decisions

m greeny

3.5" 12 , I was only discussing this yesterday morning , more cartridge choice and cheaper if you do not want to go down the home load route , will kill as far as the 10 if you put it in the right place , lighter to carry miles .

Agree, I generally use a 3.5 semi for marsh and crop protection. However I will be surprised if you completly resist the temptation for a large bore gun if you get into serious Wildfowling. I have had three 10 bores in my time. Still have one in my cabinet now. Never use it myself but it is there in case a new gun to Wildfowling wants to try one. There is something about having a big bore on the foreshore that you will probably want to experience.

Agree, I generally use a 3.5 semi for marsh and crop protection. However I will be surprised if you completly resist the temptation for a large bore gun if you get into serious Wildfowling. I have had three 10 bores in my time. Still have one in my cabinet now. Never use it myself but it is there in case a new gun to Wildfowling wants to try one. There is something about having a big bore on the foreshore that you will probably want to experience.

Yes I would most likely buy a 10 at some stage if keep up the fowling , which I intend too .

I was speaking as if I could only have the one gun , then it would be a 3.5" 12 gauge

I have never felt the need to go above a 12g 3.5 inch. My Browning Gold s\a does all I ask of it , it is resonabley light to carry and the shells easy to buy in a wide selection and cheaper than 10 bore shells. The 12 also has greater versitility if the chance of a duck comes along and there is a lot to be said for sticking for one gun for most of your shooting , start swopping guns and there is a good chance your aim will suffer.

Back in the 90s I did have the use of a 10 bore , but I found them clumbersom compared to a 12 bore and though I did kill a few geese with it they were all ones that the 12 bore would have coped with.

If it is just foreshore geese you are shooting then go for a ten bore.

Weight helps the swing..also why people moan about weight I will never know, nobody complains when they have that big fat goose to lug across the marsh!

Shorter shot column= better patterns.

Remington nitro cartridges and gamebore rhino through a ten seem to penetrate better at range than the 'equivalent' 12bore loads

So..foreshore geese only - 10 bore

If more or equal duck shots are involved -12 bore

If it is just foreshore geese you are shooting then go for a ten bore.

Weight helps the swing..also why people moan about weight I will never know, nobody complains when they have that big fat goose to lug across the marsh!

Shorter shot column= better patterns.

Remington nitro cartridges and gamebore rhino through a ten seem to penetrate better at range than the 'equivalent' 12bore loads

So..foreshore geese only - 10 bore

If more or equal duck shots are involved -12 bore

I'm not convinced. I own a 10 and a 12 for the marsh, and find that I can get equally good kills with both. My highest pink this season has been shot with the 12. I have been using steel less this season.

I'm not convinced. I own a 10 and a 12 for the marsh, and find that I can get equally good kills with both. My highest pink this season has been shot with the 12. I have been using steel less this season.

You personally may get equally good kills but the 10 is capable of 'better' kills than the 12.

I have fired thousands of different lead and non toxic loads through different guns and chokes at paper and ply to find out for myself.

The main factor in all these gun/choke and ammo questions is actually none of that..the best gun for the OP will be the one that fits correctly.

AYA matador is the gun that is best for me personally I have found, as the one sat in my cabinet sits well in my shoulder...this gun with the cartridges i use may perform very well out to ranges I consider 'long' but if it didn't fit me it would be of no use

Just buy the most rust proof you can afford on a budget that won't break your heart when its covered in mud and slime

It's a harsh environment for a gun

Personal choice if I was to go again semi auto short barrel 3.1/2 chamber steel proof 1/4 choke

Plastic synthetic stock with sling swivels 12 bore in camo

Reasons lighter one barrel not two low recoil choked for duck and geese

cleanable in the shower no need for a gun slip cheap to practise with

you need to learn to shoot before you go on the marsh opertunity is limited

It's a tool on the marsh so you should expect to mess it up

Hope this helps

All the best

Of

Just buy the most rust proof you can afford on a budget that won't break your heart when its covered in mud and slime

It's a harsh environment for a gun

Personal choice if I was to go again semi auto short barrel 3.1/2 chamber steel proof 1/4 choke

Plastic synthetic stock with sling swivels 12 bore in camo

Reasons lighter one barrel not two low recoil choked for duck and geese

cleanable in the shower no need for a gun slip cheap to practise with

you need to learn to shoot before you go on the marsh opertunity is limited

It's a tool on the marsh so you should expect to mess it up

Hope this helps

All the best

Of

Always like your posts OF, simple and to the point. Enjoyed reading about your day out in the mud too.

Hi old farrier i agree with everything you say except one point , on the marshes i shoot over its in our club rules to carry your gun in a slip until your off the seawall or out off any reserves that we have to cross to get to our shooting grounds . Am i right thinking you shouldn't walk on the seawall with your gun out as it's a public right off way .

Martin

Hi old farrier i agree with everything you say except one point , on the marshes i shoot over its in our club rules to carry your gun in a slip until your off the seawall or out off any reserves that we have to cross to get to our shooting grounds . Am i right thinking you shouldn't walk on the seawall with your gun out as it's a public right off way .

Martin

+1 on that

in your case I would get a rucksack with the built in slip often used by deer stalkers

Obvious rules must be adhered to just keep everything you carry to a minimum as you may be lucky enough to carry 3 or 4 geese back 20/30 lb added to your load

All the best

Of

Edit spelling

Edited by Old farrier

+1 on that

in your case I would get a rucksack with the built in slip often used by deer stalkers

Obvious rules must be adhered to just keep everything you carry to a minimum as you may be lucky enough to carry 3 or 4 geese back 20/30 lb added to your load

All the best

Of

Edit spelling

Pinks maybe but 4 Canada's can be close on 60lbs!! :lol:

Martin

I'd say its good practise to use a slip on a public right of way, but NOT a legal requirement.

I do some land law at uni so it would be pretty embarrassing if this is wrong! (wildfowlingmad, 2014)

I'd say its good practise to use a slip on a public right of way, but NOT a legal requirement.

I do some land law at uni so it would be pretty embarrassing if this is wrong! (wildfowlingmad, 2014)

Hi

I agree and a cover for your gun would be good practice

As for a legal requirement ? The public right of way could be owned by the person carrying the gun

I personally take a slip wildfowling as light as possible is the key factor

All the best

Of

Hi

I agree and a cover for your gun would be good practice

As for a legal requirement ? The public right of way could be owned by the person carrying the gun

I personally take a slip wildfowling as light as possible is the key factor

All the best

Of

Wether it is a legal requirement or not ALL responsible guns should keep their guns in a slip until you are at the place you intend to shoot. Anyone walking about with a gun exposed where you could potentially bump into ignorant Joe soap public who could become alarmed is doing our sport damage