Rant - I hate this Gunshop

Cosd

I was in there sometime ago, a couple of people poked their heads around the door, Joe looked up and shouted if you haven't got a SGC then don't come in.

A few days later these same people come along to the ground I work and had a couple of lessons with me.

They swore they would never go back to the shop, and indeed have since purchased a number of guns, 4 if I recall correctly from Park Street Guns.

Poor old Joe blows hot and cold, he can be as helpful as he can be miserable.

Went in there not so long ago had a browse picked up some carts etc nothing out the ordinary happened, international firearms is only in Woodford not to far away from Enfield only down the a406. Great bunch of guys they really can't do enough for you, they always get my business.

I too, have always found them pleasant.

Went in there not so long ago had a browse picked up some carts etc nothing out the ordinary happened, international firearms is only in Woodford not to far away from Enfield only down the a406. Great bunch of guys they really can't do enough for you, they always get my business.

I wonder why you go back, take a hint friend.

People only get one chance with me, ****** me off and it will be a cold day in hell before I spend money with you. Of course my shopping world is getting smaller and smaller as I become more like Victor Meldrew, but you have to stick to your principals.

My thoughts as well. vote with your feet, never give them business again.

I will never use a well known Spalding gun shop even though they are generally recognised as being good by others, as I once had very poor service from them. I would never buy from there even if It was the only place in the world selling steel shot and the Pinks were in. (maybe I would)

I went in there years ago when I was wanting to sell a rifle, it was actually through someone I know and the guy at the shop you've mentioned wanted it as it was a sort after rifle at the time, spoke to him on the phone and he said what ever condition it was in he'd pay x amount as he wanted the action so all was good, his shop is a couple of hours drive but wanting a free slot on my ticket and wanting to do the bloke a favour I didnt mind.

Anyway after meeting the bloke (cant remember his name but had a white beard) he turned out to be a right tit he spent half hour telling me he didnt want it and he'd only pay half what he'd agreed so I said "I'll leave it" then he started showing more interest but im no mug and even if he offered me the agreed price I would do a deal to someone who does business like that.

His shop was a tip and half the stock looked like it had been used in the boer war

My thoughts as well. vote with your feet, never give them business again.

I will never use a well known Spalding gun shop even though they are generally recognised as being good by others, as I once had very poor service from them. I would never buy from there even if It was the only place in the world selling steel shot and the Pinks were in. (maybe I would)

I bought a set of tweeds and plus fours to wear just for when I visit that certain gun shop in Spalding.

It gets them eating out of my hand! :yes:

I took a gun to international for a small repair and after about 6 weeks rung them to be asked what bettinsoli? I had to explain the whole issue until he remembered then fobbed off with it'll be ready next week. The following week I went to pick it up and it still hadn't been done and it took him ages to actually find my gun,which turned out to be on the floor under a load of empty boxes.

He's a nice enough bloke but I wouldn't use him again.

I think most gun shops fall into the marmite category.

Jim

I've been going to Joe for decades, I am totally amazed by the comments. I have always found him to be a gentleman of the old school although I get where you are coming from on the grumpy bit. In his defense, he has to put up with a lot of idiots who walk in asking silly questions.

The only thing I would say against him is when PPU ammo started becoming popular he refused to stock it and he still wont , In every other way he is a diamond. I will always go there if I can.

I've been going to Joe for decades, I am totally amazed by the comments. I have always found him to be a gentleman of the old school although I get where you are coming from on the grumpy bit. In his defense, he has to put up with a lot of idiots who walk in asking silly questions.

The only thing I would say against him is when PPU ammo started becoming popular he refused to stock it and he still wont , In every other way he is a diamond. I will always go there if I can.

There's no such thing as a silly question.... Annoying when you've heard the same thing for the last 40 years maybe but people are or should be what his business is about

The funny thing is being polite and a 'nice' guy costs nothing and most people will buy based on that not just the price of their goods alone....why on earth more people in the retail sector can't work that out is beyond me!

I had some great service from a gunshop near me I'd not previously visited, nothing was too much trouble etc and I wasn't even looking for a new gun but one they had caught my eye....thought about it, went back the next weekend and bought it! Gave me a fair p/x on one of my guns as well, and being local have gained another customer for years to come.

I wouldn't even buy a tin of pellets from someone like old 'joe'....there's just no need to these days with so many other options, can't stand people who think they're doing you the favour by selling you something!!!

The funny thing is being polite and a 'nice' guy costs nothing and most people will buy based on that not just the price of their goods alone....why on earth more people in the retail sector can't work that out is beyond me!

I had some great service from a gunshop near me I'd not previously visited, nothing was too much trouble etc and I wasn't even looking for a new gun but one they had caught my eye....thought about it, went back the next weekend and bought it! Gave me a fair p/x on one of my guns as well, and being local have gained another customer for years to come.

I wouldn't even buy a tin of pellets from someone like old 'joe'....there's just no need to these days with so many other options, can't stand people who think they're doing you the favour by selling you something!!!

The thing is I don't get any sense that Joe is at all like that, he greets me by name when I walk in, offers me a cup of coffee and is all smiles always laughing and joking. He's like Father Christmas, admittedly, that sense of humour runs to a bit of banter but he definitely knows his stuff and people drive miles to go to him. The only thing I can imagine is there must be two places called East Barnet.

The other thing is, he is still there when quite a few others have gone to the wall, that must tell you something.

Edited by Vince Green

The thing is I don't get any sense that Joe is at all like that, he greets me by name when I walk in, offers me a cup of coffee and is all smiles always laughing and joking. He's like Father Christmas, admittedly, that sense of humour runs to a bit of banter but he definitely knows his stuff and people drive miles to go to him. The only thing I can imagine is there must be two places called East Barnet.

The other thing is, he is still there when quite a few others have gone to the wall, that must tell you something.

I was just speaking metaphorically and only using 'Joe' as an example after some of the opinions about him and his ways on this thread.....I've never been to his shop so he could be the nicest guy in the world for all I know. Seems to be a divided opinion about him for sure, gunshops certainly seem to do that! Edited by Wilts#Dave

In Joes defence, he certainly "does know" what he is talking about.

I think he is a real Marmite person.

The shop has been there a number of years and Joe has built up a supportive and loyal customer base, and recently he has tidied the shop.

I have not been there for a couple of years, but he always supported me by advertising at the "A1 Kids Shooting Days".

I was going to start a similar rant a while back after maskells changed hands I just have not been back since, it does seem gun shops can get away with it more and phrases like 'old school' and 'a character' are used. Its not like a supermarket when you go down the road, the next gun shop can be miles away and sometime you put up with it. More competition might make things a little better