17hmr

roadkill

Just been to look at my first 17hmr and really like the look of one but when I sent the picture to my shooting buddy he said that the long barrels were rubbish and people couldn't give them away.

So my question to you guys is

Which is better the long or short barrel and reasons , as I want to get it right first time and not have to buy again.

Cheers jamie

Longer barrels are not 'rubbish' but then how long is long? I believe all powder is burnt by about 9-10 inches so the rest comes down to accuracy, velocity, practicality and legality. I have a 18.5" barrel which I use in all manner of situations and it is very accurate and not too long with a mod on - never found it a pain.

One of the magazines' did a quick analysis of barrel length vs velocity (possibly accuracy too) of an HMR shortened successively. There was an expected drop in velocity as the barrel shortened but I don't think it reached as much as 200FPS more like about 150FPS with the shortest barrel. That is a few tens of FtLb though. If I find the article I'll reference it. The most 'chop' for less 'drop' seemed to be in the 17"-19" range from memory. I read this only after I'd bought the gun and asked some opinions - the magazine results supported a choice I was already happy with and the shooting supports this too.

Fister - was it your article/contribution?

Sounds like your friends a bit over the top - I am sure they do sell otherwise they wouldn't make them or sell them...

I have a Marlin 917VSF which is a heavy 22inch fluted stainless steel barrel... it's not the lightest gun and a bit long to throw around shooting from a car, but it's lovely to shoot and very accurate.

Sounds like your friends a bit over the top - I am sure they do sell otherwise they wouldn't make them or sell them...

I have a Marlin 917VSF which is a heavy 22inch fluted stainless steel barrel... it's not the lightest gun and a bit long to throw around shooting from a car, but it's lovely to shoot and very accurate.

he can be set in his ways but means well that's why I posted here to see what the general opinion was, I really like these two rifles

hi roadkill

i have both a 22lr cz sillhouette which is 26 inch with silencer and appears to be similar to the one with the tyrolean stock on the pic. i also have a 16 inch .17hmr cz 455 and find them equally accurate. i know some people favour shorter barrel length for using out of vehicle. i use both mine out of the vehicle and fixed position. i find the limitations in barrel length minimal for my needs, yes i may have to manouvre vehicle position sometimes but them situations are applicable to all rifles. i adjust which side i am shooting out of for safety and vehicle adjustment hope this helps any

I have just bought an Anschutz 1517 and in the end went for the 18 rather than the 14 inch barrel get a little more power with the longer barrel and better powder burn

also I find a longer barrel makes for better accuracy due to the bit extra weight, as I will never shoot from a vehicle made the choice better for me

this thread helped my choice

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/297339-anchutz-1517-17hmr-which-barral/?hl=1517

Edited by psycho

Bullberry Barrel Length vs. Velocity DATA
22 inch = 2517 fps, 103 fps spread
21 inch = 2523 fps, 66 fps spread
20 inch = 2515 fps, 86 fps spread
19 inch = 2538 fps, 83 fps spread
18 inch = 2522 fps, 41 fps spread
17 inch = 2505 fps, 43 fps spread
16 inch = 2492 fps, 53 fps spread
15 inch = 2477 fps, 27 fps spread
14 inch = 2432 fps, 70 fps spread
13 inch = 2419 fps, 32 fps spread
12 inch = 2387 fps, 57 fps spread
11 inch = 2338 fps, 45 fps spread
10 inch = 2276 fps, 45 fps spread

colin

I had a 15" HMR barrel on my Sako Quad - which eventually got shot out after 8000 rounds through it. I now have a 16" barrel on it and you know how it shoots - but equally importantly, you know how easy it is to maneuver in my ikkle hairdressers 4WD. :lol:

I have used longer barreled HMR's and find them cumbersome, even on foot - and anything with a protruding magazine where I might rest it on a gate, sticks....or door mirror... :no: is an unwanted obstruction.

The Quad you tried has a five round mag that is flush with the base of the stock. . Last point while dragging down the competition is that the errkin gurt bolt handle on an Annie thumbhole stock keeps getting knocked up by my thumb as I maneuver the rifle.

My sound mod is an Utra - which is strippable but a PITA to reassemble sometimes.

Edited by Dave-G

I have a browning T bolt with a 16.5 " barrel ! It has a hogan moderator fitted which in total the length is around 20" ! In my opinion , the shorter total length out weighs the longer barrel for ease of use in a vehicle and looks ! I use my HMR out to 150 Yds realisticly and I never struggle with accuracy, and if I do it's down to me ! Generally the shorter barrel's are more popular these days, and in fairness , manufactures wouldn't make them if they didn't work ! I have a .22 LR cz with a 22" barrel, and that works well too ! Personal preference springs to mind !

Just been to look at my first 17hmr and really like the look of one but when I sent the picture to my shooting buddy he said that the long barrels were rubbish and people couldn't give them away.

So my question to you guys is

Which is better the long or short barrel and reasons , as I want to get it right first time and not have to buy again.

Cheers Jamie

Your shooting buddy doesn't have a clue!

I would suggest you find another!

:good:

Edited by Dekers

there must be a reason 2 of the most accurate rifle makers produce 14" barrels? respect your opinion dekers ,have you found different?

It isn't because...

...long barrels were rubbish and people couldn't give them away.

Anschutz also make plenty of barrels in assorted longer lengths, as do many other manufacturers!

The difference in performance between a 14" and 22" HMR, either power or accuracy, is of little consequence to "most" people out in the field. Colins #13 would suggest long is better than short for speed/energy, and 18" is a good overall length for this, but there is no indication of accuracy in those figures!

Its down to personal preference/intended use really.

:good:

Edited by Dekers