What a result

Browning 425 clay hunter

Evening all, well what a day I'm having. I work in a builders merchant frequented occasionally by farmers so I always ask 'do you have any pest problems I can assist you with' usually the answer is 'sorry but we've got someone already' I always thank them for their time and off I go.

Well today one of the main farmers in my area asks if I'm still shooting and could I help him out. He's got a firld next to a canal and as if this morning there was 243 Canada geese he counted, eating the grass, flattening the grass and leaving their mess all over, so how much would I charge to have a go at them. I said 'nothing' as it would be my pleasure to assist free of charge. After a quick chat we arranged to meet on Saturday and he's going to show me the boundaries and where I can and can't shoot.

So once I've been on saturday and sorted out the fine details I'll be arranging my first trip. Now this is where the PW massive come in to it. I've been on 2 pheasant shoots and one days pigeon shooting so have little to no experience. So I'm after an EXPERIENCED well known PW member to come out with me and show me the ropes. This will be a one time offer and you are only coming as a guest for the one day we arrange.

Now I will be doing a lot of research and reading up but what are the main tips people would give a first time goose shooter. Cartridge/choke combination. I've two guns to choose from my 425 which is 2 3/4" chambered or my mossy 3 shot pump which is 3" chambered. Thanks for reading and look forward to any offers of assistance or advice. ATB 425

Yep you will want the 3" chamber and will be wanting to use steel shot in BB or BBB for canadas.

The main thing is those geese will be moving much quicker than you think and you will need to get well ahead of them , try and forget the body of the bird and think of its head as the target your trying to shoot.

Well I've just been for my first look around. Around 200/300 geese on the other side of the canal from the field but geese droppings everywhere. The only snag is the canal which runs parallel with the fields. The area I would be shooting has a canal with path about 100 yards to my right from the tree line I'd be using as cover. Obviously won't be shooting that way but think I might need the police to come out an have a look before I do any shooting as I could see it being a problem. The land owner has been shooting there for years without issue but better to be safe than sorry

One of the problems of seeking safe shooting advice from the Police, is the fact, that I very much doubt that there would be any Officer suitably knowledgable to advise you. If you need any further advice PM me, I am not a million miles away from you. Oh, and by the way I am NOT looking for shooting.

too true....sometimes you can be better off just getting on with it...take a bit of time to suss it out and maybe as islandgun says flight em in and out....defo the 3 shot 3inch, that third shot can be very useful for a winged one etc...don't want a wounded one on the canal... could always phone local plod just to keep em informed...youll get all the info you need on here.....good kind offer from Westley.. :good:

Thanks for all the info. I've had a chat with Westley via PM an he's really given me some great info. I actually went back to see the farmer last night to get him to sigh a written permission for me. When I got there he says 'oh yeah, I forgot to mention there's double the size of this land on the other side of the canal that's mine aswell, I'll take you round on Sunday to show you that aswell'. Then he mentions that if I do a good job here he's got 40+ acres in Blackburn I could have a go at.

I'm looking at going for my first time a week on Sunday but would really like someone more experienced than me to come along. Ideally with decoys although he says he just sits under the cover if the trees when he used to shoot them and did fine that way. ATB 425

• 2 months later...