Changing cal.

Duckman91

I currently have a daystate x2 in .22 which a guy has offered to buy for more than I paid. I have fancied a change to .177 for a while now.

Been looking and have seen a single shot AA s400 light weight .177 with a fair few accessories. I have also seen a Daystate x2 .177 with just a scope and not much else.

My question is would I be mad to leave Daystate for a air arms. The daystate is bit dearer but I would probably buy a multi shot conversion for £60 so would even it up.

Cheers

Two things spring to mind A/ The S400 will match the Daystate's all day long on any challenge apart,maybe, from aesthetics. B/ No matter how much you love the S400 you will always want the S410. If your choice is limited to just these 3 then, in my opinion, the S400 wins no contest.

Edited by bruno22rf

normally I wouldn't disagree with Bruno as he,s a sensible chap but have to say you would be totally crazy to put a s400 before a daystate, he is correct in saying you would want the s410 but having owned both then I still say stick with the daystate as the build quality is far superior,

after using my s410 then going to a huntsman the s410 felt like a cheap Chinese made gun in comparison

please note the s400 is a cracking accurate rifle as is the s410 but me being a daystate rogue I would stick with the daystate,

good luck with whatever you choose

atb Evo

Its great to see Evo back and pushing the old Daystate build quality piano up the hill once more. I think that Evo was undergoing some kind of therapy while he was away (quite possibly paid for by Tony Belas) but as you can tell by his comments-its still early days for him. Best not upset him during the early period of recovery and stick with the Daystate-once he is better we can look forward to some words of wisdom once more :innocent: p.s. Buy the S400 but dont tell anyone on here-sorted :good:

Its great to see Evo back and pushing the old Daystate build quality piano up the hill once more. I think that Evo was undergoing some kind of therapy while he was away (quite possibly paid for by Tony Belas) but as you can tell by his comments-its still early days for him. Best not upset him during the early period of recovery and stick with the Daystate-once he is better we can look forward to some words of wisdom once more :innocent: p.s. Buy the S400 but dont tell anyone on here-sorted :good:

have you been talking to Mr Belas again ? he,s a generous chap :lol::lol: :lol:

atb Evo

Dad bought a AA S410 and its nice, but then I bought my Daystate Huntsman and MK4.......Dad has regretts now and I dont. :D

Also with regards cal, it really doesnt matter, just learn the trajectory and put the pellet in the right place. I used to be .22 then .177 and on reflection it makes no odds especally when hunting, the quarry doesnt notice when hit correctly, so now I have and use and enjoy both cals. On day may even add sub 12ftlb .25 in the collection also !

ATB

Matt

have to say I agree with Matt

I use both cals but find the .177 better to use of a night due to the difficulty in judging distance whilst its dark,easier to use with the flatter trajectory, but come the daytime then the .22 comes out to play

it is handy having both calibres though

atb Evo

What is mad and for what reason about buying an AA over a Daystate?

Will a Daystate be more accurate, more reliable, knock down more quarry...I think not, AA are well known and well respected, the 400 and 410 are popular and work well, they do the job.

Some may argue the Datstate are prettier, better made/engineered, etc but so what, do you buy a gun to use or look at?

If you want solid reliable engineering then look elseware over both Datstate and AA.

Edit

As for changing calibres, that debate will not be resolved in this thread!

Edited by Dekers

The problem here is no matter what two rifle’s you try to compare someone will always come along and say that the cheaper is just as capable etc as the more expensive (sometimes they are) or even suggest that they have a rifle that’s cheaper than the two mentioned and it of cause will be better or as good etc etc.

There may be some truth in it but why are folk as quick to run down expensive kit as they are cheap kit? Is it jealousy or spite or some kind of insecurity?

But if this were true then we would all use £50 carboot rough as..... springers and be putting pellet on pellet at 100 yards in gale force winds.

You don’t see shooting comps being won by cheap SMK springers and Hatsan pcp`s and there is good reason for that.

Also when it comes to reliability etc then sorry but they are all made by humans and all brands will have good and bad examples it’s just the way it is.

In my case my Dad bought himself a AA S410 carbine with walnut stock, at first he loved it but it kept leaking and AA were poor in sorting so at 6 months old he sent it to Ben Taylor to reg it and fix the leak, £700 rifle and £250 at BTAS! Now the rifle hasn’t missed a beat since but he was left with £950 spent and no warranty.

Now he wishes it gave more shots and the blueing isn’t great either.

I paid £700 cash for my .177 Daystate MK4 second hand but only a tin or two of pellets threw it in mint condition, 2 years old and its never missed a beat, it should of had a service at 3 years old but I took it to 5 years old without issue. At 5 years old it’s been fully serviced with excellent customer service and no complaints.

My dad now wishes he had bought a good second hand Daystate also and saved himself some cash in the process.

For me with Daystate the products and customer service is excellent and I’ve never had a problem. But I don’t disagree that the last 12 months the Regal doesn’t seem to of delivered.

HW100`s yes they are a good rifle but I wouldn’t have one having tried one and as with every brand and price tag they have had there share of rifles that have been bad examples, but the HW100 isn’t the wonder rifle / holey grail of air rifles that’s for sure despite what some will tell you.

ATB

Matt

What is mad and for what reason about buying an AA over a Daystate?

Will a Daystate be more accurate, more reliable, knock down more quarry...I think not, AA are well known and well respected, the 400 and 410 are popular and work well, they do the job.

Some may argue the Datstate are prettier, better made/engineered, etc but so what, do you buy a gun to use or look at?

If you want solid reliable engineering then look elseware over both Datstate and AA.

Edit

As for changing calibres, that debate will not be resolved in this thread!

I bought 3 x daystates because I wanted quality, good looks, solid engineering but most importantly I wanted a rifle that would not let me down,was very very accurate and also would hold its resale value if ever I decided to get shut,

so far none of them have let me down, you may ask why have I bought three, well I can tell you that I had an air arms s410, cracking gun and never missed a beat but at the midland game fair 2 years ago I bought a huntsman classic new in .22 the action well everything was far smoother and better made than the s410,

I was so impressed with the huntsman that I decided to try the electronic Airwolf,,WOW that thing was effortless to shoot and nearly as good looking as my dog lol,

then the totally new wolverine came out so I decided to buy one new in .177 and all I can say is it is probably the best air rifle I have ever owned , do I have a favourite,,yes my huntsman probably cos it was my first Daystate, which one do I use the most,,the wolverine but only because I mostly hunt at night and its more forgiving being .177

would I buy another Daystate, YES when the next model comes out,

the only thing I have had a problem with was the huntsman being set at 10.6ftlb from the factory, they turned the power up FOC and even threw in a couple of tins of pellets,

Would I own any other type of air rifle,,Yes ,,I would love my old BSAr10mk2 back but in .177 cracking little light rifle, I must be one of the lucky ones because none have gone wrong and all are very accurate,

using a daystate gives me confidence and that helps but I certainly would not put a s400 in the same bracket as ANY daystate, air rifles have certainly improved in the last 10 years and the s410 has stood the test of time but agree with salop as the blueing on the s410 has started to look a bit rough,

atb Evo

I bought 3 x daystates because I wanted quality, good looks, solid engineering but most importantly I wanted a rifle that would not let me down,was very very accurate and also would hold its resale value if ever I decided to get shut,

so far none of them have let me down, you may ask why have I bought three, well I can tell you that I had an air arms s410, cracking gun and never missed a beat but at the midland game fair 2 years ago I bought a huntsman classic new in .22 the action well everything was far smoother and better made than the s410,

I was so impressed with the huntsman that I decided to try the electronic Airwolf,,WOW that thing was effortless to shoot and nearly as good looking as my dog lol,

then the totally new wolverine came out so I decided to buy one new in .177 and all I can say is it is probably the best air rifle I have ever owned , do I have a favourite,,yes my huntsman probably cos it was my first Daystate, which one do I use the most,,the wolverine but only because I mostly hunt at night and its more forgiving being .177

the only thing I have had a problem with was the huntsman being set at 10.6ftlb from the factory, they turned the power up FOC and even threw in a couple of tins of pellets,

Would I own any other type of air rifle,,Yes ,,I would love my old BSAr10mk2 back but in .177 cracking little light rifle, I must be one of the lucky ones because none have gone wrong and all are very accurate,

using a daystate gives me confidence and that helps but I certainly would not put a s400 in the same bracket as ANY daystate, air rifles have certainly improved in the last 10 years and the s410 has stood the test of time but agree with salop as the blueing on the s410 has started to look a bit rough,

atb Evo

Nice to hear your opinions again Evo :) Edited by Ttfjlc

I was spoilt lol ... the first pcp l ever shot was a Daystate Wolverine B ... l just resigned myself to the fact, l was alway going to settle for a reasonable, though inferior pcp to the Wolverine. They are a clinical piece of airgunning engineering. Like them, loath them ... they're excellent.

So l being a door hinge! ... bought an R8 ... well we all start somewhere ;)

atb Evo

I rather think you just confirmed what I said! :good:

These "which is best" threads belong in a Bar after several Pints and normal conversation has died. There is NOTHING that a Daystate can do (that is cognitive to good hunting) that the AA cannot do at a cheaper price.The component quality of both is pretty top notch and both are assembled to a degree that sets the Bar for other makers-I feel that Daystate suffer more build related errors simply because they build smaller numbers of semi bespoke guns. So if you can afford whichever one you like its simply down to looks-a seemingly unimportant trait for a tool but in our decadent society, a crucial one. I put my hands up here and surrender to Daystate as some of their guns are stunning and belong in a Gallery, but I also like the looks of,say, the TX200. So in my mind the Daystate is more desirable but that is not the same as better-I drive a 355 that is stunning and was over 10 times the price of my day to day Saab but is it better in real terms? No is the honest answer.

Ended up with an s400 with multi shot conversion on it. Silly question but what should I fill it to. The gauge on it goes up to 250 bar?

fill it to 180-190 bar I would not go any higher then run a load of pellets through it with a chrono and find where the guns sweet spot is then fill it to that pressure, its no good putting extra air in if it doesn,t perform at its best

cracking little rifle , enjoy

atb Evo