visit

parrots2

and yet you still feel it necessary to say it over and over and over

I think everyone is very clear on your position with regards visits as you have made it very clear, but a lot of people feel different to you.

I have enjoyed many of your posts Boston but really mate its not needed everytime someone writes a post to continually argue your point.

nothing personal in what im saying it just does not need repeating ad nauseam

just cant help myself.i am just to darned sociable I guess.atb

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never had any interest in handguns or rifles come to that I cant really understand how they are banned here but allowed in northern Ireland when you consider the history of the province.politics I suppose or maybe vote grabbing.

The ban did not apply here because there was no appetite among the public for a ban, plus shooting organisations and politicians made it clear that they did not want the ban to apply to Northern Ireland. Its a pity more did not do the same in the rest of the UK.

On April 2nd 1998, the then Northern Secretary, Mo Mowlam, announced that she was not "convinced of the need to prohibit the possession and use" of handguns, bearing in mind the "clear commitment to maintaining the highest standards of personal behaviour" of firearms holders.

This affirmation by Labour of the Conservative government's decision, giving a unique exemption to the North, only came after a long campaign by the gun lobby that resulted in the Ulster Unionist leader, David Trimble, claiming he had won the argument in talks with the then British prime minister, John Major.

Edited by ordnance

• 5 months later...

Isn't it supposed to be at a "reasonable hour"? Because I would say that is not very reasonable!

We know each other fairly well as he has visited on a number of occasions, cabinet move,upgrade etc, I have always asked for an early visit due to our working patterns, he would have been too late if I had not forgotten something.

• 3 months later...

Received a phone call from an Armed Response Unit last night. He asked if I would mind them coming to check my guns and security.
They turned up about half an hour later, very pleasant and in a fully marked 4x4 wearing all their body armour.
Checked my guns and cabinet, pity they did not take my certificates in for the address change I have been waiting 16 months for.

Received a phone call from an Armed Response Unit last night. He asked if I would mind them coming to check my guns and security.

They turned up about half an hour later, very pleasant and in a fully marked 4x4 wearing all their body armour.

Checked my guns and cabinet, pity they did not take my certificates in for the address change I have been waiting 16 months for.

Low key affair then eh? Big, lit up neon sign on top of 4x4 with an arrow pointing at your house, stating 'Firearms owner lives here'? Did you ask them why they felt the need to check your security?

Why would armed responce arrive to check anyones firearms, Is that not a job for the FEO. It would not happen in this part of the UK it would be the local FEO, plus their are no armed response. :hmm:

Low key affair then eh? Big, lit up neon sign on top of 4x4 with an arrow pointing at your house, stating 'Firearms owner lives here'? Did you ask them why they felt the need to check your security?

Looks like they were checking quite a few, maybe they were having a slow night. Did not ask them why, looked to me like they were checking their records.