Handmade Knives

marshy pete

Hi, I aren't sure whether this is the right section to ask so please say if it's not..also sorry for the long post.

My friend is a blacksmith/artist who has done many commissioned works on stately homes, museum replicas and repairs and other bespoke pieces. He usually

makes gates/balconies/stairwells and the like but throughout his career has made some exceptional smaller pieces such as knives as gifts in the past.

He has recently became quite seriously ill and is no longer able to complete his bigger projects due to him being unable to do any heavy work or work too longer hours in one sitting so is thinking of making a few one off knives or even bespoke knives to earn a little money and fill his day's

At the moment we are just trying to judge interest, he won't even be starting to leave his house before Christmas probably so this is a long term project for him to look forward too, he does everything from scratch starting with a lump of steel (he can add other metals for a personnel touch), makes handles from a material of choice (my one will have a bog oak one from my own land:))and completes everything in house.

Anyways, we are just trying to gauge interest and would love to hear any other comments, no orders are being taken as at present, just after some input, also the project is wholly depend on his health so may not come off at all

Many thanks if you made it this far through my scrambly post, thanks again for reading

Peter

so, as I said before most of his previous pieces have been as gifts so he doesn't have them, however i got a few pics today

The first is made with a blend of high grade stainless and metrorite iron (really is certified at 98%)

He forge welded them together and used the layering technique to form the steel for the blade, the hilt is formed from an old penny and the antler handle curved to fit a right hander perfectly.

This isn't made from cutting out of a blank and uses hardly any modern equipment, its heated and forge welded, hammered out and folded all by hand, a truly one off blade

011.jpg

015.jpg

post-64342-0-59037000-1416934422_thumb.jpg