Car Battery Chargers

four-wheel-drive

As is usual at this time of year the battery on my 4ltr Jeep is sounding a bit weak I have had this battery for just over a year they rarely tend to last much longer than 18 months there is a problem but it cannot be found do do not bother saying do this or that as I have had this Jeep for about 10 years and tried everything known to man.

My question is my present charger is in need of replacing and I need to get a new one I have about £60 to spend can anyone tell be the best one to get I do not want to buy another cheapo one in fact I would probably be better off just to get a new battery every year but I thought it would be worth trying a decent charger.

I did at one time get one of those little clever chargers that you keep it plugged in all of the time that the car was not in use that made the battery last 2 years and I ended up chucking both the batter and the charger.

There are plenty of decent ones at the local car boot sale. mainly Bradex. rarely see them above £3 and function perfectly. Bought a few at £2 to give to sons, friends etc.

If you are in the North West - I have a spare one.

I don't use them, as I have a garage type car starter - will do lorries as well.

Fit a kill switch at the battery end that will stop it going flat. You can buy batterys with 3 year warranty so keep the recipt and just taking them back when it gose wrong.

I have got a kill switch but do not use it unless I will not be using it for some days as the computers do not like being turned off and on to much the battery that I have on it is a free replacement its when they get to be about 13/16 months old that I have the problem it will hold the charge but let you down at times when you do not expect it.

Buy a C-Tek charger well worth the money not the cheapest but very good.

I had one of them and as I said it seemed to work for a couple of years but then it let me down badly I ended up chucking both it and the battery.

After having a bit of a look around I think that I am going with this one it seems to tick all of the boxes its a bit more than I intended to spend but it should last for many years.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0012EI1G8/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

Edited by four-wheel-drive

its not unusual for a battery to last over 5 years now. I would certainly investigate it a bit more if your only getting 18 months out of one, out of interest what`s the charging rate at idle and 3,000 rpm?

I cannot tell you as I am not into auto electrics but the people how have looked at it for me say that everything is working as it should. as for having another battery I do like the idea of that but in the jeep XJ engine bay they only way to get another battery in is by removing the big air filter box it can be done but it is not that simple or I would have done it years ago in fact the size of the battery is very limited so you cannot fit a bigger one in without still more work.

• 2 weeks later...

These take some beating, they won't start your car but they will keep your battery tip top, it comes with a plug that you permanently fix to your battery and it just plugs in, I bought one for work and it's so good I have a leisure battery permanently attached to it when it's not in the caravan

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-MXS-5-0-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B00FC42HAA

I work in a body shop a few years ago when there were a few more 4ltr jeeps about we found if they went flat

They would go so flat they killed the batteries

From new they had a gel battery in them which was better I belive but were really expensive

Sorry not much help I know but you're obviously not alone

Any charger that costs more than a few quid should be fine

As is usual at this time of year the battery on my 4ltr Jeep is sounding a bit weak I have had this battery for just over a year they rarely tend to last much longer than 18 months there is a problem but it cannot be found do do not bother saying do this or that as I have had this Jeep for about 10 years and tried everything known to man.

My question is my present charger is in need of replacing and I need to get a new one I have about £60 to spend can anyone tell be the best one to get I do not want to buy another cheapo one in fact I would probably be better off just to get a new battery every year but I thought it would be worth trying a decent charger.

I did at one time get one of those little clever chargers that you keep it plugged in all of the time that the car was not in use that made the battery last 2 years and I ended up chucking both the batter and the charger.

I have a motorhome which I rarely use from beginning of December through to Feb each year , I have had the same battery on it since I bought the van four years ago but I use a smart charger I bought from Aldi few years back plugged in whilst laid up , I think it was under £20 .

I have a motorhome which I rarely use from beginning of December through to Feb each year , I have had the same battery on it since I bought the van four years ago but I use a smart charger I bought from Aldi few years back plugged in whilst laid up , I think it was under £20 .

Snap!

I also se the aldi chargers for wintering classic cars

Aldi or lidl smart one 3 year warranty does the job brilliantly just put it in charge every time it's laid up. Missus car struggles as its elec everything and short commute means on most trips more power comes out than goes back in.... Every couple of months give an overnight charge and job is done !

One thing that people should bear in mind is my jeep has a big 4ltr engine that needs a whole lot more charge to turn that engine over especially in winter when it is very cold out than would a 1500/2000cc to start a little engine takes much less even with a new fully charged battery you do not get that snappy start that you get with a little one just my thoughts.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

When I had a second car that only saw minimal winter use I used to connect it to an ordinary battery charger which was on a timer switch. An hour a day of trickle charge kept it ready for immediate use whatever the weather. Plugged in to the cigarette lighter socket meant it could be connected/disconnected in a couple of seconds. :good: