Regiegun

Dougy

Now i'm on a PC i thought i would just say a big thanks for Regiegun for inviting me over to his patch to have a go at some Fox's last Friday :good:

The weather had been bloody awful, rained for most of the morning i believe and the ground was rather thick with mud, and a few little lakes around the gateways to wade through :rolleyes: . The going was tuff with little showing at the start. I think the first couple of hours walking and sod all showed.

The firt Fox we, or should say I spotted, was when Regiegun walked out to place the Fox pro about 75yds into a field while myself and Steve (Regies mate) with his home made spotter which was very good indeed waited in the hedge row, i spotted a Fox that was in front and to the left of Reggie as he walked out & about a further 100yds out.

It was obviously a no shot, and we tried to get Regie to pull back but try and call someone quietly with spooking the Fox was a difficult task albeit bloody impossible :lol:.

It did appear though about 200yds + further back, i daren't risk the shot at that range, it wasn't my bit and if i missed it would be a pain to call or shoot in future, if it were my land then it would have been a risky shot :yes: but a miss would have been more time to have another go at it, but 1 hour journey there, i obviously would not spend the time chasing missed Fox's as i would on my patch. We tried calling but it wasn't having it and was away into a wood and off.

Well there was a Fox on the land after all, glad to see something. More walking though onwards and upwards :rolleyes:

Stopped in some nice Foxy looking spots, the call went out and nothing showed, like any other night Foxing really sometimes they show and sometimes they just aren't about. Walking through more nice wet brown sticky fields we came to a gate way and i had a quick scan with the archer, BLIMEY :yes: a pair of eyes on the brow of a hill in front of a little wood, NO !!! 3 pairs of eyes, wow we are in here, but i needed to close the gap. It was one of those fields that has a hill, a valley and a sort of curve to both. The moon was going into its last 1/2 and cloud cover was a bit hit and miss so we were at a disadvantage being lit up just when we didn't need it :/ I tried to go down the hill allong the hedge line and try and get a clear shot but i think i got spotted and just the 1 pair of eyes remained, but soon went down the valley and i lost it for a moment, i then saw it in the hedge bottom, but i was not quick enough to get onto it, dam :sad1: Muddy bottom, muddy knees and not a shot, gutted.

I think with the muddy fields and the lack of bullets coming out of my barrel Reggie was getting a little despondent I think it was about then that it was time to take a walk back to the vehicles stopping on the way now and again. Calling but not seeing anything :no: it was getting early, not late early :lol: i must admit i was starting to get a bit cream krackered, We came to a field with some rape stubble on stopped 1/2 way into a sort of headland bit and had a bit of a scan with Steves DIY NV spotter and my archer, had a bit of a chin wag then Regie got one of his calls out and proceeded to make my ears squeal :rolleyes:, i reckon he must have gone blue in the face the way he was blowing on it, a bit of a chin wag again and Steve scanning around nowt, i have a look being with the archer :yahoo: a FOX 100 yards away I got down and tried to get the Bi-Pod sorted and mount the archer the rifles wonky that ain't right :unsure: the bi-pod legs were uneven, sorted the fox is still there, im spotting still with the archer, i go to mount the archer, i cant get it on :w00t: it wont fit :no: , the Fox is still there BUT i cant see jack without the archer mounted, i manage to wiggle it on, blurred vision i see the fox's eyes lit up with the IR i take the shot :yahoo:

NO i cant believe it :w00t:

yep i bloody missed :lol:

Reasons for missing, ive made a list

Number 1 - I'm a rubbish shot

Number 2 - I should have cleaned to mud from off the archer and scope after i went bottom over bosom.

Number 3 - I should have checked the Bi-Pod was level after i went A over T

Loads more reasons but they could be lies.

Paul sorry for not shooting any of your Fox's, i had a good time myself, no damage done to me or the rifle just my reputation :lol:

Thanks for the invite :good:

Doughy mate, got in at 5am, had to set back off with Alix at 7.30am for the pheasant shoot. First drive fox was flushed, Alix shot it, said to me, I don't need to be out all night dad. Second drive another fox flushed.

Getting to old for all this.

Edited by reggiegun