Wildfowling dog

Davyo

I would advise you use the Search function in the Dogs section...

Which is fine , but if everybody did that PW along with other forums would become a reference point rather than a active forum and with new members joining all the time you may be missing out on some helpful advice . :)

Another Lab vote here, For most fowling I doubt you can better a good strong Lab. It does need to be a "proper" Lab not the new whippety type things!!!!

I agree with the above 100% . If you are going to do coastal wildfowling your dog needs to be strong and not afraid of the conditions he or she will come up against, such as, strong tides , long retrieves over soft mud and sitting and waiting long periods in cold and wet conditions .

If your inland and do a bit of rough shooting you might think about a Springer but if its your first dog still go for a Lab ......You wont regret it.

Big strong lab dog, strong swimmers, love water and very resilliant to cold ( unless it sleeps all day next to the fire/ radiator ). Keep it outside, far tougher to the elements!

I'll second that I've seen house dogs stood shivering at the slightest breeze I'd say a lab is a good starter dog for anyone

as mentioned before, try fowling first before dog what if it's not for you.labuk gundogsguns on pegs classifiedgoogle gundogs for sale uk. should throw up enough to get you started.

Thanks mate,I know what you mean,but if I have a season out 1st I would need to buddy with another fowler who has a dog as people keep telling me it's not good practice / irresponsible to shoot without a dog as I wouldnt be able to retrieve difficult birds.

Thanks mate,I know what you mean,but if I have a season out 1st I would need to buddy with another fowler who has a dog as people keep telling me it's not good practice / irresponsible to shoot without a dog as I wouldnt be able to retrieve difficult birds.

I think most wildfowling clubs have a period when you join that will require you to be mentored by another member. I know our club does and it does seem that only a percentage of them pursue it until they are a full member.

I have owned labs and a chessie. Labs all the way for me.

The chessie is as hard as nails, impervious to cold and an incredible swimmer. Sounds good? He is a liability around other dogs, was aggressive to strangers (until I had him neutered) and developed a hard mouth.

Like I said. Labs all the way.

Just to be different ive got a Chesapeake coming feb/march .

i have a springer which i will still use for the next 18 months/2yrs . ive spoken to people who have them rather than getting it from hear say .ive seen the breeder, all of there dogs were very well behaved working dogs .

most of my wildfowling buddies have labs some even two . but even with them there is a mixture of field trial open dogs , lazy dogs and aggressive, stubborn pig headed dogs who drive the owner nuts . So labs are not guaranteed to be the perfect dog. even though i suspect a high percentage are.

Live one day a Lion