A sleepy vixen

ollie

Went out on Tuesday night for a spot of lamping with my mate. The first spot we came to is always a great place to call a fox; it is steep slope that overlooks many acres so the ideal place to call.

The wind was quite strong but it was coming from the area that the foxes normally come from so ideal...I thought. After a few minutes calling I scanned the lamp behind us and a fox was coming pretty quickly from the wrong side, so the wind was blowing towards it. Unfortunately the fox got our wind and sat & watched us right in line with a house so no shot was on.

We moved on the next spot about half a mile away which is another great place to call. After about 10 minutes calling a fox started making its way off the mountain towards us, but it was a long way away. When it got closer it started skirting around trying to get our wind through some bracken & whin bushes. It finally presented itself about a 150 yards away, through some bushes, I could make out its neck and head, so a well placed neck shot (.223 55gr Sako ballistic tips) put it down on the spot. A dog fox in quite poor condition, it was very skinny:

2F83F7BD-9A36-4D7C-9454-69642F37529F_zps

After this we went back to the spot of the first fox to see if it was still about. It was in the next field but it wasn't interested in the call. We stalked into about 100 yards and my mate missed it with his .22wmr. To be honest it could have been the wind that caught his bullet, but in hindsight he should have shot it with my .223.

We moved on and saw another one but he wasn't stopping.

The next permission is a lane which runs about a mile and the lane has a deep valley running beside it and we have permission on both sides of the valley. We had already saw 2 foxes on the way up the lane, both of them lampshy. On the way back down the lane we noticed a fox on the other side of the valley on the top field. At this point we went down into the field beside the lane and were getting lined up for the shot. Then lights appear coming up the lane and it is the farmer; although he knows we lamp it he is scared that someone is stealing his sheep, so my mate had to have a quick chat and tell him we are about to take a shot at the fox, when he heard this he soon turned and drove off. I thought that the fox would have been long gone, but when I turned the lamp back on it was still in the same spot. In fact, when we looked through the scope the fox was curled up. I let my mate take the shot with my .223 after he had missed the one earlier. This shot was approx 150-200 yard and a well placed shot dispatched the fox. A vixen in lovely condition and was probably heavier than the dog fox I had shot earlier.

0B227589-062D-40F1-B9C9-2713E07373C5_zps

6 foxes saw in total & 2 shot.

Guns: Howa .223 firing 55gr Sako ballistic tips & Ruger .22WMR firing 30gr Hornady ballistic tips.

Thanks for looking

Edited by ollie

Good nights work, that Dog was in poor shape. What call where you using?

My hand...it's the only call I use these days as I can vary the tone & pitch very easy. It is tough on the colder nights though as my mouth gets dry very easy.