young Nick's first trip out on the foreshore with A great result

washwildfowler

I had a phone call a couple of weeks back by another fowler in south lincs club , who asked if i would be able to help out with taking a young lad out for his first trip out onto the shore .

As normal i said i would help out , i asked a few questions of what Experience he has and if he knew what quarry he can and can't shoot , well it all came good , the permit was sorted for yesterday Monday ..

We arranged for both Nick and Kev to meet at my house for 5 am ... just before 5 they arrived and Kev introduced us to each other, it was just a short journey to our local marsh , we had a bit of banter in the truck for 20 minutes and kitted up and headed out across the marsh , kev dropped off to his spot , myself and nick carried on out to a spot that has been kind to myself and my old mate Phil over the last few weeks with a few pinks in the bag for both of us ..

We had just got there and i told nick to load up as i heard the geese on the move in the dark , within second they could be heard very close , there was just enough light for us to see them but heading wide of us , i gave a call then they called back , gave another whistle this time and sure enough they turned and headed straight for nick , ok nick this is your chance , he pulled onto them and one fell for one shot , my dog was away for his prize , i heard i got one , i got one , well done mate i said ,..

After the excitment of his first pink , i got him settled in again for hopefully another chance , which sadly did not happen as 90% of the pinks came through wide of us also to high . he did manage a couple of shots at 2 golden eye but it was not to be for the young lad .

Morning flight over we headed back to kev and off for some breakfast at the cafe :good: .after breakfast we had a ride around to show nick the area also the geese feeding on the fields ..

It was soon time for night flight this time i wanted to take them both out on my favourite marsh,so we headed there . when we got there nick could not believe at the amount of wildfowl that was on the reserve :drool: .. we got kitted up and headed out to where i wanted to take them ....when we got there kev stayed in his spot me and nick went just a little way more ..

I put nick on the side of the creek as there was not much cover for the both of us and the dog, so i sat back off the creek in some crab grass .. it was very slow at first and i had come to the conclusion that i had taken them to the wrong place as i could see a lot of fowl moving well over the other side of the marsh..

After a few minutes my mind was put to rest as nick spotted 2 mallard heading in our direction , they went just to the left of him 2 shots but they carried on .. soon after there was a great amount of fowl on the move , 2 wigeon coming from the right heading away , i whistled and they changed course and straight at nick with a cracking right and left for nick .. within seconds 2 mallard passed wide heading to kev just a single shot and a get on for the dog from kev 1 in the bag for him ..

Some greys come over the seas wall but it was not to be for nick as they headed straight out , out of the blue a single mallard on the end of is barrel 3 shots and away he went , :lol: nick was not impressed with himself , the light was fading fast , another 2 mallard passed wide heading to kev 2 shots but nothing ..

I was just about to call time when nick called 2 mallard in , and a very impressive right and left from the young man it was ... :good:

With the light showing it's last bit , we called it a flight and headed to kev and then all 3 of us headed back to the sea wall with plenty of smiles and banter from young nick on the way off ...

I have to say it was a absolute pleasure taking nick out , he was a very knowledgeable lad on his quarry and most important gun safety , he asked all the right questions and has the making of a great wildfowler .

He has already asked when are we going again :lol: ..

Happy Days

20141124_070334.jpg

20141124_074932_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20141124_175606.jpg

Edited by washwildfowler

Well done mate , I bet thats a new fowler truly hooked , he just has to grow into those waders now :lol:

Again you were selfless putting him in the best spot while you sat back , just as you did with me , top man :good:

I did not take my gun on both flights fenboy, it was all about getting nick under stuff for him to try and get his first foreshore goose which paid off lady luck was on our side i guess ..

I always like to give new members the best chance or people who i take out on a day permit . After all it's all about them and there day .. just like i did for you fenboy ..