visitors i didnt know about and were do i stand

Hi all as you know from previos posts i put up on this section me and a friend are managing a small patch of land which the farmer gave us the nod to do so.

Spent saturday morn scatter feeding checking traps ect while waiting for my mate to turn up there were skien after skien of pinks and greylag coming onto are fields so had are walk about lifted over 10,000 geese of and we arranged to invite some friends on the next morning to shoot them.

Next morning comes we get into the yard unload the vehicles got dogs out and a pick up comes into the yard i think o heres eric the mate who works with me on the land wrong. Its two blokes who have been following the geese and watched them coming on and asked two days before if they could have a do and were told yes.

But after speaking to them and stressing the point we have invested alot of money on feeders grain drinkers machine hire and man hours they apologised and left.

But what i want to know is were would i stand if they shoot any pheasant partridge duck on telling them that we want money off them for shooting them as me and my mate are paying for everything out of are own pockets.

I know how hard shooting is to come by but when im paying for grain ect out my own pocket to maintain some good sport for myself and my mate it feels like were peeing in the wind.

On the up note we shot 12 geese between four of us could have shot alot more but 12 is enough.

Any way back to my issue are me and my mate within are rights to tell them that if they shoot pheasant ect we wont money back for what we have spent. Is that a fair enough ask or is it a tad harsh?

My feelings with how freely a quickly they left they have other land to go at but i only have this land to shoot on.

Speak to the farmer, explain about your investment in terms of time and money and ask him if he wouldn't mind not letting just anyone on the land to shoot. He should understand.

As for the two chaps who turned up and left after your explanation they were pretty decent to do so.

If the landowner had given them permission to shoot the land then they were very accommodating by leaving when asked; I know some who wouldn't have in the same circumstances.

You need to be agreeing some specifics with your landowner, because if someone approaches him and offers to pay to shoot his land, you may find yourselves with nothing to shoot.

Hold on, let me get this straight.

You spend money on setting up the shoot for pheasant and partridge and duck.

You happen to have geese feeding on the fields, which belong to the farmer.

Farmer ( i presume ) gives two blokes permission to have ago at the geese.

You tell the two blokes they need to foxtrot oscar because you and your mates want ago at the geese.

From the facts i can gather from your post. I conclude you where completely out of order. Its the farmers land and he can give permission for shooting geese is he so pleases.

To be fair i didnt tell them to fox trot off. My issue wasnt them being there my issue was i was speaking with the farmer the day before for over a hour and he never mentioned it to me especially when i told him that we would be on early hours to sort the geese out and he said ok no problem.

But they were saying they spoke to him roughly a hour or two before i spoke to him.

So you must understand why i was rather standoffish when they approached me.

I have arranged a proper meeting with the farmer to have a sit down chat and arrange things properly.

To be fair i didnt tell them to fox trot off. My issue wasnt them being there my issue was i was speaking with the farmer the day before for over a hour and he never mentioned it to me especially when i told him that we would be on early hours to sort the geese out and he said ok no problem.

But they were saying they spoke to him roughly a hour or two before i spoke to him.

So you must understand why i was rather standoffish when they approached me.

I have arranged a proper meeting with the farmer to have a sit down chat and arrange things properly.

I would have done the same trying there luck I bet

10,000 geese on his farm, no wonder he gave these men the nod to have a go! You need to keep on top of pests ( farmer will see geese as pests ) tell the farmer you will do so, then chat about your other shooting there. You might just keep hold of your shooting then! Best way to pick up some pigeon shooting is when you see birds hitting fields hard, knock on farmers door and ask if you can have a go at them there and then. A lot will let you, and if you do a better job than the resident guns, don't be surprised if you gain full permission ( geese too !). Watch how you tread, catch the farmer on a good day ( gain ) on a bad day ( lose ) your shooting!!

Perhaps a better way of dealing with it was to have explained your situation and who you are and say that if they want to shoot geese that day as a one off that would be fine (Never know, may have been nice chaps and made the shooting all the more fun)...

But explain that you manage pheasants and partridge etc on the land and they are not to shoot them as they are yours? and it's a one off for those geese and to co-ordinate with you.

The issue I see is kind of what Big Mat was getting at: It's the farmers land, he lets you do things on it and invest your money with your own free will. If he has 10,000 geese on the fields he wants them gone and would let someone else have a go (this is kind of what PC does, goes and says can I pop on for the day and get the numbers down) - if you keep throwing spanners into works, farmer will think you are hard work and not worth the issues and the relationship will quickly break down.

We shoot on a number of farms that have syndicate game shoots on them. We respect their shoot days and avoid them. However on two occasions by different farmers I have been contacted and asked to get guns onto crop protection regardless of the shoot. On both times the farmer had asked the shoot for help but nothing happened. So the farmers came onto me and said they have had their chance (the shoot) now you get on with it please. So as others have said. If your farmer has a crop problem and you don't deal with it he will find someone that will.

• 2 weeks later...

You probably want to think about 'leasing' the shooting rights off of your farmer - provided he owns them. That way you will have complete control. However your farmer may not wish to do so unless there is a clause in the contract allowing him to shoot pests as inevitably you wont always be available to do so.

Have a word with him, and if you are a member of a professional organisation then maybe seek some advice from them, they'll be more than happy to chat to you.

QS

weather you have got the rights make no difference, the farmer has the right himself to shoot pests on his land or let someone else shoot pests for him for reward on his land. if you are lucky and have a good relationship with your land owner you will get the rights and be his pest control man!

• 5 weeks later...

Seems to me you have a communications problem with your farmer. As stated he can give whoever he wants permision to shoot,you included . I like to think of my farmers as friends and talk to them as mates P S I would have left the geese to go off to roost in their own time.More chance of them coming back next morning . They might have belonged to a big pheasant shoot and had you as guests if you let them shoot the geese with you

weather you have got the rights make no difference, the farmer has the right himself to shoot pests on his land or let someone else shoot pests for him for reward on his land. if you are lucky and have a good relationship with your land owner you will get the rights and be his pest control man!

Geese are not vermin so If you had the sole sporting rights to said land then the farmer could not give someone else permission to shoot the geese.

• 3 weeks later...