Continuing To Decoy/Shoot As You Age

sitsinhedges

Its interesting to see that a lot of us older chaps are of a similar ilk. I could run when I was 50 , mostly to the pub after evening shift. Now its my old nose that does most of the running these days I use the sillosox decoys which I find as effective as full bodied and nowhere as near as awkward to carry , camo nets light as poss a lightweight auto, . Unfortunately had an alleged seizure about a month ago so cannot drive now till get the all clear from the Doctor and DVLA .Had to turn down a few calls more s the pity but there we are, could have been worse.

Like one of the other members of pigeon watch , my head is still in the seventies but the old bones are are definately in the late sixties

With my mate, who had his 70th birthday recently, we can still handle a day on the crows [ just about , its the pick up that knackers us]

we only take on crows . as after setting up, and settling down it has been known to have a little nap.

I had a really good time just before my alleged seizure with Stuy on the hereford pigeons, so am grateful for that experience and the chance of doing a little bit of videoing

So we golden oldies can still try and play an active part in our chosen sport

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am only 59, but have had plantar fasiitus of both feet for the last 3 years plus arthritis setting in. I can walk on soft grass for a while, but hard ground especially rough stone tracks does my feet quite quickly. I walk when I can, but found my Tramper all terrain scooter has revalutionised getting about. It will do rough ground and grass a 1:4 hill and around 25 miles depending on terrain. It won,t do deep mud though, although I carry plastic tracks in case it gets stuck. It will carry quite a lot of stuff in the front locker and I sling the gun in its bag over the back of the seat and strap it on. I have also adapted a bicycle Winther donkey trailer for it which can carry 40kg. OH has a sturdy plastic sledge to cart stuff about on which slides quite well on grass. I have found when going round game fairs its good as it means we can spend all day there without my feet giving out and cart the purchases back to the car.

Ive just been reading ALL these posts....and im staggered at the ages of us all............we are (mostlly) old codgers ...or getting there.............but i will say one thing, ...if we wernt hard bittern shooters and were living in the city/town...we would all be infirmed of incaperble......................love the way nobody gives up...really chuffed with the lot of you...

Speak for yourself Ditchman. I am not an 'old codger' and never will be, at least in my mind. Old **** possibly.

The thing is if you have always had strong interests which are good for body and soul you are in a better position to go into old age than couch potatoes are.

Speak for yourself Ditchman. I am not an 'old codger' and never will be, at least in my mind. Old **** possibly.

The thing is if you have always had strong interests which are good for body and soul you are in a better position to go into old age than couch potatoes are.

Hah !......my interests are still all strong..............my 2 step sons look and act older than me.........and my daughters friends flirt with me !.........i can still do EVERYTHING i have ever been able to do...............but it just takes 4 times as long !!.....all my mates are 20-30 years younger than me........and my grandaughter still calls me dad sometimes............

I love the way we all face the problems with advancing old age , the sense of humour is taken in the way it was meant to and our aliments are put to one side when it mean a day out in the fresh air. Sadly we are not all built the same and some can carry on longer than others but when the time come where I have to call it all a day I will know I have had a good innings and like ole Mc Kenzie Thorpe said at the back of his book if I had my time over again ......Id do it all again , just the same , just exactly the same .

It amazes me that I meet people who are my age or ten years younger and they say " you should be careful at your age or you shouldn't be doing that now as your OLD" I'm that mad that I snapped a cruciate ligament when I was fifty one and when they asked how I did it they laughed as I said " I was shooting and jumping over a fence" i still climb on my roof to carry out maintenance . My philosophy is if I can do it I will do it it's a mind set, we all have pain it's how we mange it is the secret. When I did my ligament I carried on shooting all day in severe pain on returning home Mrs PC insisted that I went to A&E and they managed to draw off. A litre of fluid off the knee. I was out shooting the next week with the knee giving way for the next year as I waited for the repair. It's 100% now .

It amazes me that I meet people who are my age or ten years younger and they say " you should be careful at your age or you shouldn't be doing that now as your OLD" I'm that mad that I snapped a cruciate ligament when I was fifty one and when they asked how I did it they laughed as I said " I was shooting and jumping over a fence" i still climb on my roof to carry out maintenance . My philosophy is if I can do it I will do it it's a mind set, we all have pain it's how we mange it is the secret. When I did my ligament I carried on shooting all day in severe pain on returning home Mrs PC insisted that I went to A&E and they managed to draw off. A litre of fluid off the knee. I was out shooting the next week with the knee giving way for the next year as I waited for the repair. It's 100% now .

We have a saying, " When the going gets tough, the not so tough get in there car and go home" lol

TEH

Spot on there,people with an interest keep at it,others just shut down mentally and decide that they`re old !

Observed it many times in family and acquaintances.

This quote @ min 2.42 about sums it up John....watch this old boy ferreting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDWu9j3_gjo

TEH

Good one TEH.

I have a very positive attitude towards old age but maybe not as good as his. I wonder how many fags he has smoked in his time? Possibly not as many as stevo!

haha keep me out of it ,

my attitude is

when I go and stand at those pearly gates in front of saint peter ,and when I give my body up it will be ****** , not looking like its still got 10 yrs left in it !!

Just coming up to 65 and it’s over half a mile I have to walk up hill across a rape field to get to the best spot. I find the worst part about carrying a heavy load (56lb in my case) is the straps cutting into my shoulders.

Tried making a two wheeled trolley with fat tyres but it was still hard to pull over wet mud and no good when the rape is over 4 or 5 inches.

Just wondered if anyone has tried using a wheel or carp barrow across wet muddy rape fields? If so is it any easier than carrying it on your back?

haha keep me out of it ,

my attitude is

when I go and stand at those pearly gates in front of saint peter ,and when I give my body up it will be f####d , not looking like its still got 10 yrs left in it !!

When get to the Pearly Gates it will be a pigeon standing behind them and all I get will " Sorry Pal"

Just coming up to 65 and it’s over half a mile I have to walk up hill across a rape field to get to the best spot. I find the worst part about carrying a heavy load (56lb in my case) is the straps cutting into my shoulders.

Tried making a two wheeled trolley with fat tyres but it was still hard to pull over wet mud and no good when the rape is over 4 or 5 inches.

Just wondered if anyone has tried using a wheel or carp barrow across wet muddy rape fields? If so is it any easier than carrying it on your back?

Have tried most things but the Paras and the Marines carry on there backs if there was a easier system they would have found it. I not sure if they lost the quads when the Atlantic Conveyer was hit during the Falklands conflict

its how you stack the stuff in the bag the heaviest items in the bottom and work your way up to the lightest and make some extra padding for the straps

I didn't realise the packing made a difference. My ammo is always the last thing in the bag. I am out tomorrow so I will try putting the ammo in first and the nets last. I might try filling all my pockets with cartridges to even out the load,

Another great thing about this thread is the openess of everyone. All of a sudden the the names that I have been responding to, learning from, listening to and often debating with have become real people. Why haven't some of you completed your personal profiles? It is so nice now to be able to understand a little more about you all.

I'm nearer 60 than50, I love the walking to get set up as it is my excersise. I try to travel light, a small camo net, 12 fuds hang off my belt, gun and cartridge bag (100 shells) over my shoulder, hide poles, fold up seat, flask and sarnys in holdall. All I need and reasonably light enough to carry round to a set up area. I de-breast my birds in the hide and stuff them in a carrier bag.

works for me!

Another great thing about this thread is the openess of everyone. All of a sudden the the names that I have been responding to, learning from, listening to and often debating with have become real people. Why haven't some of you completed your personal profiles? It is so nice now to be able to understand a little more about you all.

I am so dull there is nothing to go in my personal profile.