Left handed guns

stuey

Got a beretta which was ordered as a left hand stock, but fancy a change as not getting in with it. Looking at browning, but don't see any advertised as left handed. Are Brownings just a straight stock, with no cast so for both left and right handed shooters?

Stu

From the little expierence I've had of shotguns I've learned not to get to hung up on the guns cast. As long as it's comfortable when you shoulder it there's far more important things

I shot a left handed over under and even after a fair bit of use I picked up someone's right handed and my score improved straight away.

I had a left handed semi which I couldn't get on with, I changed to another brand in right hand and instant improvement

Edited by kiffy

I would disagree with the above. The right cast is very important. If you doubt this - try a pattern plate. I'm right handed, but I have had a few guns fitted - and altering the cast has centred the pattern. Anyone can make themselves shoot with the wrong cast by deliberately moving the head to align the master eye with the rib, but this is not how it should happen. The gun mount should be natural, instinctive and consistent, bringing the master eye to align WITHOUT FURTHER MOVEMENT. You should not be concious of either the rib or the bead, but watch the target - and a well fitted gun with the right cast will do the rest.

A a left shoulder shot myself I sympathise with you. There are quite a few of us about but finding a LH gun can be difficult and even when you do price is often inflated. I think you need to ask yourself why you are not getting on with your Beretta - its nothing to do with the make. The height of the comb and the length of the stock are equally important. I suggest you try dry mounting the gun with your eyes closed - as soon as the gun is in your shoulder open your eyes and ask yourself what you can see. Is the bead dead centre on the rib or is it offset. Even if its slightly out it will make a big difference at 40 yds. How much rib can you see - if its a lot the comb is too high and you will shoot high.

I have bought a few new guns over the years and all have had to have the stock altered - usually about £50/75. Its worth doing.

Sometimes I pick up a RH gun and put it to my shoulder. If there is no cast and the stock is on the short side it comes up ok.

Sometimes a retailer will try to tell you that its your gun mounting thats at fault and if you practise it will come good. Whilst good gun mount is important my view is that the gun has to fit me and its not for me to fit myself to the gun.

It would be money well spent if you spent an hour with a gun coach before you spend money on swapping guns.

I have rambled on a bit but hope this helps.

Loads of gunships will tell you "you'll be fine with a RH browning they are straight" they are not straight ! You may be ok with a RH, I have a lefthand (cast on) 525 and a very rare cast on miroku 3800, the toe us the issue for me, I have a broad chest (rugby player, front row build) if you're a bean pole the fit is very different. Your welcome to try my 525 if your nearby they are all different, but a trip to a good gun fitter is probably a good idea before buying another gun

Mate of mine is a leftie. He used to have a left handed Browning Cynergy Black Ice, but now shoots a right handed Beretta Evo. Right handed guns don't seem to effect his shooting; he is a very good shot.

If you want to see the cast on any gun, ensure it's empty then stand it on its heel with the muzzle pointing at your face then look down the fore end, trigger guard and stock. Any cast will be plain to see.

Browning do do LH stocks. They tend to only be in the most basic engraving, but engraving is unlikely to make it shoot any better.

David.

Indeed i have a 525 with cast on stock and a Miroku 3800 the browning has no palm swell but the miroku does and oddly the miroku has less cast barely any.

i am left handed, and over the years i have tries several left handed shotguns.six months ago i traded my benelli m2 in for a winchester select 11 sporting topcoat left hand shotgun.what a revelation!!!.i cant seem to miss a shot now.this gun must be the perfect fit for me.so,after fifty years of shooting i now have a shotgun that will see me out.

What sort of money do people think fitting an adjustable stock will be ?

Surely this will add some value to a second hand gun as the new owner can simply adjust it to suit ?

Adjustable comb £200, butt pad £100-£150

However a fully adjustable ergosign or pfs is over £1k may make the gun more saleable but won't make it worth the outlay over a standard gun. The adjustment isn't limitless (unless you shoot a try gun )

What sort of money do people think fitting an adjustable stock will be ?

Surely this will add some value to a second hand gun as the new owner can simply adjust it to suit ?

Adjustable comb £200, butt pad £100-£150

However a fully adjustable ergosign or pfs is over £1k may make the gun more saleable but won't make it worth the outlay over a standard gun. The adjustment isn't limitless (unless you shoot a try gun )

I'm a leftie. I can shoot with a R/H gun.

Brownings generally have less cast than Beretta and I can often pick up a R/H Browning without too much problem.

The key issue is not the cast in general but the cast at the heel and (as pointed out above) that this pushes into your chest and makes to mount the gun oddly (in all sorts of ways including pushing it down to make it more comfortable).

Even with a L/H gun I need more cast on the heel and I use an ISIS adjustable pad - http://www.recoilsystems.com/adjustableRecoilPad/adjustable-recoil-pad.asp. This can be twisted over to increase the cast at the heel.

Too get round the cast "issue" you can get a fully adjustable stock but this will alter the balance of the gun due to the additional metal etc in the adjustable mechanism. That may create a whole new set of problems !!.

I'm a leftie. I can shoot with a R/H gun.

Even with a L/H gun I need more cast on the heel and I use an ISIS adjustable pad - http://www.recoilsystems.com/adjustableRecoilPad/adjustable-recoil-pad.asp. This can be twisted over to increase the cast at the heel.

Too get round the cast "issue" you can get a fully adjustable stock but this will alter the balance of the gun due to the additional metal etc in the adjustable mechanism. That may create a whole new set of problems !!.

I have an ISIS adjustable X-Pad on my miroku which although cast on is very straight (it has LH palm swell) my LH 525 standard ISIS pad is fine.

THis is the best explanation a cast on gun is the mirror image. see how the toe comes across shootign this LH the toe sticks in to you pectoral and to compensate you may twist the gun.

should13.jpg