High Blood pressue symptoms ?

Wiggum

Can anyone explain the symptoms you get with high blood pressure ?

Just lately I've been getting headaches (base of the back of my head and temple area) and occasionally slightly light headed mainly whilst at work as its quite stressful at the minute so I'm thinking it may be down to stress or maybe high blood pressure.

I'm going to get my eyes tested as I work quite a lot on a laptop and this may also be the cause and then maybe a trip to the doc's if they don't settle down,

Just lately I've been getting headaches (base of the back of my head and temple area) and occasionally slightly light headed mainly whilst at work as its quite stressful at the minute so I'm thinking it may be down to stress or maybe high blood pressure.

I'm going to get my eyes tested as I work quite a lot on a laptop and this may also be the cause and then maybe a trip to the doc's if they don't settle down,

Blood pressure is the silent killer mate, you can have no symptoms. I went the docs, for something else and he took my blood pressure and it was sky high, been on tablets ever since, get it checked.

Blood pressure is the silent killer mate, you can have no symptoms. I went the docs, for something else and he took my blood pressure and it was sky high, been on tablets ever since, get it checked.

Exactly the same here - no symptoms mine was only diagnosed when I had pre-op check

Stress can also bring on tension headaches so don't automatically assume it's your blood pressure. Ear infections or other such things can cause light headed symptoms, as can low blood pressure. There are so many things it could be!

Go for a chat and checkup with the GP, it never hurts to have an mot!

Support all that has bee said, my late dad was skinny as anything, had his 1st stroke late 40s and had another 2 after but carried on working. BP was sky high and he was waiting for a triple bypass when he died yet no external symptoms and no weight issues.

A lot is genetic when it comes to BP & Cholesterol. had 2 uncles that never made it beyond their 30s

Hope it all goes well and you get to the bottom of things. Could be as simple as posture.

Support all that has bee said, my late dad was skinny as anything, had lifehis 1st stroke late 40s and had another 2 after but carried on working. BP was sky high and he was waiting for a triple bypass when he died yet no external symptoms and no weight issues.

A lot is genetic when it comes to BP & Cholesterol. had 2 uncles that never made it beyond their 30s

Hope it all goes well and you get to the bottom of things. Could be as simple as posture.

+1 On being genetic.

I have both BP and high cholesterol which I got from my mother.

Since found out , on medication which I have to take for the rest of my life, if I want to keep them under control.

Automatic blood pressure testers are not expensive - buy one and check it yourself regularly.

+1 on that I had to have a stent put in some years ago and have to go to the doctors once a year for a check over but I got myself a pressure tester so that I can keep an eye on my blood pressure do not use it much but if I feel a bit stressed I test it to see how it is doing it only cost about £25 so well worth having if you do not now how to use it just do a google and you will find out all that you need to no.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

You would, as everyone suggests be wise to get a health check. I was diagnosed with hypertension about 30 years ago at the height of my football career and I was as fit as a flea at the time...it was hereditary and also my cholesterol levels were raised even though my diet was very good.

I started having headaches similar to yours a couple of years ago so I was pretty sure they were not related to my BP. I had a doctors appointment and my eyes tested and eventually when I saw a physiotherapist it transpired that it was my posture. Like you, being sedentary at a computer most of the day my seating position and general alignment of my neck and spine was dreadful and referred pain in my upper back and shoulder blade was causing these dull head aches.

Two or three visits to the chiropractor and a conscious effort to sit correctly at work and at home has improved matters appreciably and the head aches have desisted.

Luckily my Physiotherapist is a extremely attractive and intelligent young lady and her private services are free....I bred her :lol:

Don't rule out this potential cause. :good:

I was in a car crash a few years ago. Up to that point my blood pressure was normal.

As I awaited the Fire Service cutting me out of the car, the other driver's wife sauntered over, cigarette in hand, and said "Is that petrol leaking under your car?". I will admit to feeling slightly alarmed. Fire Service duly arrived - cut me out - paramedics said my blood pressure was 180 over 220 (from memory) - heart attack territory.

Carted off to hospital and, after a short stay, discharged. However, the visit did identify high blood pressure and I have been on medication since.

Get it checked.

I am hypertensive or should it be "I have hypertension" Im not sure.

Been on meds for it for a few years now, but sometimes have spells where I dont take them regularly for a bit,

either because A: I couldnt afford the prescription charges or B: Im just not very good at taking care of meself.

I get some nasty nasty headsplitting headaches, blurred vision, nausea at times, This prompts me to check my BP and find its through the roof ie 240/160-180. Usually then phone nhs helpline and end up going to a&e and twice Ive been admitted and put on intravenous medication to get it down.

used to have normal blood pressure till i got pneumonia last year ,blood pressure peaked at 208 for 3 days .they got it down to 140 b4 kicking my but out of hospital and again its pills for ever now.get checked m8 its your health and its more important than ever if your stressed as well.go see your G.P asap .good luck

+1 on that I had to have a stent put in some years ago and have to go to the doctors once a year for a check over but I got myself a pressure tester so that I can keep an eye on my blood pressure do not use it much but if I feel a bit stressed I test it to see how it is doing it only cost about £25 so well worth having if you do not now how to use it just do a google and you will find out all that you need to no.

I have one of these:

http://www.omron-healthcare.com/eu/en/our-products/blood-pressure-monitoring/m10-it

Works very well. It can (optionally) automatically take 3 readings over a few minutes and give you an average - which I think is really a more realistic view of your blood pressure. It also has a USB port and software if you want to store the readings and look at graphs and how your BP is trending over time.

There are worse things you could spend 45 quid on.

I have one of these:

http://www.omron-healthcare.com/eu/en/our-products/blood-pressure-monitoring/m10-it

Works very well. It can (optionally) automatically take 3 readings over a few minutes and give you an average - which I think is really a more realistic view of your blood pressure. It also has a USB port and software if you want to store the readings and look at graphs and how your BP is trending over time.

There are worse things you could spend 45 quid on.

My one is like that only older and my readings tend to be more like 140x70x 52

off to gps for a full mot asap, if you cannot get appointment with your gp, go to your local pharmacy or boots as many of them offer on the spot blood pressure testing until you can see the quack. when having your eye test they will check intra occular pressure in eyes. your symptoms could be several things, do not wait get yourself checked for peace of mind.

I am hypertensive or should it be "I have hypertension" Im not sure.

Been on meds for it for a few years now, but sometimes have spells where I dont take them regularly for a bit,

either because A: I couldnt afford the prescription charges or B: Im just not very good at taking care of meself.

I get some nasty nasty headsplitting headaches, blurred vision, nausea at times, This prompts me to check my BP and find its through the roof ie 240/160-180. Usually then phone nhs helpline and end up going to a&e and twice Ive been admitted and put on intravenous medication to get it down.

I was in the chemists yesterday waiting for 3 perscriptions to be issued and noticed a poster on the wall with charges on they were over £8 + per perscription only glad i haven't had to pay for the last 7 years ....

I have an 'Omron' BP tester, the simple, cheapest version bought on line for about £15. I recently found out that it is the same one.

as my Doctor uses !

'White Coat Syndrome' definitely exists. I had a check up at my Doctors recently and my BP started at 161/80 and after three readings with a minute between them it settled at 140/74.

It was decided it was a little on the high side and I was asked to monitor my readings for a couple of weeks and then bring them in to the Doctor for analysis. That is this evening.

My routine checks show that my BP averages 141/75 in the mornings and 138/73 in the evenings. The so called good BP figure is 120/80 so I reckon I am not too bad.

Vic.