Defender 90 or Hilux Invincible

Cawdor118

I'm after a new vehicle for everything, my heads saying go with the Hilux - reliable, relatively comfortable, practical and just generally a good all round vehicle. However my heart has always wanted a Defender 90... Unreliable, uncomfortable, cold, poor fuel consumptions- however I have ALWAYS wanted one.

I have never owned a defender... They say you should never own your dream car. What do you think?

What to do?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts - Defenders are the most stolen vehicle in the UK - Fact !! The Hilux will serve you well & take you everywhere you need to go - it's more likely to remain your property too ;)

But there's "something" about owning a Defender - I had a 1989 V8 90 CSW for a few years & it put a massive smile on my face every time I drove it :good: :good:

If you do buy a Defender get the best security fitted to it you can find & even then don't leave it where the scum can lift it onto a truck with a Hiab ;)

Life is too short, go with your heart. If you have always wanted one then scratch that itch. Chances are you will love it. Other Defender drivers wave, you will have a smile on your chops, will get you anywhere and if you really dislike it, you can sell and won't have lost anything.

Edited by jgguinness

defenders are fun, better clearance than hi-lux lot of said 4x4 are getting lower to the ground with trims etc. the defender is a large mecharno set if you are practical but has little luxuries loved mine, they are theft magnet wheel clamp and steering lock recommended atb

ive had 6 defenders, always been reliable, they just keep on going ..... 5 of the 6 were 200 & 300tdi's ...... awesome engines

they are however noisy and not as comfortable

they will go anywhere

THE most fun vehicle ive ever owned bar none

This makes me think about the old couple who always go to Clackton on sea for there holidays asked why they said we do not no why we just do and always have done for the last 50 years.

never mind a new one.....they are for hairdressers....................if you have that sort of dosh buy a really nice seris 2...galv chassis ....capstan winch...soft top.......and use it when you really need to use it..........then spend to rest of the money on some sort of jap stuff that when you press a button it keeps your bottom warm !

ive had 6 defenders, always been reliable, they just keep on going ..... 5 of the 6 were 200 & 300tdi's ...... awesome engines

they are however noisy and not as comfortable

they will go anywhere

THE most fun vehicle ive ever owned bar none

I'm now on my 3rd def 90 none of which were sold through mechanical faults downtime or excessive failures I don't know where people get the idea that all defenders are unreliable I've only ever done brakes and a clutch it's true that a hi lux would be a more useable daily vehicle but I doubt a hilux would stand the punishment I tend to give my defender and it certainly wouldn't go where mine can

never mind a new one.....they are for hairdressers....................if you have that sort of dosh buy a really nice seris 2...galv chassis ....capstan winch...soft top.......and use it when you really need to use it..........then spend to rest of the money on some sort of jap stuff that when you press a button it keeps your bottom warm !

If I could afford to have two cars a nice comfortable car as my daily driver and an old Landy like you say that would be my dream but for me Landys are a bit agricultural for driving on the road most of the time.

I have had 4 defenders now and every time I sold one it was because I was sick of working on it. I now have a l200 so maintenance free so far. Each time I sold the defender I said I wouldn't get another one but between me and you I don't think I have got them out of my system yet but rehab is keeping them at bay for now.

If you have never had one just go for it and get it out of your system

Defenders are great second cars! I find the 90 too small for even two people with luggage and the rear seats really eat your useable space. Also the road tax on newer ones is crippling! :oops:

As has been said above, go for an older Defender to play with and something else to get from A to B on metalled roads. :good:

Had a Defender as a second car for the lat 15 years and really missing one now. :no:

a shooting partner of mine was looking for a new car 4x4 he sold the disco he had used for the past twelve years which to be fair gave him very few problems.he asked my opinion and I told him I did not think the landrover was for him.anyway he bought a new 90 had a few bits added and paid over 26k for it.he collected it 3 months ago and drove it the 180 miles to his home it has now covered 400 miles as he or his wife cant stand being in it.they have a twenty year old golf they use every day.and he is looking to get another car.and it will be Japanese.

For a while I had a Defender 110 in work;

It was cold,

The heater was awful,

It was cramped up front unless you're a midget,

It was thirsty,

It was unreliable,

It was slow on the road,

It was loud inside.

And I absolutely adored it. Everytime I drove it I ended up with a massive smile on my face. Would I buy one? Head says no way, buy a HIlux. Heart says YES YES YES.