Defender 90 or Hilux Invincible

Cawdor118

If you can fit in one and have movement in your right arm get a Defender - it will also be your next hobby

I'm six foot and broad enough, no problem with room in my defender!

It goes everywhere, and at this time of year it's only the defender drivers who are getting everywhere they need to on the shoot, bags of wheat 'n' all

Maintance wise it is no better or worse than any of my customers vehicles, but, everything is available for it and at realistic prices.

Edited by Paul223

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been a Landrover owner for 20+ yrs and have driven many thousands of miles and owned just about nearly every variant from series vehicles to defenders, disco's to p38 RR's. I'm a fan and love my current Td5 90 CSW but....... Have just ordered a 3.0 hi lux! Will be keeping the defender but the hi lux is a more useable everyday vehicle for me. More comfort and the value and spec is far superior to a landrover defender. I wanted a new 90 before they stopped making them but what you get for what you pay is not 'value'. I think each vehicle has a purpose and I'm fortunate to have the option of both. If a landrover is maintained correctly then reliability should be an issue. Just wax oil it.....

Of course the Hi-Lux and other Japanese trucks will be cheaper....

Of course the Hi-Lux and other Japanese trucks will be more comfortable...

Of course the Hi-Lux and other Japanese trucks will have more equipment...

Of course the Hi-Lux and other Japanese trucks will go to the same places (probably)

.....but they're just not Defenders.

I am on my third, never had any problems that I didn't have on a normal car...

It is a heart over head decision, your heart says LR, your head says other....

Anyone else reading this thread who is considering one, should switch off and go and get one :)

My Landy is 40 years old. Let's see how many L200's are still on the go at that age. :) It is used everyday for work (self employed) and on the shoot. It is noisy, draughty, not too fast ( but then I'm never in a rush anyhow ) but will trundle away at all legal speed limits, leaks in a little, smells of dead things (so my missus says) and my daughter is embarrassed to be seen in it unless she needs a lift of course, but everyone who sees it reckons it's 'smart', and I love it. I go out of the house each morning and when I see it I think, bloody hell that's smart...it makes me smile.

I had a Disco ES 300 tdi for some years; electric everything, heated front and rear screens, but it just wasn't the same.

U have never said wot u want it for? Type of work/driving u do? How much space in the back?

Even owning a 4x4, i wrote mine off last year and only very occasionally miss it (and i really could use 1 for work, but just make do), dear to run and dear to fix no mater wot brand. Got a wee scrapper van the now with winter tyres and it runs for peanuts and i put it some fairly queer bits, as long as got a down hill exit ur laughing

Ignoring the whole LR love/hate thing (personally i just don't get it) depending on wot u actually need it should make ur mind up for u. In my mind the hi lux and 90 are 2 very different vehicles and offer 2 very different things. If i had that money to spend there really would not be any hesitation on where my cash would go.

Many folk reckon a LR will go bits other won't, i've never been convinced usually far more to do with tyres or driver than the badge on the bonnet, seen all kinds bogged over the years, and even if they do u are talking about such extreme places u are going to get stuck eventually and when u do u will be stuck BIG. If ur going to talk about extreme off roading ur suzuki SJ or Jimny will also go places most other heavier ones won't won't. Even seen a lada riva travel places most wouldnae dare but the driver was a maniac!

Everyone wants something different out of there motors, and while other 4x4's may suit wot others use theres for u may be wanting something totally different.

Most of the reasons folk want/love LR's are no longer valid, no longer the best/only off roader, no longer uk built/owned, no longer simple engines with little electrics/copmplications, no longer highest towing capacity.

Basically they were the best 30 od years ago but have never moved with the times (dash has never changed in 30 yrs) and now are a pale shadow of there former self, and all these jap imposters have overtook and are now far superior in almost every aspect.

Possibly the only positive they have is off road but so few people actually push there LR's or any other 4x4 off road its no longer really important, and now these foreign 4x4's are abused on most farms, fencers, forestry etc than LR's and they are folk who need the off road ability

Fare from me to criticize other people for there spelling as I am hopeless at it myself but do you not understand that U is not a word it is a letter YOU is a word.

I have noticed that the power line and open cast folk got rid of L/R defenders and used jap 4x4,s but they seem to have gone back to the defenders in my neck of the woods just an observation.

The leccy boys where running Rangers for the fast response stuff and Defenders for the grunt work round here