Night vision

Shooterluke

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No the non Lipo model has a lead acid battery, like one you find in a mobility scooter. IE damned heavy. The Lipo model has a Lithium Polymer battery that Nite Site said wil damage the camera unit when people started using them on the NS units. People realised that a good quality Lipo battery has a regulator system in it which acts like a fuse anwyway so what Nite site were saying was pure gonads. We bought a £35 battery (which was basically a £15 battery but from a seller in High Wycombe not Kowloon). Worked a treat with the NS50 and then when we sold the NS50 we kept the Lipo battery as a spare for the NE500).

The Nite Site started selling the NS units with a Lipo battery but charging £80 more when the batteries actually cost the same or less! Funny that isn't it?

If you are thinking of buying new remember that they have recently changed models so any NS50 units should come with a healthy discount. Or consider buying a Night Eye NE500 (better than an NS200 but for £20 less than an NS50 or whatever they call the bottom model these days, Wolf I think) or an NVUK piece of kit for a whole load of money less like about £160 all in (NVUK kits cost about £120 but you have to buy a separate IR torch, which is also sold buy someone on the NVUK facebook page for £20 or so)!

Edited by secretagentmole

I cannot find a brand new ns50 anywhere! I can only find the nitesite viper, are these any good? Looking at getting one?

Ok thanks I'll get one then,

many thanks

Alex

Do not buy a Nite Site.

They are overpriced and under specced!

Look at this one!

http://www.night-eye500.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=29

Much better, I know I have owned both an NS and an NE!

The NVUK kit is a lot cheaper and fro reports I have seen, just as good!

Thanks for the heads up, I only want the best that I can afford and if the night eye is much better than the nite site viper and is £20 cheaper I can't complain, however the night eye does look abit more tatty and does it also come with the different sizes scope clamp and rubber hose thing that the camera attaches to?

The Night Eye may look a little home made to you, but you will be watching the bunnies!

They do make different scope mounts for various sized scope tubes.

Go on Facebook and look for NVUK if you want to make your own. There are also a few users on there who will build you a NV (night vision) kit!

We really are trying to save you money!

With a little know how you can build something similar to the nite site which will give you comparable ranges. But, you'll need a shed and a few tools and a bit of basic electrical knowledge.

Take it a few steps further and you can build something very sophisticated indeed, my current unit out performs every other digital add on on the market. It's through eye, has a self contained battery and circuit protection, built in IR driver and a 66mm fully adjustable illuminator that weighs less than 200g.

But it took two years, a shed full of tools, endless nights of reading up on electrical circuits, countless cock ups, and a box full of 'spares', so ultimately it probably cost me near 2k to achieve!

Sometimes of the shelf is a great place to start until you have the time, patience and cash to start experimenting. Nite Site may not be cheap, but I've looked inside and it's pretty well constructed. My old ns200 survived a fall of the top of a defender with a rifle landing on top. Not many home brew kits can boast the same, I've seen plenty and the insides are often a rats nest of wires and hot melt lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Right just an update I have just put my orders in for a kit from nvuk (Facebook group) really helpful guys on the page should be ready for around New Years, cost me £250 for the upgraded camera and upgraded dvr, which is still over £150 saved for something just as good maybe even better than the nite sight, was told it will see 150yards with the t38 torch and over 250yards with a better torch but I don't need then extreme ranges. I had to buy my own torch but I just ordered one off of nvuk as well it's a t38 apparently the same performance wise and everything else as the t20 just in a better quality outer case for the same price £47, so in total £300 inc delivery for it so saved £130-£150 for the same quality (so if been told). All the reviews look pretty good only time will tell I will find out after new year when it's complete.

You'll enjoy getting out with your NV unit. I built up my own from a collection of parts I was advised on getting quite simply for around £110 and have used it a lot since April. Like all new equipment, you have to learn how to get the best from it and in this case, how to use it in the dark. Range estimation can be an issue but using a .177 pcp takes care of that from about 15 to 40 yards when zeroed at 37 yards for me. I've found that I can go out and fairly comfortably get what rabbits I want, there's always plenty of glowing eyes to go after at night... :good:

With a little know how...........

Mick, if you wouldn't mind helping me out? Could you pm me some of the parts and/or spec list for your kit please?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom join nvuk on Facebook they will give you all the help you need with building your own nvuk they are very helpful and are glad to help :)