Are we going to have the same problem as last year?

Richie10

Seems we are in for another mild wet winter. Marshes are quiet compared to previous years again due to the inland surface water.

Does anyone know if we are going to be due a cold snap as it's making my decoying sessions very quiet.

Early season was seeing alot of ducks, now it seems that the numbers of teal and wigeon haven't arrived in force like previous years.

What is everyone else seeing?

Cheers

Rich

I hear that some widgeon have come over on the recent easterlies. I hope there are some about, as I am on Brandy Hole on Sunday for the tide, courtesy of my friend and the BWA.

Seems we are in for another mild wet winter. Marshes are quiet compared to previous years again due to the inland surface water.

Does anyone know if we are going to be due a cold snap as it's making my decoying sessions very quiet.

Early season was seeing alot of ducks, now it seems that the numbers of teal and wigeon haven't arrived in force like previous years.

What is everyone else seeing?

Cheers

Rich

More wigeon turning up now in the past weeks east winds , but the previous month has been quiet inland and on the coast on my Norfolk marshes. Inland has been shooting a lot better than the coast as at last we have some much needed rain. Bumper year for mallard however and I have already had more than in average season. Fair numbers of teal about here too and again in the last few weeks reasonable numbers of pink feet turning up. What we have been short of is decent wind to stir up the fowl and keep them low.

As for knowing if we are going to get a cold snap you can beleve the forcasters ( some giving a freezing spell comming while others saying its going to stay mild ) and I always recon you will never know until the end of the winter what the weather will be. Oneof the coldest ones I have experanced back in the 70s was very mild until mid December heavy snow New Years day and then we had ice and snow for most of the remainder of the season , and wildfowling bans. We all like a bit of cold weather , but be careful what you wsh for.

I hear that some widgeon have come over on the recent easterlies. I hope there are some about, as I am on Brandy Hole on Sunday for the tide, courtesy of my friend and the BWA.

Good luck for Sunday and let us know how you get on. It's been quiet on the tide flights recently but Brandy hole is different to other marshes and can throw up some surprises.

More wigeon turning up now in the past weeks east winds , but the previous month has been quiet inland and on the coast on my Norfolk marshes. Inland has been shooting a lot better than the coast as at last we have some much needed rain. Bumper year for mallard however and I have already had more than in average season. Fair numbers of teal about here too and again in the last few weeks reasonable numbers of pink feet turning up. What we have been short of is decent wind to stir up the fowl and keep them low.

As for knowing if we are going to get a cold snap you can beleve the forcasters ( some giving a freezing spell comming while others saying its going to stay mild ) and I always recon you will never know until the end of the winter what the weather will be. Oneof the coldest ones I have experanced back in the 70s was very mild until mid December heavy snow New Years day and then we had ice and snow for most of the remainder of the season , and wildfowling bans. We all like a bit of cold weather , but be careful what you wsh for.

Was out on the marsh last week, low tide and while setting the decoys I had small groups of ducks flying around, it was windy and raining.

Tide came in and the rain cleared and the wind completely dropped, saw 2 teal after that.....

Would hope we get some frost at least...

The wind often drops away at the top of the tide.

Was out on the marsh last week, low tide and while setting the decoys I had small groups of ducks flying around, it was windy and raining.

Tide came in and the rain cleared and the wind completely dropped, saw 2 teal after that.....

Would hope we get some frost at least...

I have seen few duck on one marsh i visit, even on a tide there has just not been many about when i have been.

I was on the washes yesterday but despite there being plenty of duck none of them wanted to come close enough, clear skys, no wind and plenty of choice of where to swim and they all went elsewhere.

If anything I have got more water on the marshes than I want , but if I had the choice I would sooner have to much than not enough and most nights I go I do at least see duck , not big numbers , anything from a pair to twenty pus , and knowing the marshes as well as I do I can normally put myself in position to get a shot if any do come in. Not always but we cant get it right all of the time.

As far as Widgeon go we are seeing more each day coming on the estuary and Monday night I did get a drake Pintail , the first one this year and without looking in my diary might be the first for two or three years .I don't mind a bit of cold weather , a nice fall of snow is ideal but when it freeze from the east for any amount of time and the splashes freeze over the marshes are devoid of duck as they stay on the open water. So whatever the weather do there is nothing we can do about it , so we will keep our fingers crossed that we all get a little of whatever conditions you like the most .