Strange situation

fieldwanderer

I'm going out decoying tomorrow, weather permitting, but my reconnaissance today found a decent flight line down the side of a wood alongside a field of rape that's getting hit pretty hard BUT, they're only heading East to West which is the same direction as the wind.

Only using shells and a couple of bouncers for the pattern, How do I set the decoys out for that!?

I don't think I've ever come across this before, to be honest I can't see it working very well having to turn the pigeons around to get them into a normal pattern. However, the farmer assures me there's "thousands" on his rape and this flight line is definitely there (or at least today).

I'm going out decoying tomorrow, weather permitting, but my reconnaissance today found a decent flight line down the side of a wood alongside a field of rape that's getting hit pretty hard BUT, they're only heading East to West which is the same direction as the wind.

Only using shells and a couple of bouncers for the pattern, How do I set the decoys out for that!?

I don't think I've ever come across this before, to be honest I can't see it working very well having to turn the pigeons around to get them into a normal pattern. However, the farmer assures me there's "thousands" on his rape and this flight line is definitely there (or at least today).

Do you mean they will be coming over your head?

If so then I have put my pattern a good distance away from me 60/70+ yards and this gave an area for them to drop into...

Too close and they wont have the room to drop in....

Then shoot them up the ****

Good luck

TEH

Footpath each end of the field, I suppose I could put the hide out in the field but, with having to turn them around, I can't see it working well; too much chance of getting spotted far too soon

If your hide is ok, you shouldn't be spotted. Set up so that you can shoot them how you want them. If this is not possible, then try something else. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Waste of time! Arrived at 08:00 to see a group of about 20 use the flight line so got everything set out (despite the rain) and sat there until 14:00. One landed way out past the decoys (~150yds) and I saw a grand total of 7 pigeons including that one, didn't fire a single shot!

So much for the thousands that were meant to be there (closing the gate after the horse bolted if you ask me). This guy's always been a pain for exaggerating but when it's cold and raining it really is difficult to see the funny side!

Thanks for the suggestions guys, may always help another time.

Waste of time! Arrived at 08:00 to see a group of about 20 use the flight line so got everything set out (despite the rain) and sat there until 14:00. One landed way out past the decoys (~150yds) and I saw a grand total of 7 pigeons including that one, didn't fire a single shot!

So much for the thousands that were meant to be there (closing the gate after the horse bolted if you ask me). This guy's always been a pain for exaggerating but when it's cold and raining it really is difficult to see the funny side!

Thanks for the suggestions guys, may always help another time.

It just shows that you must do your own recconaissance. Edited by JDog

It just shows that you must do your own recconaissance.

I did do, the day before - not thousands but enough to make a day of it :/

That's pigeon shooting for you. There yesterday, but not today. There is so much food options around at the moment. They are not driven to feed any particular place.

I think that's closer to the truth, I was just a bit bitter as the guy stopped to have a word as I was leaving, still swearing blind there were thousands on there :whistling:

I did do, the day before - not thousands but enough to make a day of it :/

I think that's closer to the truth, I was just a bit bitter as the guy stopped to have a word as I was leaving, still swearing blind there were thousands on there :whistling:

One day of recon is not always enough.