pistol/handgun for dispatch

eddoakley

Who amongst the pw massive has a pistol for dispatch?

I have been meaning to get one sorted for ages but there is always something more pressing. But i intend to get the paperwork sorted over the next few weeks.

I have spoken to the feo about it and although I have plenty of good reasons O just know they are going to be obstructive. I have heard (and countered) some crazy arguements so far. For example when I explained to the feo that I take occasional clients stalking and therefor rely on their shooting meaning that there is more potential for "runners" and firstly I dont want to carry a rifle if they are and secondly a pistol is much safer when having to negotiate thick cover to find/dispatch the beast his argument was "do all professional guides have a pistol? No? Well why do you need one?"

My answer was simple. My neighbour doesnt have a car, he still needs to get to work but chooses a different option. Does that mean I dont need a car?

He didnt like that and came up with "well how have you managed up to now? You dont need one if you have done it differently before!"

Simple response again is that why should you never be allowed to improve a situation. Did you always wear a seatbelt in your car or did a change (in the law) make you realise there is a safer way?

I will have cover letters from deer managers, keepers and the owner of a pest control company who also explains that I will dispatch trapped foxes for them.

So I suppose my question is what arguements have others had to have to get the variation?

Also what tool do people actually use?

Edd

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you despatch animals on a regular basis you will find as I do a pistol will not be the best tool on most occasions, some injured/sick animals tend not to keep still enough to be despatched with a pistol because you have to get really close and scrambling under a bush to despatch an injured deer could be a nightmare if not dangerous. I use a single barrel .410 for all my despatching and its perfect also if broken down would fit in a backpack to take stalking if needed and your neighbours car and the seatbelt example you gave to your feo cant see him buying them as a reason for a pistol but good luck

Edited by foxy bingo

and your neighbours car and the seatbelt example you gave to your feo cant see him buying them as a reason for a pistol but good luck

The example of the car is not my "good reason" but en explanation of just because one person chooses to do something a certain way its not neccessarily the right way for everyone.

My point is why should I be prevented from doing something just because someone else cant be bothered.

Does everyone that goes stalking need a pistol? No...but some people have one....does that mean everyone should? No. Whats right for one is not always right for another.

As for another shot from a rifle or using a .410 then yes they are options but are they always the best options?

Edd

As for another shot from a rifle or using a .410 then yes they are options but are they always the best options?

Edd

We've never really felt it's been a problem for us to be honest. I usually feel I have enough to carry when out stalking for fox or deer, but only you know if it's a better option for you.

In most circumstances a .38 pistol would be the ideal tool for the coupdegra. I have never felt that I needed one to finish off a deer as I have allways shot again if necessary . Some times it can be a bit unnatural to use the rifle again on a very close target . Over the years befor all of the stupid requirements that now need to be put on tickets to Finnish off wounded or sick beasts , I would put down live stock with a .38 pistol . A super tool for the job . If I remember correctly any revolver used for humane dispatch has to be restricted to two shot only . Four of the chambers have to be blocked off .

Harnser

Who amongst the pw massive has a pistol for dispatch?

I have been meaning to get one sorted for ages but there is always something more pressing. But i intend to get the paperwork sorted over the next few weeks.

I have spoken to the feo about it and although I have plenty of good reasons O just know they are going to be obstructive. I have heard (and countered) some crazy arguements so far. For example when I explained to the feo that I take occasional clients stalking and therefor rely on their shooting meaning that there is more potential for "runners" and firstly I dont want to carry a rifle if they are and secondly a pistol is much safer when having to negotiate thick cover to find/dispatch the beast his argument was "do all professional guides have a pistol? No? Well why do you need one?"

My answer was simple. My neighbour doesnt have a car, he still needs to get to work but chooses a different option. Does that mean I dont need a car?

He didnt like that and came up with "well how have you managed up to now? You dont need one if you have done it differently before!"

Simple response again is that why should you never be allowed to improve a situation. Did you always wear a seatbelt in your car or did a change (in the law) make you realise there is a safer way?

I will have cover letters from deer managers, keepers and the owner of a pest control company who also explains that I will dispatch trapped foxes for them.

So I suppose my question is what arguements have others had to have to get the variation?

Also what tool do people actually use?

Edd

What deer are you shooting?

If I were your feo my argument would be, why bother carrying another/additional fire arm if you already have one that is suitable for dispatching a wounded deer.

You may reply by saying that a hand gun is a safer option in close proximity.

And I think that is a pretty poor reason, shooting a wounded deer even if grounded and immobile can easily and very safely be dispatched by the very rifle that was initially used to create this scenario.

Just another thing for you to think about.

If I were your feo my argument would be, why bother carrying another/additional fire arm if you already have one that is suitable for dispatching a wounded deer.

You may reply by saying that a hand gun is a safer option in close proximity.

And I think that is a pretty poor reason, shooting a wounded deer even if grounded and immobile can easily and very safely be dispatched by the very rifle that was initially used to create this scenario.

Just another thing for you to think about.

not that easy to swing a rifle in thick cover and hit a spot to drop a deer. I have a my own method for this on roe but some wont like it and I haven't got me tin hat today

Why is it even some people even in the shooting world have an issue with some one wanting/needing a pistol for humane dispatch , i would think a low power pistol round is a safer round for close up dispatch & a more compact option then a 410 (unless a 410 pistol). If we as shooters have an issue with a pistol for this then we have no hope with the public or some (most) police forces. As for the quote From Harnser about restricted number of shots this is not in the H/O guide lines but something the police have added in as is their way. I am sure this has been successfully challenged in court by someone who had this restriction placed on them..

I can have basically what I want here, currently have a .357 and a 9mm, however , the use the OP wants them for you are better off with a 410 shotty, pistols in closed spaces with game that might get up and run again are a nightmare. This is especially true if like me it is pig you are dealing with, I prefer to follow up with my very short and pointy 9,3X62 and a set of open sights.Do I think you guys should be able to have a pistol, yep, but their uses are limited. Downed and all but dead game........shot or car accident..........and farm type animals. After that its just the fun of shooting pistols.

I use to have a .32 for humane dispatch that did the job perfectly .I gave it up 7 years ago because I seldom used it but just lately I have been doing call out's for deer RTA's so I'm thinking of applying for it back .Having spoke to my feo he doesn't see a problem ..we shall see !

I'm a vet. I have three .32 pistols and a .410 pistol on my FAC. I can't see the need for it stalking and I've attended many RTAs and only used the pistol once, and that was because it was in the car. If I got a call to go out now I wouldn't take one.

The real use is dispatch of horses. I shoot cows and sheep, but the captive bolt that is not even on the FAC gets as much use and lives in the car.

If I was a FEO I'm not convinced that any professional deer stalkers have good reason for a pistol. The majority of people who chase after them seem to want one.

I'm a vet. I have three .32 pistols and a .410 pistol on my FAC. I can't see the need for it stalking and I've attended many RTAs and only used the pistol once, and that was because it was in the car. If I got a call to go out now I wouldn't take one.

There is a vet in the club I shoot at, there would be training a few times a year organised for the vets. Most have handguns and use them for humane dispatch. Maybe they are used less by vets in the rest of the UK. As for need the police would not approve any if they thought they were not needed on some occasion.

The real use is dispatch of horses. I shoot cows and sheep,

What if its a horse cow or sheep that is involved in the RTA.

Edited by ordnance

A silenced .410 is a lot more discrete and a lot safer if the beast is on the road.

We do use the pistols, just not for RTAs and never even contemplate taking one stalking. The majority of professional guides seem to think the same.

(And I do stalk deer and I have had to shoot animals more than once, I even have a real (brief) follow up in my DSC 2 portfolio as a beast moved as I took the shot and went low.)

If the phone went now with a deer RTA I'd take the moderated .410, the 6.5X55 and have the bolt gun under the seat in the car. Pistols stay at home.

The real use is dispatch of horses. I shoot cows and sheep, but the captive bolt that is not even on the FAC gets as much use and lives in the car.

If I was a FEO I'm not convinced that any professional deer stalkers have good reason for a pistol. The majority of people who chase after them seem to want one.

How comes you need 3 pistols??

I think a lot of people have missed my point, or even a couple of them. The easy one is "what do people use?"

The other is that I dont need to have a better argument than the feo- I just need to have "good reason".

Why shouldnt I be granted the variation if I have a perfectly valid use for any firearm?

We (or certainly I) always hear that feos are not there to trip us up but to help us through the processes.

There seem to be lots of people saying that they wouldnt use/dont need a pistol but should their decision mean that nobody should be allowed one?

Lots of people say that a .243 is a big enough caliber for any animal in this country, thats their choice - does that mean nobody should have a bigger caliber?????

Food for though?

Edd

It would be handy to have a revolver with you to Finnish off any deer that was not dead . If I am not sure that a deer is dead or not I will shoot it again in the neck ,were it joins the shoulders . Red stags and fallow bucks can be very dangerous if not killed dead . Although I have never used a pistol for finishing off deer I can see were it could be very handy . When shooting again it is always awkward to sight down the rifle at very close range ,I tend to sight down the side or the top of the barrel ,at close range . One does have to consider the dangers of shooting up close with a .308 . It would certainly in my opinion be safer to use a pistol for the coupdegra. If you think you need one ,then go ahead and apply .

Harnser