shotgun reloading book

Guest cookoff013

if you are after a guide on how to reload, a manual by lyman should be good often called "lyman 5"

if you are after experience on how to reload, find someone to teach you or, read up alot before making "the jump"

The Lyman manual is good for general reloading details and methodology but focusses on American powders. I'm not saying they are no good but they are twice the price of European powders. I started off using Alliant Red Dot but it was about £35.00 per 500grms. I changed to Vectan AS which was about £36.00 per Kg. Your decision? Either way there are plenty of very experienced reloaders on here which will help you no end. Look through the posts.

Best of luck but be careful, it's a very absorbing second hobby.

Im in my second year reloading and ive bought several reloading books including ballistic products and BPI and RSI reloading specialties inc, I found/find them good for understanding terms and use of components but only used the RSI recipes, possibly the best way forward is to find out what powder and components are available to you locally then look up recipes from the company website or from the supplier of the components, in my case Alliant, and Vectan. Components are readily available from several retailers. Of course there are several experts on PW who have recipes to share, its a fascinating "hobby"

The Lyman book is in two parts. The first part deals with reloading shotshells in general whilst the second part contains recipes and details of the various different hulls. It's very informative and good if you are going to use American powders such as Aliant. I don't know where abouts you are but I would suggest you look on the internet at Clay and Game or Folkstone Engineering Supplies in Kent to get an idea of the costs involved.

As I said I use Vectan powder now as it is half the cost of Red Dot. Vectan is a European powder so the Lyman book doesn't have details of it. If you give John a ring at FES he will help. With all mail orders powder and primers will cost about £30.00 to send as they are classed as dangerous materials and need to be carried in special containers (H&S). It is better to go to the shop to get your supplies, wherever you go. Hope this helps.

Dave