Anyone still use no.7 shot for pigeons?

Man o kent

Phil as far as I am concerned the Eley table you elude to is to be treated like the governments vehicle stopping distances figures.

Both are well out of date!

Yep, it seems we're told that, for example, we can consistently kill a cock pheasant with a TC barrel in excess of 50 yards with a cartridge having the same number of pellets that equates to a 11/16oz of No 6.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

If I was only shooting pigeons that decoyed to the pattern I would be very happy using an ounce of 7s through cylinder barrels. In fact, being an avid follower of Archie Coates, I did so for many years and it was very effective, if a tad lazy. Cartridge to kill ratios were flattering, as you may imagine, but it was inevitable that many shootable pigeons went unsaluted.

For the last couple of decades I have taken on all comers (within reason) and my bags have roughly doubled as a result. I now use 32g 5.5 fibre via full choke 32" tubes in 12 bore with an Isis recoil reducer fitted. The Isis is a miracle bit of kit, by the way. Why they are not more widely used is a mystery to me.

In my experience (subjective and quite possibly wrong, I admit) out to 35 yards, or so, choke/load choice is not particularly critical to success. Once you are dealing with the area between 40 to 60 yards it is a different ballgame. I don't deliberately shoot beyond about 60 as pattern density falls off quickly regardless of choke and I don't wish to use a heavier load.

If I was only shooting pigeons that decoyed to the pattern I would be very happy using an ounce of 7s through cylinder barrels. In fact, being an avid follower of Archie Coates, I did so for many years and it was very effective, if a tad lazy. Cartridge to kill ratios were flattering, as you may imagine, but it was inevitable that many shootable pigeons went unsaluted.

For the last couple of decades I have taken on all comers (within reason) and my bags have roughly doubled as a result. I now use 32g 5.5 fibre via full choke 32" tubes in 12 bore with an Isis recoil reducer fitted. The Isis is a miracle bit of kit, by the way. Why they are not more widely used is a mystery to me.

In my experience (subjective and quite possibly wrong, I admit) out to 35 yards, or so, choke/load choice is not particularly critical to success. Once you are dealing with the area between 40 to 60 yards it is a different ballgame. I don't deliberately shoot beyond about 60 as pattern density falls off quickly regardless of choke and I don't wish to use a heavier load.

Another interesting post. It's strange how experiences can differ. I like to have a go at any pigeon at around 50 yards, even with 7.5 shot. If the pattern is placed correctly, the pigeons invariably fall dead.

Another interesting post. It's strange how experiences can differ. I like to have a go at any pigeon at around 50 yards, even with 7.5 shot. If the pattern is placed correctly, the pigeons invariably fall dead.

Don't doubt your experience for a minute, Motty. But I need a combination that works to 60 yards rather than 50. Allowing some room for error let's say 65 yards in reality.

Don't doubt your experience for a minute, Motty. But I need a combination that works to 60 yards rather than 50. Allowing some room for error let's say 65 yards in reality.

I'm in awe. Yep, the energy is there at 65 yards but in theory with standard choke performance you're getting less than half the pellet strike that the BASC recommend as the minimum for the pigeon (which I,incidentally, think is wrong but they're the experts). What make of choke are you using, sounds the bees' knees?

Cheers

I'm in awe. Yep, the energy is there at 65 yards but in theory with standard choke performance you're getting less than half the pellet strike that the BASC recommend as the minimum for the pigeon (which I,incidentally, think is wrong but they're the experts). What make of choke are you using, sounds the bees' knees?

Cheers

Fixed trap chokes which are supposed to be 40-45 thou constriction. I only had them measured once so can't vouch for the numbers. What I have found is that their effectiveness varies with different cartridges. I haven't tried everything on the market but SIPE seem best all round and give me most confidence. Gamebore black gold 32g 5 also pattern well but the SIPE seem to be the most effective in the field. Numbers only get you so far; in the end you have to go with what you see in real use.

Fixed trap chokes which are supposed to be 40-45 thou constriction. I only had them measured once so can't vouch for the numbers. What I have found is that their effectiveness varies with different cartridges. I haven't tried everything on the market but SIPE seem best all round and give me most confidence. Gamebore black gold 32g 5 also pattern well but the SIPE seem to be the most effective in the field. Numbers only get you so far; in the end you have to go with what you see in real use.

Many thanks. Agree both points.

I go through phases where I have confidence regardless of what I have in the chambers(within reason) 6, 7 or 7.5 28 gramme or 32. At present I'm using 6 32 gramme clear pigeon at 53 per slab and I find they will take a more rangey bird flying on past the pattern. Shot through improved and 3/4 choke (now fixed in my Medallist) it's as much to do with CONFIDENCE in my view.

Both my sxs have open chokes, one is 1/4 in both barrels and the other imp cyl in both barrels. For pigeons I use 28 gm 7.5s and am sometimes amazed at how far out they will connect. I also have a rem 1100 with a cutts on and use a variable set at about a 1/4 and it does the bizzo as well.