New gun

Duckman91

When you look back to the big Shoots in Edwardian days and their enormous bags it would appear that a far larger head of game has been killed with s x s than with o u guns. Why people think a sxs is inferior is beyond me as with a given choke and cartridge load there can be little to choose between the ballistics of either barrel configeration.

Blackpowder

When you look back to the big Shoots in Edwardian days and their enormous bags it would appear that a far larger head of game has been killed with s x s than with o u guns. Why people think a sxs is inferior is beyond me as with a given choke and cartridge load there can be little to choose between the ballistics of either barrel configeration.

Blackpowder

Here here Blackpowder!

I now shoot two side by sides, one in 12 and one in 10. Thats all i use

Guest cookoff013

i shoot a sxs now and again, when i went on my first pheasant shoot there were 10 shooters with only 2 using sxs.

out of the 1st drive my buddy ditched his sxs for his usual O/U.

i think i ended up shooting "above average". it took a year to learn how to shoot that thing right. the super tight choking didnt really help, but i did practice with big and little loads.

now for driven shooting they are exellent, for rough shooting they are exellent, for clay shooting....... really bad. they overheat something chronic.

i was using 30g#7 and a 32g#6.

they are lively little guns, and i did end up reloading a heap of big subs for it. as its 2 triggers its not nessasary having a load trip to the second barrel.

Always find s/sides a handier gun compared to the new fangled o/u ,other than for clays.

I think modern cartridges are more lively than cartridges of years gone by and generally find lighter loads

more comfortable in the average s/s,especially if much shooting is anticipated.Many people new to these classic

guns seem to get put off by this very problem if they are used to the generally heavier o/u.

Hope the op enjoys his new found gun !

Guest cookoff013

Always find s/sides a handier gun compared to the new fangled o/u ,other than for clays.

I think modern cartridges are more lively than cartridges of years gone by and generally find lighter loads

more comfortable in the average s/s,especially if much shooting is anticipated.Many people new to these classic

guns seem to get put off by this very problem if they are used to the generally heavier o/u.

Hope the op enjoys his new found gun !

very true, if you look at some of the loads that they are rated for, ie 1,1/8oz max with " x drams of sporting powder #1" then this is what was shot back in time.

most if not all were sub 3 dram or nitro equivalents in 2.5" chambers, about 2.5 dram and thats about... usually equates to speeds between....1000 - 1100 fps or thereabouts. hardly over powering stuff.

reload and you can virtually go back in time. or to the future.

very true, if you look at some of the loads that they are rated for, ie 1,1/8oz max with " x drams of sporting powder #1" then this is what was shot back in time.

most if not all were sub 3 dram or nitro equivalents in 2.5" chambers, about 2.5 dram and thats about... usually equates to speeds between....1000 - 1100 fps or thereabouts. hardly over powering stuff.

reload and you can virtually go back in time. or to the future.

Yep,and get some really good patterning loads too !

Tim Morris, gone now. He use to shoot DTL all day with a Webley.

He had a leather heatshield.

Never missed, well hardly missed.

U.

My mates call me "the black hand"....cause i always use a barrell glove (a black golf glove).......the barrells sit lovely on it..........

My mates call me "the black hand"....cause i always use a barrell glove (a black golf glove).......the barrells sit lovely on it..........

Hi ditchman several years ago I spent a season shooting blackpowder shells, I think then fifty saw me for the game season recording some of the usual hits and misses. Spectacular stuff, but the point I am going to make is that on one stand I fired five right and left barrel shots and found with blackpowder the barrels were absolutely far to hot to touch. Could have done with your black glove then.

Blackpowder