Pinks from the fog

fenboy

I had arranged to meet up with TonyG from the forum this morning for a flight on the wash.

The weather was predicted to be cold and more importantly foggy , for once the weather man had got it right as when I awoke and peered out of the window I was met with a good thick fog.

On the way to the marsh it was evident the fog was patchy , with dense stuff in some places and nothing in others , I was somewhat disappointed that when I pulled into the car part it was nothing more than a little murky .

Tony arrived in good time and we were first in the car park , a good thing as it turned out , we were soon joined by another 3 fowlers , they had the good grace to ask us where we were planning on shooting before we headed off rather than rushing off without asking.

We had a bit of a walk to our chosen position by the time we got there the fog had started to descend again raising our spirits as did the sound of pinks out on the mud.

We were well early so stood together having a cuppa and chat and once again the fog started to clear , it was on and off like a whores drawers !

Luckily as day started to break in rolled in again , this time thicker and this time it stayed , just in the nick of time , we could hear geese getting more and more vocal and knew they would soon be on the move.

Sure enough a few minutes later and we could hear a single out in the fog , we gave it a call and it responded eventually coming out of the fog crossing me from left to right .

The gun went up and the goose flew on , I missed it clean with my first shot , fortunately my second found its mark and the goose crashed down in the rapidly filling creek in front , the dog was out in a flash and the first goose was in the bag.

Next chance was a small group of four or five birds which again responded to the call and headed out of the fog straight over my head , again it was my second shot that dropped a goose , Tony missed his chance from the same group.

So in a few minutes I had doubled my foreshore pink tally and had a big happy grin on my face , I was not yet done though as once again a single pink was answering our calls , this one turned up out on my left and I dropped it as it flared up over my head and it landed with a thud behind.

The tide was now pushing hard and was up to our ankles but we were confident we could sit it out from our position , I am pleased we stayed put as I soon had another chance , this time a small group headed between Tony and myself , I told him to take the one that was closest to him at the back while I went for one further up front to make sure we did not select the same one , this time our shots were met with two geese dead in the air splashing down in the water that was all around us , so Tony had his goose at last ( I may have neglected to mention one or two more he missed and the various excuses for doing so :whistling: )

Well I was still not finished , again a single was calling out on the left , again it responded great to the call and I dropped it as it crossed out front .

Five in the bag for me now so I decided to slip my gun for the rest of the flight as I personally think thats enough despite the bag limit being higher .

A while later one was calling once again on the left , a few calls and we were presented with two pinks dropping out of the fog with their paddles down straight across the front of me toward Tony , this one he clipped with his first and killed with his second shot .

We finished flight when a final one was called in which Tony dropped out in the creek in front as it came over my head .

A great flight that may take a long time to come close to again and will remain in the memory for even longer.

DSC_0123_zpsbc89e8c3.jpg

DSC_0120_zpse4c5eb40.jpg

DSC_0118_zps4a9aacf5.jpg

DSC_0124_zpsa1b225c3.jpg

Tony.

DSC_0127_zpsed5da814.jpg

And yours truly .

DSC_0126_zps4953a379.jpg

Edited by fenboy

You are quite an expert now then?

I saw a freshly dead pinkfoot this morning as I was travelling to the Wolds. It was on the side of the road near some 22,000 volt power lines. Putting two and two together I guess that it flew into the power lines in last nights fog.

You are quite an expert now then?

I saw a freshly dead pinkfoot this morning as I was travelling to the Wolds. It was on the side of the road near some 22,000 volt power lines. Putting two and two together I guess that it flew into the power lines in last nights fog.

I could shoot the wash for the next 30 years and not be a expert on there JDog .

Five!!! Greedy ***!

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if you repeat it sooner than you think. It happened to me!

By the way, those pinks look far too clean for my liking!

I have no need to disguise them in mud like mat :lol: , we were right on the tide so they all dropped in water rather than mud :good:

Well what can I say As Fenboy has already said today was one of those days you hope for and dream of The conditions were bang on,we both called well,the dogs worked well(despite being up to their nads in ice cold water)and one of us shot well ! A great flight and as Fenboy said its one to remember for a long time

Top Man fenboy.and well done to you Both. It was hard work where I was this morning but a mate had his first Pink from the part of coast we was shooting ( not his first or shore pink ) I luckily got 4 and I know of 2 others shot. Roll on the Moon for you know then oh Pintail are about

Well what can I say As Fenboy has already said today was one of those days you hope for and dream of The conditions were bang on,we both called well,the dogs worked well(despite being up to their nads in ice cold water)and one of us shot well ! A great flight and as Fenboy said its one to remember for a long time

Fear not Tony , I have seen people shoot much worse that you did , there really was no need for those , new choke , left handed right eye dominance , the dog nudged me , the fog was in my eyes, wrong shot size type excuses you were coming out with :lol:

Well done Fenboy. I too had fog on the N Norfolk coast. It was very thick at dawn and 2 skiens passed by very close but , unseen in the poor pre dawn light. Not another skien moved until about 8am, at the top of the tide. Just at the tide turned the fog cleared and the geese started to flight, but all well up. A few almost tempted me , but they were a tad out of range. So finished the flight with clean barrels. Typical by the time I had waded off the marsh the fog returned and it was as thick as ever.

Well done Fenboy. I too had fog on the N Norfolk coast. It was very thick at dawn and 2 skiens passed by very close but , unseen in the poor pre dawn light. Not another skien moved until about 8am, at the top of the tide. Just at the tide turned the fog cleared and the geese started to flight, but all well up. A few almost tempted me , but they were a tad out of range. So finished the flight with clean barrels. Typical by the time I had waded off the marsh the fog returned and it was as thick as ever.

Unlucky , I think it must have been close to 10am when Tony shot the final pink and there were still odd ones to be heard when we were walking off.

He did , he gave a excellent demonstration on how not to shoot them when you took me out , I worked out from that how it should be done :whistling:

I did account for the first one with one of Mottys homeloads though .

Must have been the cleanest killed of all your birds!