Wildfowling dog

Davyo

Just to be different ive got a Chesapeake coming feb/march .

i have a springer which i will still use for the next 18 months/2yrs . ive spoken to people who have them rather than getting it from hear say .ive seen the breeder, all of there dogs were very well behaved working dogs .

most of my wildfowling buddies have labs some even two . but even with them there is a mixture of field trial open dogs , lazy dogs and aggressive, stubborn pig headed dogs who drive the owner nuts . So labs are not guaranteed to be the perfect dog. even though i suspect a high percentage are.

Live one day a Lion

You only live once. No regrets.

I have only had one chessie so very limited experience of the breed.

I know Supergoose on here has / had one from the same place as me and has a better opinion of the breed than I have.

Which kennels are you getting yours from?

I have had labs for wildfowling for over 40 years and they have always lived in and I have never had a problem with them feeling the cold they work outside everyday as I am a keeper.

My dogs have all lived inside and same as" Hiffy " they are out every day and sleeping near a radiator haven't done them any harm. I don't think I would be any harder if I lived outside, in fact I would most proberley be dead now :yes:

I know Supergoose on here has / had one from the same place as me and has a better opinion of the breed than I have.

penrose Chesapeake's near abergavenny wales.

Thanks mate,I know what you mean,but if I have a season out 1st I would need to buddy with another fowler who has a dog as people keep telling me it's not good practice / irresponsible to shoot without a dog as I wouldnt be able to retrieve difficult birds.

Of course you would be better off with a dog, but there are plenty that enjoy wildfowling that do not have one .

Obviously you would have to restrict the spots you shoot to those that you would be able to retrieve anything you shoot yourself , bare in mind it will take a couple of years to get a puppy ready for the foreshore.

Thanks mate,I know what you mean,but if I have a season out 1st I would need to buddy with another fowler who has a dog as people keep telling me it's not good practice / irresponsible to shoot without a dog as I wouldnt be able to retrieve difficult birds.

I have used a springer for the past 4 seasons and it has been a peach...trained it meself the best I could and she goes out in any sea...and she don't moult like a Labrador me brother has a red fox lab and it is useless compared to her and nitemare with hairs off it :lol::lol::lol:

He's still doing the business ' and is nearly 10yrs old.

Iamspuddy' if you need any advice on the breed' Riptide or mudpatten on here are the men to speak to.

There was a thread a few months back that was quite lengthy ' and if you search back it may be of interest.

To the OP' any breed of Dog from the bigger Spanials,Hpr's, Retrievers to crossbreeds are all suitable and will do the job for Wildfowling.

But I would agree with the advise.. not to rush into anything when you have never been Wildfowling before.

Heres a short clip of my dog retrieving a Greylag back in Oct. Nothing spectacular about the retrieve other than he is getting on and the goose was a swimmer and was further out' it was only when the goose dived and the chessie dived with it and was on his way back in' when I thought to take out the phone. I forgot my dog whistle that morn and kept his collar on as it was a foggy Dawn before it cleared. I already posted this on the WF so some will have seen it already.

My dog turns a rusty red in the winter but Due to it being still pretty mild he is only now starting to get his winter coat.

He's still doing the business ' and is nearly 10yrs old.

Iamspuddy' if you need any advice on the breed' Riptide or mudpatten on here are the men to speak to.

There was a thread a few months back that was quite lengthy ' and if you search back it may be of interest.

To the OP' any breed of Dog from the bigger Spanials,Hpr's, Retrievers to crossbreeds are all suitable and will do the job for Wildfowling.

But I would agree with the advise.. not to rush into anything when you have never been Wildfowling before.

Heres a short clip of my dog retrieving a Greylag back in Oct. Nothing spectacular about the retrieve other than he is getting on and the goose was a swimmer and was further out' it was only when the goose dived and the chessie dived with it and was on his way back in' when I thought to take out the phone. I forgot my dog whistle that morn and kept his collar on as it was a foggy Dawn before it cleared. I already posted this on the WF so some will have seen it already.

My dog turns a rusty red in the winter but Due to it being still pretty mild he is only now starting to get his winter coat.

Looking at your dog, it looks like I got a duff one! Nice retrieve Denys.