Can someone talk me through the basics please?

fieldwanderer

I've always fancied a crack at wildfowling but I don't know much at all about it and it's on the back burner for now.

However, on one of my permissions is a little pond that attracts a few ducks each evening and sometimes the geese come for a look too. I don't have permission to shoot them on that permission but the neighbouring field is another permission and the land owner's happy for me to shoot whatever I like (including trespassers and a keeper who won't stay off his land!).

So, does the steel law come into it as I'm not shooting over water (around 200yds away) but they're on the way to/from it?

Minimum shot sizes and loads, legally or just ideally (12 bore)?

Obviously I'll do my homework too especially regarding I.d. but I know you guys to be a wealth of knowledge so hoped you could point me in the right direction please?

Yes, you will require a non toxic load irrespective of where you shoot wildfowl in England and Wales.

I've always fancied a crack at wildfowling but I don't know much at all about it and it's on the back burner for now.

However, on one of my permissions is a little pond that attracts a few ducks each evening and sometimes the geese come for a look too. I don't have permission to shoot them on that permission but the neighbouring field is another permission and the land owner's happy for me to shoot whatever I like (including trespassers and a keeper who won't stay off his land!).

So, does the steel law come into it as I'm not shooting over water (around 200yds away) but they're on the way to/from it?

Minimum shot sizes and loads, legally or just ideally (12 bore)?

Obviously I'll do my homework too especially regarding I.d. but I know you guys to be a wealth of knowledge so hoped you could point me in the right direction please?