cormorants

raphael262

You need to get a licence from (I think) Natural England or Environment Agency. The licence will allow you to take a maximum number, over a certain time period. Shooting them without a licence would be a breach of various wildlife laws, and, if prosecuted, would quite likely see you losing your SGC/FAC, as you would demonstrably not be a 'fit and proper' person.

No idea regarding lead or not, sorry

EDIT : licences getting issued is not a quick process, takes several months, and (from the last time I did it), the paperwork is horrendous

Edited by robbiep

i have offered to do it at a fishing lake would i have to get the licence or them ?

If I recall correctly, they apply for the licence

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/licence-to-protect-fisheries-from-fish-eating-birds-or-mammals

Plenty of reading for you here.

As said, the hoops the fishery have to go through are onerous, to say the least. On a number of days the number of cormorants on the site have to be counted, those counts (with photos, preferably) submitted, the number of cormorants it is hoped to shoot has to be put in too (which they WILL reduce by at least half). Also details on the damage that they are causing, estimated loss numbers for fish, etc, etc.

If/when the licence is granted, then full records need to be kept again, and submitted, to show the actions have been carried out.

If it was me, I'd let the fishery do it all - don't get involved. One little screwup, and they'll be all over you and the fishery