Pop-up hides & Ghillie Suites - Opinions?

Longchalk

I've gained a few new rape fields last week, but like a lot of my other permissions, it will be a long old walk from the car to the safest shooting positions, up and down muddy slopes. It's not really practical for barrowing the kit across wet uneven ground, so I have been seriously considering ways to lighten the load and/or the number of trips.

I've looked at some videos on Youtube for various pop-up hides, and whilst they look handy for occasional use where you don't want to lug too much stuff, they all look like the interior space, field of view and shooting arc might be a bit limited. I'm a biggish bloke - 6' 2" and 18st. ... Anyone got any practical experience of shooting from them? Are they any lighter than hide poles and 2 layers of camo net?

Or... For these locations, I could invest in a decent Ghillie suit and dispense with a hide althogether - Just take the decoys, chair and gun, and put the suit on when in position - Again, any advice on how effective this is in practice?

Thanks all.

I have a Ameristep outhouse blind that i have used on very rare occasions when a long walk is in order, I like you are also a big chap and find it not as easy as poles and netting to shoot from but it is a lot lighter and easier to carry.You are more than welcome to come over and have a look if you like.

Outlander

The way I see it is for the lightest possible load you'd need a seat 1 lightweight net,poles (unless you can use a hedgerow) 6 shell decoys,carts and of course gun ( in slip) I've seen lots of people load up then take the gun out of the slip and carry it.

A pop up hide can't be that much lighter than conventional netting and nor can a ghillie suit you propose to carry.

If it were me I'd make a couple of trips mind you I am on a fitness drive so I'd welcome the extra workout lol

Jim

I've gained a few new rape fields last week, but like a lot of my other permissions, it will be a long old walk from the car to the safest shooting positions, up and down muddy slopes. It's not really practical for barrowing the kit across wet uneven ground, so I have been seriously considering ways to lighten the load and/or the number of trips.

I've looked at some videos on Youtube for various pop-up hides, and whilst they look handy for occasional use where you don't want to lug too much stuff, they all look like the interior space, field of view and shooting arc might be a bit limited. I'm a biggish bloke - 6' 2" and 18st. ... Anyone got any practical experience of shooting from them? Are they any lighter than hide poles and 2 layers of camo net?

Or... For these locations, I could invest in a decent Ghillie suit and dispense with a hide althogether - Just take the decoys, chair and gun, and put the suit on when in position - Again, any advice on how effective this is in practice?

Thanks all.

The good examples will be a cross section of the set up's used by the regular pigeon shooters on here....

Cant remember pigeon controller and co using what you are proposing....

TEH

The good examples will be a cross section of the set up's used by the regular pigeon shooters on here....

TEH

Quite. Hence my slight scepticism. I've searched the topic in the forums but there doesn't seem to be much specific comment... Perhaps that should tell me something ? :)

I would stress that I'm not expecting it to be complete substitute, just a reasonable compromise on occasions and imagine there must be plenty of people on here who've actually tried them ( Apart from Outlander!)

I have a Ameristep outhouse blind that i have used on very rare occasions when a long walk is in order, I like you are also a big chap and find it not as easy as poles and netting to shoot from but it is a lot lighter and easier to carry.You are more than welcome to come over and have a look if you like.

Outlander

Thanks that's a kind offer. I did look at the one on the web and it seemed better than some, if a bit more pricey. If I decide to take the plunge I'll maybe message you and pop over.

If it were me I'd make a couple of trips mind you I am on a fitness drive so I'd welcome the extra workout lol

Jim

I'd agree with you in principle Jim. I make two trips in and two trips out usually....Or more if there are many birds to extract.... My preference when it comes to exercise though is generally to try not have a coronary in the process. :lol:

There seems to be a few camps from what I have read on here since I joined, me personally I like to do the best I can, if that means walking 300 yards twice and 4 trips to carry back a decent bag then I will do so....

Others seem quite happy to sit and enjoy the day.....

It is what you get out of it.....

A few things I have found with pigeon shooting....you will need every shot in the book and some to put them on the ground...

That range of shots requires you swing your gun well....being in a camo suit or pop up hide will work...however it wont work well...

A good bench mark is the likes of Coats, Theobald, Albone, Crow, Digweed, Garfitt....

TEH

I use TP pop up hide on occasions, bought from Bushcraft. I found that seated in the hide you can get a fair amount of elevation,for incoming birds.

But you have to watch for 'blind spots;. I tend to get most pigeons just as they 'flare ' to land. Its nice and dry though when the weather turns.

It has two shoulder straps, and is very light to carry. With Shottie, shells, a drink and choccie hobnobs.in my army daybag, and a chair, I can

hobble to a convenient place.I wont replace a proper hide, but if you have a limited mount of time or you alone , its just the job. :good:

All of my permissions are walk to the spot apart from stubble time, this years spring I bought a bucket seat as a try out for the heavy soil winter rape shooting walks, I get everything I need in it including a small net with poles made from fibreglass breakdown tent poles, plus 100 cartridges.

Obviously rotary (which is a home made lightweight one just for hypaflaps) and things like floater poles will not go in but strap to the gun slip carried over the shoulder.

The hide per your post is used triangular, one pole in the front used shorter than the side ones as is my preference, each lightweight net side is approximately 140cm (4 foot+ ) high, the hide poles assemble to approximately 150cm (near 5 foot) long, small plastic tent pegs and paracord ties to the poles add for stability in the wind.

Used backed to a hedge , tree or bush it works fine , not the biggest or roomiest of hides but does work well.

All of my permissions are walk to the spot apart from stubble time, this years spring I bought a bucket seat as a try out for the heavy soil winter rape shooting walks, I get everything I need in it including a small net with poles made from fibreglass breakdown tent poles, plus 100 cartridges.

Obviously rotary (which is a home made lightweight one just for hypaflaps) and things like floater poles will not go in but strap to the gun slip carried over the shoulder.

The hide per your post is used triangular, one pole in the front used shorter than the side ones as is my preference, each lightweight net side is approximately 140cm (4 foot+ ) high, the hide poles assemble to approximately 150cm (near 5 foot) long, small plastic tent pegs and paracord ties to the poles add for stability in the wind.

Used backed to a hedge , tree or bush it works fine , not the biggest or roomiest of hides but does work well.

Hi Den,

All the light weight stuff a great surjection's but all these threads never mention how to deal with carrying back 50/60/70/80 pigeons

What will they do........?

TEH

Hi Den,

All the light weight stuff a great surjection's but all these threads never mention how to deal with carrying back 50/60/70/80 pigeons

What will they do........?

TEH

Ello Tim very true, but if I have had that good a day I do not mind making several trips back and forth with the pigeon sack, but if the pigeon dont play or I have a very small bag I am not that knacked to feel the effort and reward was out of balance , I know thats not what its about but at my age exhaustion can take the edge off the enjoyment and take a while to get the bones moving again :)

Edited by deny essex

TEH

My lightweight set up if I have to walk a good distance consists of the following:-

Homemade swivel bucket seat, in which I carry 100 carts, small lightweight nylon hide, flasks of coffee,two small angel frames and a tube with fifty bamboo skewers.

This all fits in a ex german double strap kit bag, gun in hold all , four alloy rod rests that extend to 8ft are strapped to the holdall . Six thawed pigeons in a wine bottle carrier in spare hand.

If I run out of cartridges I put fifty birds in the kit bag and walk back to the Disco and bring a fresh bag back plus cartridges. When I pack up I carry the kit bag on my back , gun and poles on shoulder and other kit in bucket in right hand.

My lightweight set up if I have to walk a good distance consists of the following:-

Homemade swivel bucket seat, in which I carry 100 carts, small lightweight nylon hide, flasks of coffee,two small angel frames and a tube with fifty bamboo skewers.

This all fits in a ex german double strap kit bag, gun in hold all , four alloy rod rests that extend to 8ft are strapped to the holdall . Six thawed pigeons in a wine bottle carrier in spare hand.

If I run out of cartridges I put fifty birds in the kit bag and walk back to the Disco and bring a fresh bag back plus cartridges. When I pack up I carry the kit bag on my back , gun and poles on shoulder and other kit in bucket in right hand.

I get that as I do the same...however my point is people ask about a light weight fix on the way out but never seem to have a plan if they shoot a sack full.....

Unless they just want a day out......!!

TEH

As regards carrying out the dead, I carry a large 12ftsq decorator's cotton dust sheet in the car. In summer it acts to cover the birds in the bottom of the hedge keeping the flies off, but I can also just chuck them on it, draw up the corners into a sack and tie it off with string, then sling it over my shoulder. If carrying that alone, I can manage around 35 birds at a time dependant on how far I have to go. Once at the car I bag them in potato sacks for the trip home..... But all the more reason not to have to make excess trips with the rest of the kit!!

Edited by Longchalk