Medical files

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" warrantless home inspections"? Wasn't this part covered in great detail recently from a slightly different angle? I don't have a problem with it if it makes an impact on gun crime apart from the privacy invasion and the fact that it won't make a big difference as most crimes are using illegally held weapons anyway, so this seems little more than another knee jerk reaction to keep the public happy?

Northumbria advised my doctor about my last renewal,as indeed had I.No issue to me except that for security,the less people that know I have guns FAC/SGC the better and I think NHS records are as watertight as a sieve!

Potentially you are right about the NHS records, they will be selling to private companies, in relation to treatment you may need, but what happens to the records then, will the private company be selling them on??? As you say the less people that know the better.

7 of the 8 arrested for terrorism in July 07 were medics, many working for the NHS (remember Glasgow airport). Last month a medic was arrested returning to the uk, believed to be returning from terrorist training camps. Large numbers of foreign nurses and doctors fill roles within the UK (the government has only just started to address the problem of some of them speaking no English!)

I don't mind the NHS having to inform the police if I happen to turn out to be a lunatic but they should do this for everyone so that decisions can be made as to whether I should be relieved of my guns/ cars/ children/pilots licence, etc.

I don't see why the NHS need to be aware of my gun ownership, the fact I'm bonkers should be passed to the police regardless for them to check their records and deal with, watch or ignore me accordingly.

Check with BASC but this I think was thrown out and rejected. Hence some forces (Durham) putting up medical firms with no legal basis.

it says on the form Durham sent out it says --there is no legal requirement to fill in the medical however completion may expedite the application (that means quicken)

--- so does paying £38 get you to the front of the queue, I don't know

by volunteering for the sceme you get a chit in your medical notes letting the dr know you have an fac and to contact the police if they have concerns , I see no harm in this as if you are not fit to hold, you should not have a gun and if you don't report your not fit then someone else should, I don't see it as an infringement as holding an FAC comes with a number of requirements and obligations

but going off my personnel experience, I come under Durham as my licenseing authority it now takes a very long time to get a renewal and that's after having guns for years without as much as a speeding ticket going against me I had my visit 5 weeks ago and check the mail everyday

I put in my FAC for re-newel on the 7th of July so now on day 141 and counting.

may start up a thread to see who hold the record for waiting the longest

Edited by psycho

it says on the form Durham sent out it says --there is no legal requirement to fill in the medical however completion may expedite the application (that means quicken)

--- so does paying £38 get you to the front of the queue, I don't know

by volunteering for the sceme you get a chit in your medical notes letting the dr know you have an fac and to contact the police if they have concerns , I see no harm in this as if you are not fit to hold you should not have a gun

but going off my personnel experience it now takes a very long time to get a renewal and that's after having guns for years without as much as a speeding ticket going against me I had my visit 5 weeks ago and chech the mail everyday

I put in my FAC for re-newel on the 7th of July so now on day 141 and counting.

may start up a thread to see who hold the record for waiting the longest

When do your certs expire?

When do your certs expire?

very shortly will be ringing up for a section 7 next week

one of my mates put in for his in may and is now on a section 7 , He has been for the last 2-3 months so he can hold his rifle but cant buy ammo

or buy or sell he has had a visit last week so it is progressing I had my visit before his

on the BASC website it says 10 weeks should be reasonable time for a re-newel page 2

http://basc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2014/10/Forms-Guidance-2014.pdf

I wish

Edited by psycho

I've been in Durham constabulary area for 30 yrs on and off and they have always been a problem for shooters. Dont get me wrong, the visiting officers are often good blokes but there has always been something rotten in Aykley heads (HQ) when it comes to dealing with FAC/SGC holders.

I just burned an old file of mine, half a foot thick of letters I've exchanged over the years trying to stop them making up their own laws or bending the English language so that real laws fit their view of what the politicians "really meant".

One of ACPOs biggest rotters came from their ranks and I really think it's endemic there. I put my guns into a dealer last time because of delay and on one occasion had my FAC back with a 9mm pistol I owned completely missing from it. Imagine what they would say if I bought a gun and forgot to put it on my FAC.

I could go on all night about Durham oooooh!

very shortly will be ringing up for a section 7 next week

one of my mates put in for his in may and is now on a section 7 , He has been for the last 2-3 months so he can hold his rifle but cant buy ammo

or buy or sell he has had a visit last week so it is progressing I had my visit before his

on the BASC website it says 10 weeks should be reasonable time for a re-newel page 2

http://basc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2014/10/Forms-Guidance-2014.pdf

I wish

Assume BASC etc are aware.

Assume BASC etc are aware.

Dave(BASC) knows.

Unless we contact our shooting organisation and pressure them and don't sit on our bottoms.

Done it.

7 of the 8 arrested for terrorism in July 07 were medics, many working for the NHS (remember Glasgow airport). Last month a medic was arrested returning to the uk, believed to be returning from terrorist training camps. Large numbers of foreign nurses and doctors fill roles within the UK (the government has only just started to address the problem of some of them speaking no English!)

I don't mind the NHS having to inform the police if I happen to turn out to be a lunatic but they should do this for everyone so that decisions can be made as to whether I should be relieved of my guns/ cars/ children/pilots licence, etc.

I don't see why the NHS need to be aware of my gun ownership, the fact I'm bonkers should be passed to the police regardless for them to check their records and deal with, watch or ignore me accordingly.

Agree.

Dear All,

I see there is some concern over the security of medical records, but the storage of your medical records is covered under the Data Protection Act, failure to comply with which could lead to a prison sentence.

The NHS also have a strict code of practice on confidentiality.

However, if any of you have specific concerns let me know and I will be happy to look into it for you

David

Dear All,

I see there is some concern over the security of medical records, but the storage of your medical records is covered under the Data Protection Act, failure to comply with which could lead to a prison sentence.

However, if any of you have specific concerns let me know and I will be happy to look into it for you

David

No disrepect to David or BASC but a detailed perusal of this website is necessary https://medconfidential.org/

Unfortunately the sort of person that I don't want knowing that I'm a gun owner isn't going to be too worried about the Data Protection Act. To randomly name a few: Amnesty international, all the anti-hunting charities, the national bank of Iran, Sinn Fein, my old school, etc are all governed by the Data Protection Act. I would be equally displeased to find they had on file that I am a gun owner!

Too add to this, most GP's are self employed and many practices are limited companies. Are we to trust that they all have secure systems?

Furthermore, anyone can buy or set up a practice. Dozens of sham lawyers and law firms are shut down each year and a quick search of the news/ internet shows that the General Medical Council experiences the same problems.

Again, the fact I have firearms is need to know. The system would work equally well if the NHS reported all mental concerns to the police for them to cross reference with the register therefore the NHS do not need to know. For context, the police don't allow safes to be in view to people you've allowed into your own front room and at least I know none of my visitors are here on EU right to work permits!

My concerns appear not to be unique after reading the posts of others and this article

"You may or may not be worried about that information becoming widely available across the NHS. It’s worth remembering that Bilal Abdullah, a doctor working in the NHS, was jailed for a minimum of 32 years for his part in the 2007 glasgow airport bombing and an earlier bombing in London. Sabeel Ahmed, brother of the terrorist who died of his burns, was another NHS doctor. He was jailed for 18 months in 2008 for failing to disclose information about the attack to the police. Last year he was named in India as being behind a recruiting campaign for an islamic terror group — which he denies. One of the four people arrested in London earlier this month was a would-be medical student. In short, the NHS may not be the safe repository of firearms data that it first appears."
taken from:

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/blogs/unannounced-police-visits-wrong-41624?utm_campaign=141126-26-11-2014&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

Dear All,

David

NHS can be fined up to 500,000 for each breach of confidential information under the information governance policy