorry if thats how it came across.

No need for the sorry bit mate, I know what you were meaning, Here,s another problem..... All these rules and regulations, be it up here, or down your way, That were,r all meant to follow through the GL, and i,m not being a smart ***, But how much of the rules contradict each other, I do,nt know, Only asking, :good: HALF WITS INDEED.

There is only one answer to the lead shot problem. Ban all lead in shotguns full stop. I cant see any point in using it any more , but plenty of good reasons for stop using it. Abundant evidence is available for any doubters that can be bothered to search it out,that lead posions birds and the public does not aprove of lead being scattered around the countryside. I use steel for almost all my shooting now a days , wildfowling , game and pigeons and find it does everything i need it to do. I changed all my guns , sold my old English side by side so all my guns can handle steel in some load or another. Times have changed and the shooting community has to change with it or run the high risk of loseing public support and having the whole sport banned.

Wildfowling often requires a shell that will kill cleanly at the very edge of range and good quality steel shells will now do this , however most game shooting does not require a shell to do this. Having learnt to shoot steel proberly and through experiance found the right load and brand of shell to do the job I now find I struggle on the few occasions I do use lead these days ( my farmers give me lead shells for pigeon control). As for cost steel is smillar or cheaper than lead loads in like for like loads.

Beware though there still some very poor steel loads out there and I for one will never use Express\Lydale steel again after some very bad experiances with it. Try Eley, RC, Gamebore, Remmington or Winchester and you will not go far wrong.

Like that the rest dont matter it will kill them if you do your bit and respect the range geese are big if you don't think "that's big" its too far. In daylight in range means you could see their eye if you were at the right angle to them, think of the head as a teal an forget the body :good:

?? Why did you quote my post ??

Like that the rest dont matter it will kill them if you do your bit and respect the range geese are big if you don't think "that's big" its too far. In daylight in range means you could see their eye if you were at the right angle to them, think of the head as a teal an forget the body :good:

?? Why did you quote my post ??

why do people feel the need to diversify from the original posts all the time ??

I didn't ask for a debate on should we use lead or steel I asked for advise on what cartridge / choke combo would work best in my gun having not shot goose before .

I know the law regarding the use of lead on wildfowl...............there is also a pinned item at the top of the wildfowling section about steel .

Edited by hodge911

I

why do people feel the need to diversify from the original posts all the time ??

I didn't ask for a debate on should we use lead or steel I asked for advise on what cartridge / choke combo would work best in my gun having not shot goose before .

I know the law regarding the use of lead on wildfowl...............there is also a pinned item at the top of the wildfowling section about steel .

I have the gun in question and i put 36gram eley lightening steel 1 through it for geese and i have confidence in this combo for geese up to 40 yards

Stop moaning, people have already given you options.

Stop moaning, people have already given you options.

see what I mean what is the point in this post ??? .

AND YES people have given me the information I asked for and to those people I am grateful and say thank you !!!!!!!!

I have taken their information on board and been and purchased some 3" 36g #1 shot

Edited by hodge911

Also remember that when shooting steel you shouldn't be using anything tighter than a half choke. It even says it on the side of my choke tubes. It's an easy thing to forget if you have been out whacking pigeons with lead or something.

That will depend on the gun and the type / size of steel shot being used , my gun and chokes are rated for steel through full choke.

That will depend on the gun and the type / size of steel shot being used , my gun and chokes are rated for steel through full choke.

I honestly didn't know that was the case, my apologies, I had assumed that since my gun is under a year old all modern guns were the same!

You learn something new and all that.

I use 3" gamebore mammoths number 2's in steel for canadas and greylags in north Yorkshire no problems with them bud.....try Bradford stalkers for them mate...even tho he;s a knob!!!! :good: ps...half choke (modified) ye cant put steel thru a hat-stand with anything tighter than half or ye be pulling shrapnel oot of ya chops!

Edited by Robbie Forster

I use 3" gamebore mammoths number 2's in steel for canadas and greylags in north Yorkshire no problems with them bud.....try Bradford stalkers for them mate...even tho he;s a knob!!!! :good: ps...half choke (modified) ye cant put steel thru a hat-stand with anything tighter than half or ye be pulling shrapnel oot of ya chops!

:lol::lol::lol: :lol: :lol::lol: ..........I know exactly what you mean I,ve used peter since he had the shop in the cellar under his house up in burnopfield

the atmosphere in the shop is none excistent to what it used to be ,,

apart from old dave their all miserable beggars now :yes:

Edited by hodge911