Multi shot air pistol?

Steve72

Hi, My father-in-law, has declared war on the mice in his aviaries. He is using a crossman air rifle. He has mentioned to me that it would be easier if he had a multi shot pistol because he is in confined space. With Xmas approaching I would like to treat him.

What would you guys recomend entry level and budget. Last question would a BB at a range of six feet be adequate or am I best with pellets.

Apologies if suggesting bb's is unsuitable but I have no experience with pistols. Cheers

HAs he got an FAC?

9mm shot pistol (rimfire would be better)

https://www.cityoflondon.police.uk/advice-and-support/licensing-and-permits/firearms-licensing/Pages/Exceptions.aspx

Shot Pistols

People who need shot pistols in .410 or 9mm rim-fire for shooting rats and other vermin in confined spaces can buy, possess and sell them if they have a police firearm certificate which allows them to do so. The certificate must specify that the shot pistol is only to be used for shooting vermin.

There aren't really any suitable multi-shot pistols for ratting as most that are multi-shot will push about 2ft lbs which just isn't enough. Webley Alecto will push 5.5ftlbs on 3 pumps but single shot, plus you wont have any recoil as with the HW 45 which will also push about 5.5 ftlbs but is a springer. Also if he gets a later model Alecto he can screw on a moderator with a 1/2 inch unf adapter so he isn't bothering the neighbors or the birds.

Downside is the cost of the Alecto so one of the cheaper Crosmans may be more suitable. A Rat Catcher might be suitable as well as its small, light and cheap but again single shot

Don't shoot me down too quickly but at 6 feet I would think any co2 knocking out 2ftlbs would do nicely on mice, like the Beretta or whatever. You only need 4 to knock off a rabbit so why won't 2 kill a mouse humanly.

If all the 50+ yard head shot all day .177 guys are to be believed then 2 ft lbs are practically over powered in comparrison.

An hw45 is very nice though and any excuse to acquire one should be sought out.

I had an xb once, vtwin man me. Ducatis, Aprilias, Guzzis and then the sv's. There was two Yam trx years ago.

That CBR has to many cylinders lol.

Yes, I get very close. A rabbit warren on a bank side under mature hawthorn and knettle. I cut a path I can take a step at a time through, usually a rabbit hops out a hole a few yards away. With face covered it takes ages to bring to bear and often get busted.

Not been for a while as the numbers were down.

Very challenging and blooming hard! Must be nuts. I practice for a week with it first and only go when a golf ball size target can be hit every time at ten or so yards.

A mouse in a shed is a sinch, done it!

U.

Pete made me do it!!

sixfox008.jpg

What's the bike Pete?

U.

Nice,

That's the thing U, people will often get all upset over certain things - however unless the full situation is known, it's hard to pass judgement and to know you have stalked up to close enough for a clean kill with a handgun I think it is very admirable. I certainly don't have that sort of patience in a woodland where noises are all too easy to make.

A mouse takes very little to kill it at close range. I have bopped them cleanly with one pump of a Sheridan Bluestreak at under 5 yards.

A lead pellet in the noggin will cleanly dispatch it. I would have no hesitation in using my S&W 586 revolver indoors on a mouse at up to say 10 feet.

An air pistol is a tool, like any other that we may use, it can be used for pest control, in certain circumstances, and on certain quarry.

Having seen various pictures and posts by Underdog, they show that his fieldcraft is absolutely top-class.

I think if anyone did have issues, it would be with the possibility that less capable people might see it and think "Well, he does it, so it's ok for me to do it too".

I'll finish by saying this : nice going, Underdog. Once again, showing just how important patience and skill are.