Kennel heating

Cookie69

I don't, and never have had, heating the the kennel. If the dogs are wet at the end of a day they get equafleeces on and are dry by the time we get home.

In cold weather they get fed a lot more, and I sometimes use shredded paper as an insulating bedding for them in the depths of winter. Never had any problems.

Hi Paul hope cookie is doing well now matey would make sure you kennel is well insulated as that keeps the costs down massively I have a flat oil filled rad in my newer kennel and I fitted I room stat to it and that way it gives you better control of the heat cookie won't need to much heat anyway is it only when it's freezing and he's wet

Thanks guys

His kennel is ply lined with rock wool insulation, to be honest I'm sure he will be fine but my mrs is soft

And thinks I'm cruel ?????? (-:

Hi Mike

Yes he is doing well thanks for asking

To my mind you will be doing him no favours by heating the kennel , same as us , if you sit in a warm house the go outside in the same clothes you will instantly feel cold, a dog will grow a far better coat to combat coldness if left to its own devices

I don't, and never have had, heating the the kennel. If the dogs are wet at the end of a day they get equafleeces on and are dry by the time we get home.

In cold weather they get fed a lot more, and I sometimes use shredded paper as an insulating bedding for them in the depths of winter. Never had any problems.

Totally agree with WGD on this one.

Whilst on a fowling holiday staying at the Wool Pack in Long Sutton very many years ago the landlady, wash guide Frank Harrison's wife, stuck her head into the door of the main room that slept 6 fowlers and asked if anyone was cold? (It was about -5C outside). One bloke said he had been a bit chilly the night before and she replied "OK, I'll chuck in another dog"!

Maybe that's the answer - get another dog.

Totally agree with WGD on this one.

Whilst on a fowling holiday staying at the Wool Pack in Long Sutton very many years ago the landlady, wash guide Frank Harrison's wife, stuck her head into the door of the main room that slept 6 fowlers and asked if anyone was cold? (It was about -5C outside). One bloke said he had been a bit chilly the night before and she replied "OK, I'll chuck in another dog"!

Maybe that's the answer - get another dog.

That might not be a bad idea (-:

Must admit my dogs are in insulated tinber sleeping boxes and never seem to take any hurt, but i'm building a proper kennel block next year and was thinking of putting underfloor heating in the sleeping compartment. The area i'm moving too is a lot colder and higher than where i am now

Not for normal use unless very cold -5's plus or after a shoot, was thinking of laying a slab 9" above the floor (ie block hieght) layer of insulation probably electric undefloor heating and concrete on top (possibly tiled?) more to just take the chill of the slab but i dinae want to end up driving the dogs out to sleep in the run as too hot?

Also would the insulated concrete slab/tiles be too hard for dogs to sleep on? Would they get kennel sores?

Well I am a Sparkie the key to electric floor heating is to over insulate the floor and to keep the heating on low for longer periods for example if it's cold enough that is say December is really cold one it is more effieciant to leave it on and keep a low even temp through the slab than turning it off letting the slab go freezing cold the putting it back on as it will take a while to warm through. I love building kennels and improving on the next