Social media and Firearms

Peskyfoxs

Just seen someone has posted this on the BACS Facebook page

10329084_10205472820406319_4567584282509

Going on some of the posts I have seen on various hunting pages on FB I'm not surprised people get warnings, I saw one guy post he was going on holiday with the family and a few posts before showed all his guns laid out on his bed so surely any potential thief would treat this info as an open invite. (he had about 900 "friends" too, thats 900 people who now know when he is going away and the house is likely to be empty)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly, police also have access to facebook, etc - though to exactly what extent I can't be certain, whether they can access everything, or just the bits you choose to make public to all. However, when I had my FAC interview, on one of the pages of information in front of him the FEO had my FB profile photo (only used for that, so instantly recognisable). I commented on it, and he confirmed that they had 'had a look' at my profile, and my wife's too (she is a SGC holder)

Interestingly, police also have access to facebook, etc - though to exactly what extent I can't be certain, whether they can access everything, or just the bits you choose to make public to all. However, when I had my FAC interview, on one of the pages of information in front of him the FEO had my FB profile photo (only used for that, so instantly recognisable). I commented on it, and he confirmed that they had 'had a look' at my profile, and my wife's too (she is a SGC holder)

The access they have is the same as any other person, if your profile is locked along with photos then the front page is all they will see.

Different story if you are being investigated of course.

Yes my profile pic is of me at the British open. I also carry a gun slip out to my car everytime I go shooting aswell as my bag and slab of carts. So most of the neighbourhood no I have a gun. I've been to the shop before in my shooting waist coat. How far do we go to try and hide everything, why should we?

Yes there are security implications people I appreciate that. But there has been a massive spate of break ins in this area recently. Do I not go out, take my gun with me everywhere. As I said how far do we go?

There were lots of smutty comments :/ Happily though I've come off Facebook!! Actually funnily enough the following morning I was stopped by the Police and breathalysed!! Sadly I don't need to get hammered to act the fool :/ My kids didn't know whether to laugh or be mortified...

Edited by bigbird

Yes my profile pic is of me at the British open. I also carry a gun slip out to my car everytime I go shooting aswell as my bag and slab of carts. So most of the neighbourhood no I have a gun. I've been to the shop before in my shooting waist coat. How far do we go to try and hide everything, why should we?

Yes there are security implications people I appreciate that. But there has been a massive spate of break ins in this area recently. Do I not go out, take my gun with me everywhere. As I said how far do we go?

Well said, does everybody who goes on holiday and tell there friends or put it on face book have their selfs to blame if they get robbed or put they just brought a new car that they are asking for it to be stolen?

We as shooters need to stand united and not be afraid of people knowing our hobby/job like its a sordid secrete you don't see people who lets say play golf fear there clubs being stolen if they are on holiday or being judged( even tho sum of those trousers need judging lol) we are all law abiding citizens and should not have to worry bowt small minded people comenting on our hobby. Just my 2cents worth take it as you will

Just been asked to put pictures of 5 of people/things i love on facebook. My family, friends, and homewtown were going to be three of them, the other two was one of me fishing, the other of me with my best pal shooting, guns are open and safe but having second thoughts now!

Cheers

Aled

Well said, does everybody who goes on holiday and tell there friends or put it on face book have their selfs to blame if they get robbed or put they just brought a new car that they are asking for it to be stolen?

We as shooters need to stand united and not be afraid of people knowing our hobby/job like its a sordid secrete you don't see people who lets say play golf fear there clubs being stolen if they are on holiday or being judged( even tho sum of those trousers need judging lol) we are all law abiding citizens and should not have to worry bowt small minded people comenting on our hobby. Just my 2cents worth take it as you will

I agree, I have pics of me shooting on my profile but the one I saw seemed to have no privacy settings and I wouldn't announce to everyone I meet in the street that my house will be empty from X TO Y date and I have 12 guns in the house. I don't want my tv nicking never mind my guns !

You shouldn't hide the shooting hobby if it's important to you. If we censor ourselves the antis win unfortunately. The problem is that the problem seems to be the police more than the antis basically saying we're not allowed to post picture of guns on social media. So I wonder how shooting shows such as Fieldsports britain et al will fare in the future. Will they have to stop making shows due to concern to firearms security. In my case I have taken many people shooting, literally hundreds of people know I shoot and have guns, nobody broken into my house yet.

SO when the police stated that unannounced visits were to be based on "intelligence" what they meant was we're going to spend all day in a nice warm office at our desks drinking tea and looking at facebook..........

PRobably a lot of truth in the above my guess is filtering social media for images of guns looking for terrorists and finding lots of legit shooters someone with an axe to grind thought lets nab some of them too....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1262314/Facebook-girl-jailed-posing-machine-gun-mobsters-moll.html(not the article i was looking for.......)

The problem with Facebook and many other social network sites is there is no vetting system to make sure the idiots within society are excluded. I feel that nothing should be placed on these sites with regard to shooting or come to that many other country sports.And announcing that you will be out of the country for a period of time is like saying feel free to remove anything you like while I am away.it's not just guns.there have also been children and other vulnerable people pushed to suicide on there.and along with the paedophile cases that have happened do you really need it.I will not use these sites and hope in time people go back to the old ways of being sociable and communicate in person.atb

Edited by bostonmick

my profile is as private a facebook will allow it to be, so im not particulary worried about posting shooting related posts and pictures up.

i went to florida for 2 weeks earlier for this year and was posting pictures of what i was doing, while i was out there. was i worried about people knowing i wasnt at home? no.

anybody i'm friends with on facebook knew i was away anyway, so i didnt really care.

as a word of advice to anyone who WOULD be worried about it though, take your guns to your nearest RFD for the duration of your holiday if your worried. my local one charges £1.50 a week to store them. not much for peace of mind in the great scheme of things.