Not sure what to do now

michufc

Hi to all I have had the go ahead for making a sort of min shoot for me and my friend and also for my family to learn about nature and animals. I have been shooting up there for over 5 years now and been a pritty good job for the pest control. So I have started to put feeders out and started to make plans for the duck pond well today I went up to check the feeders with my spaniel and I could see a vehicle half way up next to the woods. As I started to walk up there it started coming down the hill and the man stopped next to me and the vehicle had 4 people in. Now the man introduced himself to me and said he had permission to shoot and the others said nothing at all a bit frosty I would say so I wished him the best and he went on his way. So I went to talk to the farmer and he said yes he has permission he doesn't no the others in the vehicle he gave him permission around 9 years ago and he hardly ever comes up but mainly goes after foxes. Now my issue is i don't want to invest my money and time into it for others to benifit who haven't put any effort into it. Especially as I got such a frosty reception I am confused on what to do for the best as I love it up there

I find it really odd as I have never seen him before in 5 years and I mentioned I was starting to put feeders out and he didn't seem bothered at all he said he had seen them but I was hoping for a bit more of a response from him stating what sort of things he was after ie foxes or maybe he was interested and wanted to help but knowing my luck he will be up there after I get it established with a load of mates reaping the reward so to speak so confused

You'd be gutted if this team turned up out of the blue and started hammering your pond and game. If he hardly ever comes up, ask the farmer to swap his perm to foxes only or give him his marching orders - that is, assuming the farmer is happy with everything you're doing. Either that or walk away.

These situations can be a real pain, you improve the shooting and someone else, who has probably not been along for along time as he'd already shot everything, turns up and reaps the rewards you have worked for. Not much you can do, you have asked the farmer and he says he has permission, could be an old mate of his for all you know. I have a bit of ground that has a few Muntjac on it, another chap, a friend of the landowner, shoots the fox's and I know for sure he shoots the deer at night, who ever puts salt licks out for fox's. I mentioned it to the landowner, explaining that it was an offence to shoot deer at night, the farmers answer was, ' He's a blxxdy good tractor driver and he won't be shooting many'.

You get real mad with all the intension of catching the other person out but mostly you realise its just not worth the hassle and you would be the one who would probably loose out in the end.

It's a sensitive one he is not a friend of the farmer but I got shafted out of permission when I was growing up by a so called friend my permission was for all vermin I can control but absolutely no game I was 18 at the time. We agreed and that was fine not a problem at all. I then introduced him to a friend of mine and he got permission on the same understanding but he was only allowed with me which for a while was fine no problem but soon he was going up on his own then I had a phone call from the farmer to go and see him so I went straight away and the farmer handed me a duck and said what's this all about and I said I don't no why. Well the other lad said that I had shot it to which I said well I hadn't because we agreed not to shoot game and I had been at work which I had proof of it. The farmer said he had lost trust in me and I am no longer allowed to shoot on his land. Which it let to me and the other lad having a altercation.

I don't want to be in the same sort of boat and loose my permission but I think I might explain my point of view and I think asking him if he could get him to stick to pest control and see how I get on fingers crossed

Just reflecting on the conversation with my farmer this chap from today is the only other with permission as the other guy I did meet years ago (who by the way was another gent and showing me where he had put traps and let me have a go with his rimfire) has sadly passed away in a car accident.

I think asking to swap his perm to just vermin might be the way forward.