.22lr for Fox?

srspower

15 yards - OK - But I would never use one because I don't live in the city where I could annoy neighbours.

In my opinion it is just not up to the job where you have to make sure every shot is perfect. Shooting holes in a piece of pinned up paper is one thing - We are talking about a living animal which is never totally still.

Shotgun or centre fire for me.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess you don't raise your gun to quarry too often then teehee

Not as much these days, just every saturday and sunday and a couple of evenings in the week.

To be quite honest i dont post pics or write ups because it always attracts the keyboard warrior types, they seem hell bent on picking holes in everything from punctuation and spelling to distances that are shot over, i strongly believe that most of them have never, owned, shot, or even held a firearm.

colin

Having asked your feo,and been told no,I would tread carefully...magnum 12 gauge at those ranges probably your answer until your ticket changes..is the land cleared for .243?If so I would obtain a letter of consent for the land and re-approach your feo saying there is a fox issue,.

I agree what is the point in having a 243 which is ample for the job and they wont let you use it and complain when you say you will use the lower calliber .22lr which brings you back to are all FAO up to the job my answer NO

i guess you don't raise your gun to quarry too often then teehee

Not as much these days, just every saturday and sunday and a couple of evenings in the week.

To be quite honest i dont post pics or write ups because it always attracts the keyboard warrior types, they seem hell bent on picking holes in everything from punctuation and spelling to distances that are shot over, i strongly believe that most of them have never, owned, shot, or even held a firearm.

colin

would love to see it done though under hunting condition's

i could do it in a 10p size circle but through the same hole that would be interesting to see,

if anyone on here can do that they would be more than welcome to come to my permission for a shooting session and show me how it's done they would be fed and driven around and looked after

any offers

Colin

The .22 LR is more than enough gun for old Reynard . I have killed many foxes clean with both sub sonic and high velocity rim fire cartridges . Never underestimate the power of the .22 rimfire . It will also kill sheep and pigs clean if brain shot at close range . Trust me .

Harnser

Edited by Harnser

would love to see it done though under hunting condition's

i could do it in a 10p size circle but through the same hole that would be interesting to see,

if anyone on here can do that they would be more than welcome to come to my permission for a shooting session and show me how it's done they would be fed and driven around and looked after

any offers

Colin

If you get any takers colin a video would be good :good:

going to shoot a fox with my 243 then stick his head on a stick. pace 50 yards then shoot him in the head with a 22 skin it and see the damage and take a pic so you lot can put your handbags down :good::lol:

Not sure .243 is suitable for fox, a mate of mine saw one bounce off and hit a kitten that was nearby...

.338 Lapua Magnum or .50BMG would be preferable

Not sure .243 is suitable for fox, a mate of mine saw one bounce off and hit a kitten that was nearby...

.338 Lapua Magnum or .50BMG would be preferable

I completely agree with everyone that .22lr at sensible ranges is usable and humain on Fox....... It is my WMPF FLO who was telling me / trying to convince me of otherwise !

This is the type of mind set that my issueing force have, they seem to be a law unto themselfs.

ATB

Matt

I saw that program too. He said he had is gun zeroed around 15yards, I'm sure at that range the 22lr would be fine for a fox! But agree it can't be one rule for one and a different rule for another. My own opinion is that although the 22 rimfire will do for a fox, I don't think they are up to the job. But that's just my opinion.

Roy Lupton ,I think he's called shot one with .22 LR from an upstairs window at about 35 dropped on the spot.Think it's on one of the shooting sports channel on here

Roy Lupton ,I think he's called shot one with .22 LR from an upstairs window at about 35 dropped on the spot.Think it's on one of the shooting sports channel on here

yeah I saw that one , absolutely smoked it , and your right about 35 yrds .

i wasnt going to bother with any more posts on the subject , but i feel that as my word and my shooting ability have been called into question i should clarify things.

ive been shooting pretty much every firearm you can imagine for almost 40 years so im not exactly a newbie to shooting/fieldsports.

i do my best to make every shot count , i never pull the trigger with the expectation that ill miss , i do miss sometimes and its usually down to me wrongly estimating ranges(with .22lr) and on pieces of land that i dont shoot as regularly and im not quite as familiar with.

my preference (when using .22lr or .243) is always to shoot from the prone position and using a bi pod , this quite often isnt possible when hunting but is always my preference when possible.

with my cz 452 american .22lr using my much loved eley subs and shooting from a bi pod at 50 yards , i would expect a one hole group over a five shot string , it may be a ragged hole but it will be one hole.

as im getting older , i tend not to shoot off hand as much , however , i will still happily take head shots on rabbits out to 40/50 yards whilst shooting off hand.

i will also happily use my .22lr past 100 yards despite the fact that a lot of shooters will tell you that its not possible(i know its possible because ive been doing it every week for years).

i will add that over the last six months or so , ive been unable to get supplies of eley subs , ive tried several different types of ammo but nothing comes close in terms of accuracy , ive been limiting my ranges with the different types of ammo but im still quite happy taking rabbits at sub 100 yards.

both myself and my feo are happy for me to head shoot foxes at sub 50 yards with my .22lr , i shall carry on doing it until he instructs me to stop or until i feel that i am not capable , i do not sit and talk about the theory , i go out and do it , that makes any theory worthless ! , i see it , the guys that shoot with me see it , i see the guys that i shoot with do it , if any other shooter is incapable of doing it , it is their problem and not mine , they have a choice to either practice until they can do it or dont bother trying , just dont whine on about it.

i should also add , my ability with a shotgun isnt great (compared to many that i shoot with)im happy to take pigeon out to 30 yards but i dont push my shooting beyond that , having said that , i shoot with several guys that will push it a lot further , their shotgun ability is greater than mine and i really admire their skill , i dont whine at them and tell them that it cant be done.

and finally , im not one for keeping records so im not spot on with my figures , over the last ten years ive probably shot around two hundred ish foxes , im guessing that ten of those were taken with the .243(out to 200yards) and ten of them were taken with the shotgun(out to 30yards) , the rest were taken with the .22lr and taking headshots at sub 50yards (normally while out shooting rabbits).

mel :good:

If you watch the video of roy . You can clearly see the bullet hit the forhead and pass cleanly out through the other side and hit the ground . More than upto the job ! Case closed imo .

If you watch the video of roy . You can clearly see the bullet hit the forhead and pass cleanly out through the other side and hit the ground . More than upto the job ! Case closed imo .

Definite splash on the earth behind.

Edited by LeadWasp