.17 Fireball

steve_b_wales

It is a glorified wildcat.

I have only ever had limited use of one on a range, and it never tempted me to buy one.

Every calibre has a use, but I somehow consider this ones use as relatively limited, taking into account everything else available in the market place.

I'm sure it will be great fun for the first 5 minutes, but I can't help thinking the novelty may quickly dissipate.

Good luck, I would love to hear your opinions of it in the fullness of time should you ever go this route.

:good:

It is a glorified wildcat.

I have only ever had limited use of one on a range, and it never tempted me to buy one.

Every calibre has a use, but I somehow consider this ones use as relatively limited, taking into account everything else available in the market place.

I'm sure it will be great fun for the first 5 minutes, but I can't help thinking the novelty may quickly dissipate.

Good luck, I would love to hear your opinions of it in the fullness of time should you ever go this route.

:good:

Just musing with thoughts of 'unusual' calibers at the moment. I'm going to put in for something bigger than my .308, but wanted something in between my .22 Hornet and .243.

As with all of the 17's, the first question is what are you using it for. If you don't already know the answer, then it isn't the gun for you.

The fireball is a fun little gun, but it is in a limited niche. It isn't quite big enough to be a dedicated fox gun, but is verging on too much oomph for small vermin. If you want a tiny bolt 17, then this is the one.

Rick

I did consider changing from 17 Rem to 17 Fireball and even went as far as getting a chambering reamer, but with Remington seemingly dropping the Fireball it looks like brass will be tricky to find. Theoretically you can form it from 221 Fireball, but it seems like a lot of grief for not much return. The 17 Hornet might be a better option.

As with all of the 17's, the first question is what are you using it for. If you don't already know the answer, then it isn't the gun for you.

The fireball is a fun little gun, but it is in a limited niche. It isn't quite big enough to be a dedicated fox gun, but is verging on too much oomph for small vermin. If you want a tiny bolt 17, then this is the one.

Rick

It would be used for long range vermin -Crows, Magpies etc. I could go for the .17 Hornet, but would like something a bit different. The .17 Remington is another one I am considering.

Then in that case it just comes down to range. For me, the hornet is great if you're looking at 200 yards and want a light duty walking gun or short truck gun. For me, most of my fields give opportunities under 200 yards most of the time. I'm not laying up for hours scanning a hillside, rather I'm either walking the fields or driving around. In that case the hornet is perfect. The fireball would work well too in those cases for a little more oomph and bang. The 17 rem a little more yet. If your plan is more laying up and scanning for a bit longer ranges, then I'd suggest the 17 rem and bumping up to 30's. The bigger bullets make a big difference when it comes to BC (the BC on the 20's is awful, but under 200 yards you don't care really) and will be a bit more predictable. Then again, if I were looking for a small gun to lay up with I'd probably be looking at the 204 in the first place.

thanks

rick