First Experience with Hand Guns - An an Assault Rifle

ShaggyRS6

I had my first experience of hand guns and an assault rifle today here in the US. In a couple of months I will have my green card and will be able to buy my own weapons so I am wanting to learn about gun safety, the do's and dont's etc. A lovely lady called Sandy has taken me under her wing, she is a qualified NRA instructor and married to an Irish guy who's best mate is from Surrey :) so we have a little Ex Pat group going.

Today I was taught about weapon safety, how to hold a pistol of varying types, some with safety, some without. Semi Auto's and revolvers. I don't mind saying that it was a bit overwhelming but I did have the best time. Listed below is what I shot this evening, its in order of what I liked least to what I liked the most. The least liked really surprised me. So remember, No.1 is my least liked!

1. Glock 19 Gen 4 9mm - http://us.glock.com/products/model/g19gen4

2. Glock 35 .40 - http://us.glock.com/products/model/g35gen4

3. Colt 45 1911 - http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols.aspx

4. CZ SP01 Tactical - http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-sp-01-tactical-9mm-black-3-dot-tritium-sights-18-rd-mags/ (One of my fav's)

5. Smith & Wesson 620 .38 special - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_619_%26_620 (Favorite - Who'd have thought I was a revolver man)

6. AR-15 5.56 - http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_786010_-1_757785_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y (Wow just wow. hardly any recoil but boy this thing goes boom. Has a muzzle break, all the energy comes out each side of the break. From a shooters perspective there is little noise. From a spectators perspective you can actually feel the shot wave.

What a great evening. Beer and Pizza afterwards made some great friends.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your favourite is a derivative of my first handgun; a S&W Model 19. My favourite, and the one I used for all my revolver comp's was a nickelled S&W 586 with a 4" partridge sighted and vented barrel and custom made grips. After I had it tuned at Ferrand Custom Arms it was possible to pull it straight through double action with one hand without it moving off target, akin to some Webleys I fired once from a young lads collection. Great fun.

Sounds like you had fun! You should build your own AR once your green card comes through. From what I can tell it's a bit like building your own PC. Starting with buying a lower and go from there :)

Funny you should mention that. At the range we went too they do all the NRA courses, they do scenarios all kinds of stuff, they also do a build your own AR course :)

Your favourite is a derivative of my first handgun; a S&W Model 19. My favourite, and the one I used for all my revolver comp's was a nickelled S&W 586 with a 4" partridge sighted and vented barrel and custom made grips. After I had it tuned at Ferrand Custom Arms it was possible to pull it straight through double action with one hand without it moving off target, akin to some Webleys I fired once from a young lads collection. Great fun.

I found it strange I liked the revolvers over the semi autos. The metal guns just felt nicer. I smell of cordite this morning, I had this jumper with a hood on it, its full of shell casings :) I had such a good time.

Do you know - that's what struck me about last night. There were people from all walks of life at this range. I mentioned it before. Google Gun For Hire in New Jersey. Kids as young 12, Dad's, mum's all in a controlled environment. Everyone was having fun. Big smiles on people's faces, rules being obeyed, nobody being idiots. Range officers overseeing everything. Was a great place.

I had my first experience of hand guns and an assault rifle today here in the US. In a couple of months I will have my green card and will be able to buy my own weapons so I am wanting to learn about gun safety, the do's and dont's etc.

Please don't use that word. It's not an assault rifle, it's a semi-automatic rifle or a modern sporting rifle. Anti gunners use that as an emotive word to provoke a fear response in the general population. So we shouldn't use that word. The only trully "assault rifle" that exists out there is on that the army use, since it is a weapon and sometimes it's used in an armed assault.

With handguns and their associated shorter barrels, ‘Muzzle Awareness’, ‘Muzzle Awareness’ and ‘Muzzle Awareness’ are the overriding priorities, also as in most instances you will be, (in the USA) drawing a loaded handgun from a holster of some sort, having a holster that does not allow access to the trigger until the firearm is clearing the leather becomes a significant factor in regards to safety.

Practise, practise and practise some more your misfire drills, drawing from the holster drills and reloading drills. Practise the draw in stages and in slow motion, learn to shoot a handgun, (in a self-defence roll) with both eyes open, an acquired skill I can assure you.

There is loads of learning material available to you, take advantage of it and avoid becoming complacent regards weapon safety and discipline in both your firearms handling and in your new environmental location, (become ‘streetwise aware’) or it might cost you dearly!

A long life and happy times to you! :good:

Regards

Do you know - that's what struck me about last night. There were people from all walks of life at this range. I mentioned it before. Google Gun For Hire in New Jersey. Kids as young 12, Dad's, mum's all in a controlled environment. Everyone was having fun. Big smiles on people's faces, rules being obeyed, nobody being idiots. Range officers overseeing everything. Was a great place.

and thats just how it should be.sensible FUN with everyone involved.

Sounds like a good club steppenwolf.wish i could get into one but round here theyre not very friendly or even polite.

I could never understand this; how some gun clubs almost viewed other shooters with animosity and suspicion. I'd been shooting handguns for quite a few years and happened to enquire about an indoor range near Heysham, Morecambe. When I contacted them they asked me to come over for a chat one evening and bring my handguns, and some ammo I'd loaded myself, which I did.

I was shown into a room where i was greeted by about half a dozen members, none of whom seemed particularly friendly, and one old boy who couldn't hide his disgust when he announced that he'd visited my club once and said 'there were a load o' blokes walking round with guns in holsters like Dirty 'arry'. It didn't seem to make any difference when I told him we shot a lot of PP1 & 2 and Practical as well as slow fire Bullseye Comp's. He was even less impressed when I opened my case to show them my S&W Model 29 ( .44 Magnum as used by Clint Eastwood in the Dirty Harry films :blush: ) a customised Colt 1911 .45ACP and a S&W Model 19 .357 Magnum. Good job I didn't take a mate, who amongst others had a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum. My hand loads were then given the once over by one of the clubs 'resident experts'.

Anyhow, one or two of the younger ones mellowed a bit during the interview as we talked, but all in all the 'welcoming committee weren't'.

But the clincher for me which decided I wouldn't be going back was the way the range details operated. There were so many members range time was heavily restricted, so even though it was under cover which meant I could shoot all year round, I never went back.

I could never understand this; how some gun clubs almost viewed other shooters with animosity and suspicion. I'd been shooting handguns for quite a few years and happened to enquire about an indoor range near Heysham, Morecambe. When I contacted them they asked me to come over for a chat one evening and bring my handguns, and some ammo I'd loaded myself, which I did.

I was shown into a room where i was greeted by about half a dozen members, none of whom seemed particularly friendly, and one old boy who couldn't hide his disgust when he announced that he'd visited my club once and said 'there were a load o' blokes walking round with guns in holsters like Dirty 'arry'. It didn't seem to make any difference when I told him we shot a lot of PP1 & 2 and Practical as well as slow fire Bullseye Comp's. He was even less impressed when I opened my case to show them my S&W Model 29 ( .44 Magnum as used by Clint Eastwood in the Dirty Harry films :blush: ) a customised Colt 1911 .45ACP and a S&W Model 19 .357 Magnum. Good job I didn't take a mate, who amongst others had a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum. My hand loads were then given the once over by one of the clubs 'resident experts'.

Anyhow, one or two of the younger ones mellowed a bit during the interview as we talked, but all in all the 'welcoming committee weren't'.

But the clincher for me which decided I wouldn't be going back was the way the range details operated. There were so many members range time was heavily restricted, so even though it was under cover which meant I could shoot all year round, I never went back.

Disdain is often envy on the back foot! Should have asked to see what they were using but it probably wasn’t worth a glance! :innocent:

Disdain is often envy on the back foot! Should have asked to see what they were using but it probably wasn’t worth a glance! :innocent:

I think there were a lot of Walther, BritArms .32 semi autos and Mannhurin target revolvers, though one bloke did have a nice Webley MkIV.

The closure of our MOD range (outside) to civilians coincided with the opening of another only 20 min's away, in a disused quarry, and fortunately undercover. It's still on the go as far as I know, shooting blackpowder and .38/357 & .44 carbine.

Always fancied a go at psg it looks good.closest thing ive done to it was in the army when we used to practise snap shooting in lanes marked with mine tape with pop up targets appearing allover the place,good fun stalking then shooting going to cover then coming up and fighting through to the next.

One advantage of living close to the NJ/NJ state line. You cant buy ammo in NJ without a Fire Arms ID Card. No such law in NY.

Going shooting again Tuesday with my new friends. Got some .38 Special 130 Grain Full Metal Jacket. actually expensive ammo. $28 for 50. The AR stuff 5.56 is $7.99 for 50.

post-3795-0-62094000-1417369524_thumb.jpg

was looking at some old range photo's the other day of guns i use to legally own/shoot before all the **** hit the fan.

had a lovely mint Bren in 7.92mm an AR10 in 7.62 a Stirling 9mm to name but a few all shipped to Belgium to avoid the chopsaw.

not going to bother listing me pistols as i've had a good day.

we had a great club then if it existed someone had one you could shoot.

shoot as many different guns as you can and enjoy ,your in the right part of the world for it.

Shaggy,

I used to live in Nanuet, just on the other side of the border in NY. I take it you found Davis sporting goods then. For a time I worked in Ramsey outdoor on rt 17, right around the corner from you. If you haven't already, there is a gander mountain at Middleton, about 45 minutes north. There is also the Davis shooting range at Goshen.

The FOID card was a pain. I couldn't buy from the shop I worked in in NJ despite being a NY resident as I didn't have an FOID card. I refused to live in NJ for their gun laws (and plenty of other reasons).

You'll want to find a hunter's safety course soon also. They should start offering them in January i think.

Rick