underseal

darren m

Waste oil would seal the underside for a while, but it would also pose a safety risk for other road users, in particular bikers. Waxoil stays where it's put, waste oil doesn't. It would wash off in the rain with road spray thrown up by the tyres etc. Imo Waxoil is the best stuff on the market at present in terms of value for money. Alternatively there's Dynax S50, which is reputedly fantastic. Having never used it I can't vouch for it, but there are more than enough positive reviews about it online.

Waste oil would seal the underside for a while, but it would also pose a safety risk for other road users, in particular bikers. Waxoil stays where it's put, waste oil doesn't. It would wash off in the rain with road spray thrown up by the tyres etc. Imo Waxoil is the best stuff on the market at present in terms of value for money. Alternatively there's Dynax S50, which is reputedly fantastic. Having never used it I can't vouch for it, but there are more than enough positive reviews about it online.

I do not get that you are not going to get buckets of used oil and just chuck it at the bottom on you truck if painted on or lightly sprayed on I would have thought that there was no more risk to others than normal leaks from engines gear box or fuel leaks wax oil also rubs off.

It doesn't take buckets of oil to create a slip hazard. I'm not saying it's the worst idea in the world, and it's been used to good effect on many vehicles, but I wouldn't personally suppport it as a method of rust prevention. Wax oil may rub off, but it won't drip off when it gets wet.

Edited by Cannon

Waxoil is rubbish. It melts and runs off in hot weather has no anti corrosion properties and is messy should you need to work underneath the car.

If undercar is immaculate then epoxy primer from lechler brushed on followed by dinitrol underseal.

If undercar is a bit tatty then use the two dinitrol products one is 3125 followed by 4941 to finish. Gives great anti corrosion protection and and tough durable finish. But before applying you must make sure underneath is clean and DRY! You mustn't trap any moisture.

If that is so why then is it that if you look under a car/truck that has had an oil leak for a long time there is never any rust under the oil on the body/frame ???

if its a continuous leak it stays wet to seal out water, acid in it will attack the paint, fix the oil leak and see how much rust appears after 6 months, if you must use oil buy the cheapest 20/50 oil on the bay and use that

Probably best to buy a car/truck that has galvanized/good rust treatment from new My 2000 Jeep XJ still has hardly any rust in it to my way of thinking any car/truck made after 1995 should not rust if it has been looked after you will get the odd spot of rust on anything but if it was properly treated when it was made it should not rust.